PDA

View Full Version : Refused to sign photo permission form

Rainy
15-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi, I have a slight problem. With all this EYFS stuff coming in September, do you have to have photo's of children doing activities etc.

I have just done my new policies and permission forms and gave them to a mindee's mum to sign but she has refused to sign the photo one. Her husband thought she was being silly but she says she does not want her son on show to strangers. I can totally understand where she is coming from but where do i stand with ofsted and will i be marked down in my inspection because of having no photo's to show. She does know that i have taken a couple of photo's of him when he has been playing with my son but they were just for my personal album.

Anyone else come across this problem.
Thanks

sarah707
15-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I think you maybe need to explain to her and reassure her exactly what you will and will not use the photos for ... and if she does not trust you at this point in the relationship, it's going to be hard working with her.

You need photos for her child's benefit, to put together a book of the things he does when he is with you. You are following good practice guidance from the Govt in taking the photos and it will provide a lovely momento of her son's time with you, which will remain absolutely and totally her property and to which she has unlimited and total access at any convenient time.

You will not display any of her son's photos on the walls or in group albums if this is her wish ... although eyfs does say that children like to see photos of themselves as it gives them a sense of belonging in a setting - but this is not necessary and if she doesn't want it to happen then fine.

Hope this helps :D

miffy
15-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I've only ever had one parent refuse to sign photo permission form.

You shouldn't be marked down by Ofsted - you are following the parents wishes.

You can still take photographs of the child's work and of places you've been to put in his file.

miffy xx

angeldelight
15-07-2008, 09:28 PM
What a shame she feels like that though

I agree with Sarah and Miffy both

Hope she lets you take just a few pics

Angel xx

charleyfarley
15-07-2008, 09:41 PM
That is such a shame as she will miss out on so much while he is with you.

I know my parents love to see the photos I take.

We capture things that are one offs, I've always got my camera close by.

I hope she changes her mind

Carol xx

Pudding Girl
15-07-2008, 09:44 PM
I've only ever had one parent refuse to sign photo permission form.

You shouldn't be marked down by Ofsted - you are following the parents wishes.

You can still take photographs of the child's work and of places you've been to put in his file.

miffy xx

she is within her rights to refuse, and rightly so, and no they shouldn't havea prob with this as it is the parents wish as Miffy says.

Would she compromise to you taking non identifying phots without the childs face in? Amazing what good photos you can take from weird angles!

Heaven Scent
15-07-2008, 09:48 PM
I had a mum refuse to sign for photo permission for my website or promotional material but I can understand it some how as child will be only here 2 days pw after school.

Rainy
15-07-2008, 10:07 PM
i don't think she will change her mind, she can be a bit funny about some things. She doesn't want me to do any of the EYFS stuff and to be honest i totally agree with her, but i said i had to do it.

She said she chose a childminder over a nursery because she wanted him to have the same sort of life at home that he would have with her.

Her son is 2 1/2 and she insists that i use water and cotton wool to change his nappies - not wipes. She was there once when i used a wipe to clean his hands after eating and she said she wanted me to use a wet flannel instead.
She doesn't like it if i meet with other mum's at the park etc as she hasn't met them. She moaned at me once because i used my own sun cream on him and not the one she had left in his bag ( mine was a higher factor). Apparently she knew i had done this because it smelt different.

Sometimes her little rules seem a bit OTT but other times she does things that i can't believe. When she puts him in his car seat he takes his arms out of the harness, when i mentioned it wasn't safe she said it's ok he always does that. She even told me she lets him play on trampoline - unsupervised.

Would you believe she is a teacher.

She is a really nice person and apart from these few little problems everything else is going really well and i have had him for nearly a year now.

I'm not going to challange her decision about the photo's at the end of the day it is her wish, i just hope ofsted see it like that.

Heaven Scent
15-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Sometimes you just have to let some things go just as well we can all come on here and let off steam - we all have to do it now and again and its so nice to know that others have had similar problems - You cannot pick and choose mindees and parents these days too much competition and eonomic climate not good so we have to hold on to what we've got.

Good luck just get her to sign something to say that she won't sign the permission and that she is happy for him not to take part in certain activities as you will have to sometimes take photos of the children working together to show you are fulfilling certain aspects of EYFS.

Just tell her you have to cover your back for Ofsted and its to show that you actually sought her permission and its her choice for her son not to take part.

christine e
16-07-2008, 06:39 AM
I look after two children where the parent has signed the permission slip but explained her concerns to me which I am not going to go into but I fully support her re her concerns about her children photos being on websites/newspapers etc. I do take photos for my records. If I want to use a photo on a website I don't show their faces so I am with George on this one respect parent's wishes (you can exlain this to OFSTED which shows that you are working in partnership with parents) but take a few photos of the other children from the side of from the back of from shoulders down and show to parent and ask if this would be ok for your records only, if she still says NO then so be it. I just want to emphasie that some parents do have very valid reasons for not wanting their child to be photographed as I said I am not prepared to share with you why this is in the case of the children in my care but I promise you I fully support parent in my case.

Cx

Rach30
16-07-2008, 08:22 AM
You could still take photos of the activities just without the kids in it. So a photo taken after a craft activity , with all the stuff strewn about the place and then you could write a little note saying how the kids enjoyed it and what they learnt ect. :)

avril
16-07-2008, 08:32 AM
You could still take photos of the activities just without the kids in it. So a photo taken after a craft activity , with all the stuff strewn about the place and then you could write a little note saying how the kids enjoyed it and what they learnt ect. :)

Or take a photo before they start the craft during the crafts of just what the hands are doing, the mess afterwards and a photo of the finished item.

Noodles
16-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi i was speaking to someone who said that they would not want observations carried out on her child if she was with a childminder as she would place her with a childminder to have the same surroundings as being at home with mum and this is not something she would carry out iyswim

Pudding Girl
16-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Both of my families have said similar, but unf it's regulations that we all have to adhere to, wether we want it or not, or the families want it or not.