PDA

View Full Version : Husband doesn't agree!

son77
15-07-2008, 09:08 PM
My mindee is contracted from 8.15am-5.00pm, but pays my daily rate which is from 8am-5.30pm.

Mindee normallyarrives between 8am-8.15am, dont mind her dropping off early as I said she pays the daily rate anyway, same for the collection, never collects at 5pm, its usually between 5.15-5.30pm.

Had this mindee 8 months now & mum has occasionally been late, always phoned me to let me know, usually just 5-10 mins late, think once was 1/2 hr. I've never charged her late fee's before because its usually happened just before mindee was due to have a day off (at full fee) so I think it balances itself out money wise.

But now its happening a bit more frequently & im wondering if she's taking the p*ss because she knows a day off is coming up so making the most out of me, IYSWIM?

Tonight was a 15 min late collection and also a day last week 15 mins late too, so I was going to bill her (as in my late collection policy) as I think that's fair, but hubby doesnt agree!

What do you think?

angeldelight
15-07-2008, 09:11 PM
I hate things like this myself and understand where you are both coming from to be honest

Why dont you ask her first if she wants to change her contract because you have noticed she is arriving later than usual
You might find that does the trick she will either change her times on her contract or she will stop arriving late

If that does not work at least you have given her a chance to sort it out....... then charge late fees

I guess I am soft but if its only recently that she has been doing this it might be best to be fair with her rather than charge her

Angel xxx

son77
15-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I dont want to change my times because I finish work at 5.30, and dont want to finish any later.

Its only after 5.30pm I would charge for, so just the 15 mins.

Its not my choice to do unpaid overtime!

I was hoping it would just put a stop to it. End of!

angeldelight
15-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Well ask her if her times have changed at work

Tell her you finish at 5.30 and have to rush out - maybe she will then get the message

If you really feel that you have to charge her late fees then go for it - personally though if it were me I would have to ask her first or at least drop a few hints so she got the message haha

Good luck its never easy is it when they take advantage and the longer that she does this and gets away with it the more she will do it

Angel xx

son77
15-07-2008, 09:23 PM
It happens when shes been in a meeting or working out of area so out of her control being late, so then left to dad collecting who comes after he's finished work.

I dont mind her being late, thats just the downside of her job, I just think I should be paid for the overtime!

Or maybe I should charge her my normal hourly rate for any extra time used?

sarah707
15-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I would ask her if she needs to re-negotiate the contract ... is she finishing work later nowadays...?

Are you prepared to work later if that's what she needs? And think how much you might want to charge ...

I'm soft like Angel, I would give her the chance to sort it out with you before charging...

Good luck! :D

angeldelight
15-07-2008, 09:29 PM
If you dont mind her being late then why not just change the contract time so you do then get paid for it ?

Angel xx

sarah707
15-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Oops ... connection playing up... sorry! :D

miffy
15-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I'd talk to her - explain that you really want to finish at 5.30 so if she is working away she needs to get someone (dad?) to pick up. If she can't manage this then tell her you will have to charge the extra.

I'd give her the chance to sort it out first before putting any extra on the bill - for all you know she might be happy to pay the extra and think that it's OK to be late as long as she pays - and that's not what you really want is it?

miffy xx

Rainy
15-07-2008, 09:40 PM
I had this problem before with an old mindee but it was in the morning when she kept turning up early.

She was contacted 9.15 - 4.15 but most days would turn up at 9am.

I would be out on the school run and get back at 9am to find her waiting on my door step. Also she would often ring a couple of minutes before agreed pick up time to say she would be 15 minutes late so often getting 1/2 per day free.

I asked her if she wanted to change contacted hours and start at 9am and finish at 4.30 and she said she would only add on 1/4 at end of day but wouldn't need to change to 9am start. This annoyed me as i knew she would still turn up at 9.

So i started popping in to my mum's each morning on way back from school for a quick coffee so didn't arrive home until 9.12am. She soon got the message. Also one time when she rang and said she was going to be 20 mins late tonight i had aready booked a vet appointment and needed to finish on time that night. She was really funny with me when i said i couldn't do it that night and she said to me "unfortunately i have a job that i can't just walk out of" and i said "unfortunately i have a life outside of my job"

Maybe that sounds a bit harsh but i was totally fed up with having the P*** taking out of me.

foxy lady
16-07-2008, 07:03 AM
one cheeky parent said to me it ok to be a few minutes late as i finish at 6 but i dont have to drive home?
whats that got to do with anything is what i said?
she then said when she has picked her dd up from my house she still has a 10 min drive home at least i have finished
then again i dont earn 60k a year like she does
honestly what a cheek

carolinel
16-07-2008, 07:13 AM
one cheeky parent said to me it ok to be a few minutes late as i finish at 6 but i dont have to drive home?
whats that got to do with anything is what i said?
she then said when she has picked her dd up from my house she still has a 10 min drive home at least i have finished
then again i dont earn 60k a year like she does
honestly what a cheek

that comment would have really peed me off

No, we don't have to drive home,but then she doesn't have to clear up from tea, sweep up all the glitter, write up obs, tidy the toys away, find all the balls under the settee, and the hundred other jobs we have to do once mindee gone home.

grrrr, just coz mindee gone doesn't mean our job is done.

miffy
16-07-2008, 07:15 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth Caroline

Can't believe the cheek of some people!

Miffy xx

Mollymop
16-07-2008, 07:17 AM
I agree with the others, I think you should ask her to change her contracted hours so you get paid for it rather than the late fees.

Good luck x

Pedagog
16-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Tricky one isn't it, especially if you have let her get away with it for so long.