PDA

View Full Version : Hi there...i am new and in need a some help

leigh2013
21-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Hi there

I am very new to all this. I am not yet a registered childminder as i am a bit confused with where to start.
I am a senior nursery nurse at the moment and hold an NVQ level 3 in childcare learning and development I am looking at becoming a
childminder. I am looking to start early next year. Where would I start I have written quite a few policies and the general rules of my business.
I have also heard that I need to do a pre childminding course. does with stil stand if i am a level 3 childminder.
also can i register without having safety gates, fire alarms etc. I am also having my garden made safe Can I register if there is still some things to be finished in my garden and what comes first.
I hope this makes sense

thanks leigh x

Rick
22-10-2013, 06:47 AM
Hi and welcome :waving:

Yes you must complete a local authority course regardless of whether you hold other qualifications.

You will learn during this course what policies you will need to write.

You will need to risk assess your house and decide what safety features you will need.

Hopefully this thread will help you :thumbsup:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

JCrakers
22-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Welcome to the mad house :D

Ring your LA and express your interest. You will need to do a pre reg course, First Aid, health check and some other stuff that is hopefully on the handy link that MTK007 posted :thumbsup:

Hopefully someone will come and look at your house and give you help to improve it and you will gets lots of info on here about paperwork/EYFS

Good luck

kay2134
22-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Hello Leigh

So glad I found this thread. My name is kay I'm 25 live with my partner and 4 month old daughter. I also have a level 3 in childcare and education and have previously worked in nurseries and as a nanny total off 7 years childcare experience ouch that makes me feel old lol!

I'm looking into becoming a childminder also- my mind boggles I never anticipated how much would have to be completed before being able to register :-o

Hope you don't mind me jumping on your band wagon and using the info given :-D ( surely better than starting the same thread again)

Good luck!!

Kay

leigh2013
23-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Hi everyone

Thanks so much for all your help. Just another quick question. I am making my garden safe as it has high walls which could become a danger therefore I am putting fences up and new turf and things. Do I need to complete this before the course or can I get the course started ?
Kay I am so glad I have found someone in the same boat. Hopefully we can fight through together

Leigh x

shortstuff
23-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Hi everyone

Thanks so much for all your help. Just another quick question. I am making my garden safe as it has high walls which could become a danger therefore I am putting fences up and new turf and things. Do I need to complete this before the course or can I get the course started ?
Kay I am so glad I have found someone in the same boat. Hopefully we can fight through together

Leigh x

You will normally need to have things safe before children start so to complete the course is fine as after the course and all other requirements are sorted you then get a visit from ofsted.

watford wizz
23-10-2013, 10:14 AM
I moved mid minding to my current home garden very unsuitable and not passed by Ofsted but still aloud to work as long as provided proof of other out door space used. We used local parks, church hall toddler groups and local leisure centre so Ofsted quite happy. Kept them informed of garden developments/risk asses ect and sent pics of finished garden they confirmed ok to use.

dannij
24-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Hi, sorry to jump in..
I am looking into the possibilities of me being able to childmind in my home i have read up about all the documents/courses you need to complete ect but just looking at how to calculate how many children i can care for at one time and i only have one room i can use to calculate.

Do i calculate space on floor space alone or can i use sofa space? I have two large leather sofas in my lounge that take up a fair amount of space.

Also when it comes to a sleep area im confused weather or not i can use a room upstairs? I have an office/spare room which would be ideal ... I already have several stair gates in my house as i have a two year old

Any help would be greatly appreciated

sazzylou
17-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Hi all

Im new to all this too really confused if im honest ive paid for my course but waiting for my login details as im doing the online one.

X

moggy
17-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Hi, sorry to jump in..

Also when it comes to a sleep area im confused weather or not i can use a room upstairs? I have an office/spare room which would be ideal ... I already have several stair gates in my house as i have a two year old

Any help would be greatly appreciated

It is best to get as much of the house registered as you can from the outset, you never know what you want to do in the future and it is handy to have options like using any upstairs room for naps. Otherwise you have to go back to Ofsted and get rooms added. A room does not need to be 100% toddler-proof to be registered: we have an office room upstairs with a travel cot for babies to sleep- they can not reach anything from the travel cot so it is safe. Stair gates are good, they should be part of your risk assessment.

bunyip
18-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Hi there

I am very new to all this. I am not yet a registered childminder as i am a bit confused with where to start.
I am a senior nursery nurse at the moment and hold an NVQ level 3 in childcare learning and development I am looking at becoming a
childminder. I am looking to start early next year. Where would I start I have written quite a few policies and the general rules of my business.
I have also heard that I need to do a pre childminding course. does with stil stand if i am a level 3 childminder.
also can i register without having safety gates, fire alarms etc. I am also having my garden made safe Can I register if there is still some things to be finished in my garden and what comes first.
I hope this makes sense

thanks leigh x

Hi Leigh (and all the other new enquirers on this thread) :waving:

Check with your LA and ask pacey (formerly NCMA) for advice - they're very good at supporting new starters.

When I registered, the inspectors would accept a lot of things not being in place just so long as you were clear about the need to have them there when you opened fr business. Some equipment (eg. high chair, pushchair, possible the safety gate depending on your premises) might only be needed if you have children of a certain age.

IIWY I'd get the fire alarms in asap. First for your own safety, but also cos I think it sends an important message to the inspector about your philosophy on safety. :thumbsup:

Hope it all goes well. :)