PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone policy clarification!

hectors house
18-10-2013, 02:31 PM
I was just looking at Ofsted inspection reports which have been carried out in my town since the new EYFS came in last Sept and found this comment on someones report

"However, she does not have a clear policy and procedures for the use of mobile phones and cameras in the setting, which is a breach of a legal requirement."

I have checked my safeguarding policy and I mention everything that was on Sarah707's blog about when I use my camera and how I take, store and use photographs - but my policy doesn't say that parent's shouldn't use their phones in my setting - just wondered if the words in the Ofsted inspection mean mobile phone and camera use by the childminder or other people coming into her setting, as I know one of our Children's Centre does have a sign displayed saying that parents are not allowed to use their phones or take photos.

I don't have a problem with people using their phones in my home, reading texts or answering calls - no-one is here for long enough or left alone with the mindees to take photos anyway. What does everyone else do?

sarah707
18-10-2013, 04:19 PM
I don't have anything about parents using mobile phones in my policy - I have a sentence in my welcome booklet asking parents to please put their phones away when they are picking up their children because they will want to tell them about their day.

I updated my over 8s policy recently to include a line about older children bringing phones so they know they are not allowed to take photos ...

Hth :D

Bluebell
18-10-2013, 05:09 PM
I find the mobile phone policy requirement for childminders a really interesting one because we work on our own. My mobile phone policy is very clear but say the opposite of the recommended model one -but its my policy and its clear so i hope i wouldn't be picked up on it!

it says i need my mobile phone to take photos and record children's learning. I have it on me at all times. I do not confiscate it off myself as i work on my own. I do not have a designated mobile phone area. visitors do not have their phones confiscated either but are not allowed to take photos of the children. and are never left alone with the children. along those lines.

It also includes my camera policy which says about photos of the children being deleted from the device once used and that i use images on a private parent page for facebook (which parents also sign a permission slip for)

miffy
18-10-2013, 05:18 PM
My policy says the use of cameras, including mobile phone cameras, is not allowed by parents, carers or visitors. It doesn't say anything about taking a phone call on a mobile which is fine as far as I'm concerned. I also have a paragraph about older children not bringing devices that can take photos.

Miffy xx

hectors house
18-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Thank you - think to cover myself I will put a small sign up next to my emergency evacuation poster reminding people not to take photos with phones or other electronic devices. I will point it out to inspector when they eventually come and run through my emergency evacuation proceedure at the same time - indicating where the fire exits are - while demonstrating how to tie a life jacket and blow an emergency whistle!! Oh and not forgetting to tell her that it is a strictly non smoking premises. :laughing:

FloraDora
18-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Discussed this with my DO this week as some nurseries in my area have gone completely overboard and are demanding that all visitors, even if you are just visiting for a meeting with a grown up to give up their mobile phone!!

We have all been DBS checked,
how many visitors do we actually have and
I am sure we will notice if someone uses their mobile phone to take a photo in our small homes.

Common sense is all that is needed ..... Trust has still got to be able to happen. Not everyone with a mobile phone is evil.

k1rstie
18-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Sometimes we do have to have a repair man in during the day. Not everything can wait till the weekend or after hours. Sometimes we have to say thank you very much for coming out at all.

Imagine you heating is not working......

Your chap turns up with one of those blue tooth things in his ear and a phone in hand and you say ' I'm terribly sorry, I need to confiscate your equipment, due to child protection' , he would either laugh, swear or turn straight round and walk out your door. Never to be seen again.

Your heating would still not be working........

christine e
18-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Sometimes we do have to have a repair man in during the day. Not everything can wait till the weekend or after hours. Sometimes we have to say thank you very much for coming out at all.

Imagine you heating is not working......

Your chap turns up with one of those blue tooth things in his ear and a phone in hand and you say ' I'm terribly sorry, I need to confiscate your equipment, due to child protection' , he would either laugh, swear or turn straight round and walk out your door. Never to be seen again.

Your heating would still not be working........

not forgetting that he might even need to use his phone to order that really important spare part to get your heating working again

christine e
18-10-2013, 11:17 PM
not forgetting that he might even need to use his phone to order that really important spare part to get your heating working again

or to be 'pc' his or her phone!