PDA

View Full Version : Need help!!

tamlin
20-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Do I need to have a "mains operated" carbon monoxide installed, or will a battery operated one be suffice?
Thanks

Rick
20-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Mine is battery operated

rickysmiths
20-10-2013, 03:12 PM
Mine is battery operated.

lilac_dragon
20-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Have I missed something? Are these compulsory now?

CH1957
20-10-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't have one, are we supposed to?

blue bear
20-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Are you in Scotland, I think it's a mains one only in Scotland but battery is fine in England.

lizduncan72
20-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Are you in Scotland, I think it's a mains one only in Scotland but battery is fine in England.

Has to be mains in Scotland x

Bumble Beez
20-10-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm in England and have a battery operated one :)

Sarah x

bunyip
20-10-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm in England and have a battery-operated one. I also keep a date record of weekly/monthly tests and checks on it, and keep the manufacturer's handbook filed with my safety case. My inspector said that was all fine. :thumbsup:

Out of interest, exactly who wants you to think it has to be mains-operated? I ask because I'm getting an increasing number of communications from my DO and from pacey, saying "Ofsted expects...." this that or the other. I've begun questioning this sort of thing back at them, as I think they should be sticking up for us and asking Ofsted why they think they can create new rules when their remit is to regulate according to the existing rules. :mad:

lizduncan72
20-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Sorry, just reread your post!! Carbon monoxide detector doesn't have to be mains in Scotland, I read your post as smoke detector!! Been a long weekend lol

cathtee
20-10-2013, 06:51 PM
I don't have one, do we have to have one?

caz3007
20-10-2013, 06:58 PM
I have one and its battery. I don't think its a requirement but as I have a gas fire in my playroom and my boiler is quite old we got one for our own piece of mind. Mrs O only asked me about smoke alarms the other day and I pointed out my carbon monoxide one to her

bunyip
20-10-2013, 06:59 PM
I don't have one, do we have to have one?

Carbon monoxide poisoning - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Carbon-monoxide-poisoning/Pages/Introduction.aspx)

It's your call.

I choose life. :thumbsup:

Bumble Beez
20-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Carbon monoxide poisoning - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Carbon-monoxide-poisoning/Pages/Introduction.aspx) It's your call. I choose life. :thumbsup:

Seconded bunyip :thumbsup:

Sarah x

ja-lula-belli
20-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Mine is battery operated but they didn't ask if I even had one in my inspection. I am in Wales. But I do not have a gas or fire of any sort so maybe That's why?

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

Rick
20-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Mine is battery operated but they didn't ask if I even had one in my inspection. I am in Wales. But I do not have a gas or fire of any sort so maybe That's why?

Ja-Lula-Bell*****minding

Mine has a little green light telling me if it is working still and it sounds if the battery is running low. If an inspector asked I would tell them it is checked every morning. It should be checked whether it is battery or mains operated as either can fail or the alarm can fail. There's no indication that a mains alarm is better, if anything there is more chance if it accidentally being turned off

ja-lula-belli
20-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Yes That's true actually mine flashes green time show it's working and same with firealarms beeps if battery going.

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

FloraDora
20-10-2013, 07:39 PM
I had my Fire check yesterday....lovely young firemen ...

They gave me new 10 year battery life smoke alarms .. All enclosed ..said that was all I needed - only really big houses ( I have a 4 bed detached) need the mains type ... According to Staffordshire Fire Brigade - I asked him if my fire blanket was positioned ok and he said the latest recommendation is that nobody has fire blankets - they just get out !!

Interesting!

bunyip
21-10-2013, 06:35 AM
I had my Fire check yesterday....lovely young firemen ...

They gave me new 10 year battery life smoke alarms .. All enclosed ..said that was all I needed - only really big houses ( I have a 4 bed detached) need the mains type ... According to Staffordshire Fire Brigade - I asked him if my fire blanket was positioned ok and he said the latest recommendation is that nobody has fire blankets - they just get out !!

Interesting!

I can understand your hunky fireman's comment about mains systems for larger houses. The chief benefit is they're linked: one alarm triggered means they all go off together. Obviously more important if your premises has an 'east wing' and not just 2 up 2 down. :thumbsup:

I'm more surprised at his take on fire blankets. Simply evacuating is not the greatest help you could give to a lo whose clothes were ablaze. :eek:

Whatever the system, all alarms need to be tested regularly. Having just had a mains system fitted, this is a bit of a palava, as I have to turn circuits off and on, and check the back-up battery too (all mains alarms should have battery back-up in case of power cuts.) On the plus side, we have a lot fewer false alarms now. The mains system allowed us to replace the kitchen/dining room smoke alarm with a heat alarm, which knows the difference between a fire and somebody merely making toast or sausages. :)

Be very wary of guarantees and so-called "long life" battery alarms. We had three 10-year smoke alarms fitted by our local hunky fireman, and they all stopped working within 18 months. :panic:

SammySplodger
22-10-2013, 09:46 PM
Agree with bunyip about the 10 year smoke alarms - one of mine lasted just 3 months! Went off one night at 4 am (no fire or smoke - faulty!) and would not stop! It was unopenable - Could not just pull battery out, had to smash it up with a hammer...

Firemen had same opinion about my fire blanket and extinguisher - don't bother tackling a blaze - just get out! (although I take your point about clothing). So I have them as decorative items for Mrs O to admire and tick boxes rather than argue about requirements or not....

Have CO as well - make sure you position correctly - floats at about head height. If its too high or low it won't pick it up apparently. Mine is 5ft 6 from floor.

SammySplodger
22-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Oh and re: electric smoke alarms - what about power cuts? I had wired ones in attic bedroom of my previous house (fire regs) but I also had a battery one as backup.

bunyip
23-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Our mains alarms were fitted by the electrician who did a complete rewire of the house. He said it was now obligatory for licenced sparkies to fit a linked mains system as part of the job before they could issue the certificate of work. Any such system would have to have a battery back-up, instead of the older mains systems which just went off if the power supply cut out. (No idea if this is correct: if I'd known the first thing about electrics, then we probably wouldn't have needed to get a man in. :rolleyes: )

If you have a mains system, do not get lulled into a false sense of security. They still need to be tested, and so does the battery because batteries slowly discharge their power ofver a period of time, even if they are never 'used in anger.' :thumbsup:

tulip0803
23-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Our area had Fire Protection training and we were told the same thing. Don't bother with fire extinguishers unless you need it to get out. The only reason to use a fire blanket is if someone is alight (heaven forbid). Do not fight fire just get out and call fire brigade. Things have got worse and people have been badly injured by trying to use the extinguishers and blankets so they now advise to just get out.

lizduncan72
23-10-2013, 11:12 AM
I was told the same by local fire brigade-their advise was get out and call them, they're trained to fight fires,we're not! We should do our job by getting out and getting the kids out and safe and let them do their job in fighting the fire

bluebell3
26-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Our local fire brigade wouldnt' come out to inspect my house - they only do it for at risk groups like the elderly. Fortunately we have electric fire alarms so the electirican checked it all out

SammySplodger
26-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Our local fire brigade wouldnt' come out to inspect my house - they only do it for at risk groups like the elderly. Fortunately we have electric fire alarms so the electirican checked it all out

We ARE classified as an 'at risk' group - a house with several young children. My fire brigade have this on their website and were more than happy to visit me. I'd ask again or email.

bluebell3
26-10-2013, 09:13 PM
ok thank you - will do! although we only have retained fire fighters in the area so may have been to do with that.

bunyip
27-10-2013, 09:02 AM
We ARE classified as an 'at risk' group - a house with several young children. My fire brigade have this on their website and were more than happy to visit me. I'd ask again or email.

This depends entirely on where you live. We were an "at risk" group a few years ago, but are no longer. Or, put another way, budget cuts decide who is now expendable. 'At risk' groups here are now such as the elderly, people with disabilities and families on benefit. I have no idea who decided that being out of work makes people more flammable, but there you have it. :huh:

tas
27-10-2013, 10:12 AM
I have mains wired smoke alarms which have a back up battery but I don't have a co detector are they expensive and am I suppose to have one?

bunyip
27-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Mine cost less than £20.

Since I can neither breathe carbon monoxide nor detect it any other way, I regard it as money well spent. :)

clairer
27-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Mine is battery operated. Never heard of mains installed?!