PDA

View Full Version : Starting Out - Advice Please

Kay
17-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I just had a quick nosey around the forum and everyone seemed so friendly, so I thought I'd post and ask a few questions!

I've thought about becoming a childminder recently, as I've been thinking about what I'd like to be doing in a few years. I graduated as a Social Worker last year and while I enjoy it, there is alot of stress involved! I am planning on starting a family in the next few years and do not want to work full time/ away from home when I have children, and feel I would really enjoy being a childminder.

My plan is to work as a childminder once I have my own family, but would like to do the training as soon as possible in time for then.

I don't want to leave Social Work, but always complain that I don't get to spend enough time with the kids I work with anyway, and that's the part of the job I was looking forward to most!

Has anyone else changed careers like this? Also, at which level would I most likely need to start at with the childminding training as I have a degree?

Thank you in advance,

Kay

christine e
17-07-2008, 05:36 AM
Hi

Re training everyone has to ICP (introduction of Childminding Practice) before reg (or shortly afterwards) and has to do a 12 hour paediatric first aid before reg.

Cx

sarah707
17-07-2008, 06:32 AM
I came from a background in teaching and computing to come into childminding ... all childminders start on the same level with the ICP and first aid course like Christine said.

You need patience, a sense of humour and a love of paperwork (sadly) and of course children to be a childminder nowadays.

First step is to contact your local CIS (Children's Information Service) and see what courses etc they are offering.

Good luck and keep us posted! :D

katickles
17-07-2008, 07:52 AM
No more advice to add - but wanted to wish you good luck!

Kay
17-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Thank you!

I tried contacting the CIS today (I used to the work for the one in Gateshead one summer funnily enough!) but they're on strike, the same as me, lol. I'll try again tomorrow.

I've seen on the forum that there is alot of paperwork, but I don't think there could be anywhere near as much as I have to do currently!

I'm looking forward to the courses, I'm just hoping that they will fit around my current job.

Thanks again,

Kay