PDA

View Full Version : Children in nurseries more likely to have behavioural problems

Simona
17-10-2013, 09:36 AM
I disagree on many counts with this report especially the notion that children with CMs have peer support issues
The 'school readiness' pops up again but, in my view, many factor have been ignored

What are your views?

Children who spend time in nurseries 'more likely to develop behavioural problems' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10384281/Children-who-spend-time-in-nurseries-more-likely-to-develop-behavioural-problems.html)

rickysmiths
17-10-2013, 10:06 AM
This was posted somewhere else last night with a link to the original research which shows how as usual the press have cherry picked to make it suit their agenda.

Simona
17-10-2013, 12:22 PM
More info here and comments from PLA plus reference to Prof Sylva's (one of the EPPE authors) research

Study claims children in nurseries 'more likely' to be hyperactive (http://www.daynurseries.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1561328/study-claims-children--in-nurseries-hyperactive#.Ul_TL7n2k8s.twitter)

JCrakers
17-10-2013, 12:34 PM
There's nothing like making parents feel good about the choices they've made is there :rolleyes:

Simona
17-10-2013, 09:18 PM
There's nothing like making parents feel good about the choices they've made is there :rolleyes:

Such sweeping statements do not help parent or providers in any shape or form
I would like to know who commissioned the research?
Something tells me the govt will respond by saying children need more structure so lets put them in schools at 2 and 'control' their behaviour by sitting them down for a long time for structured learning?

In 20 years of childcare I have never seen children in CMs' care to have 'peer problems'...a bit more detail on this would have helped or such behavioural problems in those who attend nurseries...as for triggering ADHD...well that's a bit too vague as ADHD, to my knowledge, is triggered by many factors

Ali56
18-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Daybreak picked up on this this morning. The 'child should be at home with their mother' advocate was waffling on about under 3's, completely irrelevant. And the lady from the day nurseries assoc said it's not the case-we all know it isn't. How often do children behave for us but not for thier parents? Many reasond for this, as we all know.
All parents they asked said they loved the child they had-outgoing, great communication skills etc and that nursery was great for them. Of course, no childminder was consulted again... GRRRR

Emra81
18-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Strikes me that nurseries and childminders are taking the 'blame' for this apparent research but is there not an element of parents feeling guilty for being out at work all day and letting little Johnny do as he pleases in an attempt to make up for it?! Hence a lack of clear boundaries from home and behavioural problems stemming from that. Not that I actually think the research is valid but still get frustrated that care providers are targeted again when parents have a large part to play too....

bunyip
18-10-2013, 09:03 AM
I never went to nursery, so what's my excuse? :jump for joy: :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

emma04
18-10-2013, 09:19 AM
ONLY when we start researching parenting strategies and techniques WILL we truly see why children behave the way they do!!!!!!!

Daycare workers
Daycare environment
Childminders
Teachers
Teaching environment

All have been researched and "blamed" for poor behaviour management!

I am a parent of a child who behaves badly at home, but IS a dream at nursery! (there are shed loads of children like this!!!)

My dd2.5 goes to nursery for three 2hr sessions per week, the rest of the time she is with me "her mother" and is often very challenging!

I know why.......because I let her get away with stuff that I shouldn't and her personality is strong, which makes reinforcing my behaviour management techniques VERY difficult!
Luckily, her confidence away from me is reduced and is at a level that ensures that she does as she is told (most of the time!) with others.

Children (not all, I'm sure) with a strong personality and high levels of confidence are often the children that struggle to behave appropriately.

So we need to look closely at the style of parenting and a parents moral development alongside the personalities of their children, to get a clear foundation on which to implement behaviour management strategies.

every child is unique, we should plan for every child, therefore behaviour management needs to reflect this! It should be individual and tailored in order for it to be successful.

How we do this I don't know yet.....but I'm studying it hard and hope to come to my own conclusion at least!! And it will NOT be to BLAME anyone specifically!!

Simona
18-10-2013, 09:41 AM
ONLY when we start researching parenting strategies and techniques WILL we truly see why children behave the way they do!!!!!!!

Daycare workers
Daycare environment
Childminders
Teachers
Teaching environment

All have been researched and "blamed" for poor behaviour management!

I am a parent of a child who behaves badly at home, but IS a dream at nursery! (there are shed loads of children like this!!!)

My dd2.5 goes to nursery for three 2hr sessions per week, the rest of the time she is with me "her mother" and is often very challenging!

I know why.......because I let her get away with stuff that I shouldn't and her personality is strong, which makes reinforcing my behaviour management techniques VERY difficult!
Luckily, her confidence away from me is reduced and is at a level that ensures that she does as she is told (most of the time!) with others.

Children (not all, I'm sure) with a strong personality and high levels of confidence are often the children that struggle to behave appropriately.

So we need to look closely at the style of parenting and a parents moral development alongside the personalities of their children, to get a clear foundation on which to implement behaviour management strategies.

every child is unique, we should plan for every child, therefore behaviour management needs to reflect this! It should be individual and tailored in order for it to be successful.

How we do this I don't know yet.....but I'm studying it hard and hope to come to my own conclusion at least!! And it will NOT be to BLAME anyone specifically!!

I started a thread on 'Parenting styles' in this section and this research came out shortly afterwards...the 2 are linked, very much so
I agree with you that parents' styles do influence children
I wonder what you think of the parenting styles when they differ not only between parents themselves but from the behaviour management used in nurseries, preschools or cms?

emma04
18-10-2013, 12:40 PM
I started a thread on 'Parenting styles' in this section and this research came out shortly afterwards...the 2 are linked, very much so I agree with you that parents' styles do influence children I wonder what you think of the parenting styles when they differ not only between parents themselves but from the behaviour management used in nurseries, preschools or cms?

Key aspects of common and successful parenting strategies need to be examined first and following that, the findings (if manageable) should be interwoven with behaviour management strategies used in settings, to at least maintain some level of consistency. This should be implemented for all children.
Any child that displays challenging behaviour should then have an individual behaviour management plan put in place that will focus on their particular need and their particular issue. This should involve the parents

FloraDora
20-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Do nurseries harm children or not? Either way, it's all the poor's fault | Bridget Christie | Comment is free | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/20/do-nurseries-harm-children-parent)

Light hearted view .....

Simona
20-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Do nurseries harm children or not? Either way, it's all the poor's fault | Bridget Christie | Comment is free | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/20/do-nurseries-harm-children-parent)

Light hearted view .....

A very much needed light hearted view indeed!!...when will they ever stop dishing out research that will confuse parents and providers alike.

Couldn't help getting cross at the 'children who go to nursery are better prepared for school'.....is that all that matters??

smurfette
20-10-2013, 09:54 PM

Light hearted view .....

Very good lol!!