PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted big conversation - latest news!

sarah707
01-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Next steps in The #OfstedBigConversation | June O'Sullivan's blog | London Early Year's Foundation (http://www.leyf.org.uk/blog/next-steps-in-the-ofstedbigconversation/)

An update from June O'Sullivan who has had a recent meeting with Ofsted :D

sarah707
01-11-2013, 04:53 PM
More information from Linda Thornton here :D

Ofsted makes a robust response to the sector (http://www.optimus-education.com/ofsted-makes-robust-response-sectors-big-conversation-demands)

Simona
03-11-2013, 11:34 AM
#OBC is moving in the right direction with Ofsted willing to engage with us...so half the mission has been accomplished
Ofsted have sent June O'Sullivan the link to the 8 Ofsted Regions which are now operating
Ofsted | Regional Directors (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/about-us/how-we-are-structured/regional-directors/regional-directors)

I have attended the first #OBC meeting and I am determined to attend more and intend to make sure ALL CMs views are represented widely
This is my message to #OBC who are part of the Linkedin group and who are now having to think how to take up the offer of interaction with Ofsted

''Personally I feel Ofsted's response is very positive and encouraging....it looks like #OBG has achieved its goal of positive meaningful interaction

It may be worth considering 'restructuring' the #OBC groups and setting up 8 'steering groups' each located within Ofsted 8 Regional areas and connected to the Regional Directors who may be invited, at some point, to attend the meetings.

I would also suggest the steering groups have 3 co-chairs each representing the inspected providers: day nurseries, preschools and CMs
The co-chairs can then feed back to those unable to attend and also link to the representing associations...just a thought! ''

I don't know how you feel but if you have any suggestions please share here as I feel not all cms can attend meetings or get feedback but ALL need to be included and listened to and, eventually, understand how Ofsted operate and hear their input....that is why I have suggested 3 co-chairs each representing the inspected groups.

Some Ofsted Regional Directors have already been invited to attend future meetings and the reply is positive.

Look at the Ofsted Regional areas and try to identify where you are and share your thoughts.
Thank you

Simona
03-11-2013, 11:48 AM
In the last few minutes the suggestion I made to create the 8 steering groups has taken off and looks like they are looking for volunteers!!!

Those on twitter can now follow the discussions @OfstedBigC

These are the very recent tweets:

we need to talk! ‏@OfstedBigC 28m
Suggestion is we get 8 steering groups to represent the 8 regions...I will email the attendees to the NW #ofstedbigconversation meeting 1/2

we need to talk! ‏@OfstedBigC 28m
2/2 to see who wants to put their name forward...the regions all need to share the same agenda issues common from meetings held

Simona
04-11-2013, 02:46 PM
For those interested #OBC is moving towards creating the 8 steering groups in the next 2 weeks...my little tought has turned into reality and I ma very pleased

This is the latest newsletter received from #OBC website with all the information
I hope CMs will put their names forward to co-chair the groups and represent CMs ...subscribe to the website for updates

Next steps in The #OfstedBigConversation
Dear Sector,

#OFSTEDBIGCONVERSATION We are delighted to hear that June O'Sullivan met Sue Gregory, Director of Early Childhood at Ofsted, and Dee Gasson, Principal Officer of Development in Early Years. June called for a system where Ofsted could talk to practitioners on a regular basis. Sue Gregory has agreed to develop a regional system and set up a series of meetings across the country.

I would like to suggest the regional meetings already hosted for #OfstedBigConversation would be the ideal platform to get the ball rolling. Using the initial #OfstedBigConversation regional groups to organise 8 steering groups each located within Ofsted's 8 Regional areas and connected to the Regional Directors.

Each steering group to have a Chair and Co-Chair with representation from Day Nurseries, Pre-Schools. Child Minders in the private and voluntary sector. In addition we would welcome representatives from the main organisations and LA's. If I have missed anyone, please let me know? Let's try and get these steering groups in place within a two week timescale. Regional leaders please email your list and see who wants to get involved in the bigger #OfstedBigConversation across the country!

See June's blog here where she outlines the discussion . Main points below

What will we achieve with these meetings? 1.Ofsted will consult with the sector on potential changes to the system.
2.Ofsted also agrees to start a conversation as to how the Ofsted concept of quality improvement could evolve.
3.There will be a discussion and clarification on complaints driven inspections.
4.They have agreed to clarify the notion of the '47 month cycle' and when inspections happen.
5.They have agreed to form a relationship with each regional lead.

Finally we feel the sector have a chance to speak direct, share their frustrations and be proactive. The sector have felt bullied, powerless, frustrated, angry and depressed by their Ofsted experiences this last year, and now we are hoping this is a light at the end of a very long tunnel.

If everyone is ready to carry the regional meetings forward let us know who you are, where you are and your attendance list when you have it. We will then create a new #OfstedBigConversation map of England with names and places along with a shared agenda and a framework for reporting. Email: info@thebigofstedconversation.co.uk

•Don't forget to register on #OfstedBigConversation website to receive updates.
•Follow the conversation on Nursery World Linkedin Group

OFSTED Regional Areas and Representatives:
•Regional Director London: Debbie Jones.
•Regional Director South East: Matthew Coffey. Matthew is also Director Learning and Skills.
•Regional Director South West: Lorna Fitzjohn
•Regional Director North East, Yorkshire and Humber: Nick Hudson.
•Regional Director North West: Michael Cladingbowl. Michael is also Director, Schools.
•Regional Director East Midlands: Louise Soden.
•Regional Director West Midlands: Lorna Fitzjohn.
•Regional Director East of England: Sean Harford

gef918
04-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Well done Simona.

sarah707
04-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Thank you for sharing :D

Simona
04-11-2013, 10:42 PM
The original people who organized the first meetings will be writing to those who attended back in September and will be asking for people to volunteer and form the steering group.

I have volunteered to be a co-chair as a CM...not sure which region I will be in as I am not clear whether I am London or South East....so please contact them to say you would like to chair as a CM...it will be excellent info sharing and will keep Cms updated

The list of those who organized the meetings is in the #OBC website...good luck!!

Simona
05-11-2013, 01:23 PM
More here

Ofsted agrees regional meetings with childcare sector | Children & Young People Now (http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/1140273/ofsted-agrees-regional-meetings-childcare-sector?utm_content=&utm_campaign=051113_Daily&utm_source=Children%20%26%20Young%20People%20Now&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cypnow.co.uk%2Fcyp%2Fnew s%2F1140273%2Fofsted-agrees-regional-meetings-childcare-sector)

sarah707
05-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I have volunteered too! :clapping:

... after a chivvying phone call from Simona! Thank you :D

Simona
05-11-2013, 06:14 PM
I have volunteered too! :clapping:

... after a chivvying phone call from Simona! Thank you :D

So now the North and South are connected here...lets find some CMs from East and West too

I am so pleased Sarah...joined up thinking now:jump for joy:

AdeleMarie88
05-11-2013, 06:40 PM
How do you volunteer? I'm in London x

Simona
05-11-2013, 09:24 PM
How do you volunteer? I'm in London x

The best way is to subscribe to the #OBC newsletter which you will get in your inbox with the latest

#OfstedBigConversation: Home (http://www.thebigofstedconversation.co.uk/)

The main discussions take place on LinkedIn in the Nursery World group...I will share any info that comes from there
That I understand those who held the original meetings will be contacting those who attended in Sept to inform them of the restructure and next steps
You can contact the organizer of your area and volunteer

These were the original 9 but there will be 8 groups now
REGIONAL MEETINGS - #OfstedBigConversation (http://www.thebigofstedconversation.co.uk/category/regional-meetings/)

Lots will be going on in the next 2 weeks to get everything up and running...keep an eye on this thread

rickysmiths
06-11-2013, 01:20 PM
The original people who organized the first meetings will be writing to those who attended back in September and will be asking for people to volunteer and form the steering group.

I have volunteered to be a co-chair as a CM...not sure which region I will be in as I am not clear whether I am London or South East....so please contact them to say you would like to chair as a CM...it will be excellent info sharing and will keep Cms updated

The list of those who organized the meetings is in the #OBC website...good luck!!

Just interested who have you volunteered to be a co chair with? Is it with June O'Sullivan who organised the Big Osted Conversation meetings and if so for people in different areas who do they need to contact to volunteer like you?

Simona
06-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Just interested who have you volunteered to be a co chair with? Is it with June O'Sullivan who organised the Big Osted Conversation meetings and if so for people in different areas who do they need to contact to volunteer like you?

All the information is on the #OBC website and I have posted the link below for all to be updated/subscribe to
The website will inform on how the groups are progressing

The main discussion takes place on Nursery World LinkedIn group and I am sharing as much as I can here and also on my Independent CMs Linkedin group but there will be other ways CMs are sharing across the country

rickysmiths
06-11-2013, 01:46 PM
All the information is on the #OBC website and I have posted the link below for all to be updated/subscribe to
The website will inform on how the groups are progressing

The main discussion takes place on Nursery World LinkedIn group and I am sharing as much as I can here and also on my Independent CMs Linkedin group but there will be other ways CMs are sharing across the country

I am not on Linkedin. There is nothing on the OBC website about how one can volunteer as a co chair or who you should contact to do so. I rang June O'Sullivan and she knows nothing either, they have not fixed any dated or venues for meetings and she had no idea what I meant by volunteering as a co chair?

Would you be able to pm me the information if you feel you can't post it here please because I would be interested in getting involved in my area.

Simona
06-11-2013, 02:02 PM
I am not on Linkedin. There is nothing on the OBC website about how one can volunteer as a co chair or who you should contact to do so. I rang June O'Sullivan and she knows nothing either, they have not fixed any dated or venues for meetings and she had no idea what I meant by volunteering as a co chair?

Would you be able to pm me the information if you feel you can't post it here please because I would be interested in getting involved in my area.

It has all just started so the news will be trickling out slowly I assume
No dates fixed as yet because the groups are reforming
The #OBC website has information I can see here

Even though you are not on LinkedIn we are sharing in several places so will be there for you to pick up
My suggestion was to have the meetings chaired by people representing Daycare, preschools and CMs and it is confirmed in the website...2 weeks have been given as the time limit to get this going...if things change we will be informed and shared

although I have volunteered it does not mean I have been accepted...I just have to wait for the organizers to decide and report ...in any case I would try my best to attend the meeting as I did in September as a participant

Simona
06-11-2013, 04:29 PM
More info here

Ofsted agrees regional meetings with childcare sector | Children & Young People Now (http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/1140273/ofsted-agrees-regional-meetings-childcare-sector?utm_content=#)!

rickysmiths
06-11-2013, 04:41 PM
It has all just started so the news will be trickling out slowly I assume
No dates fixed as yet because the groups are reforming
The #OBC website has information I can see here

Even though you are not on LinkedIn we are sharing in several places so will be there for you to pick up
My suggestion was to have the meetings chaired by people representing Daycare, preschools and CMs and it is confirmed in the website...2 weeks have been given as the time limit to get this going...if things change we will be informed and shared

although I have volunteered it does not mean I have been accepted...I just have to wait for the organizers to decide and report ...in any case I would try my best to attend the meeting as I did in September as a participant

Thank you, so nothing has been agreed yet which would explain why no one at OBC knew what I was talking about when I asked about volunteering to co chair at a group!

Simona
06-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Thank you, so nothing has been agreed yet which would explain why no one at OBC knew what I was talking about when I asked about volunteering to co chair at a group!

This is from the website itself ...I am sure you will hear soon

Each steering group to have a Chair and Co-Chair with representation from Day Nurseries, Pre-Schools. Child Minders in the private and voluntary sector. In addition we would welcome representatives from the main organisations and LA's. If I have missed anyone, please let me know?

Let's try and get these steering groups in place within a two week timescale. Regional leaders please email your list and see who wants to get involved in the bigger #OfstedBigConversation across the country!