PDA

View Full Version : Food hygiene course - EduCare

sarah707
15-10-2013, 06:54 PM
I don't know if you are aware but Childcare.co.uk gold members have access to some free training.

Anyhow, I've just updated my basic food hygiene training through this offer and I thought I would give some feedback.

The course is with EduCare who are well respected - there are 4 modules. Each module has a test at the end. So you read the module, make notes (if your short term memory is like mine) and then do the test.

I got 83% (one question wrong)... 100%... 100%... 100% - my note taking got better when I recognised the type of things they were going to ask.

There is then a 30 question test at the end... you can go back through the course modules if you are not sure about the answers. I got a couple wrong but mostly because the wording was a little confusing and I am tired (yeah yeah excuses excuses :laughing: )

The things that are covered are good practice. Some aren't necessarily right for childminders eg telling us to inform a supervisor if there is a problem when we are our own supervisors - but mostly the course was spot on and pitched at the right level.

I learned a few things I didn't already know or have maybe forgotten which is good. One that surprised me - when re-heating food Safer Food Better Business for Childminders says to re-heat until food is bubbling / steaming hot - the training module information says to probe to 82C.

There is a certificate at the end which is great for my file and I have written a quick evaluation as well as sharing my thoughts on here.

It says 5 CPD hours gained on my certificate but no expiry date. It does advise coming back to the course materials to read them through every so often and I will put a note in my diary to do that.

I hope you find my feedback useful :D

leeanne910
15-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks :) guess what i am doin tomorrow lol will save me 30 quid doin through my early yrs!

lilac_dragon
15-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks Sarah, for the feedback. I was looking at this earlier today and thinking it sounded a good option. I don't drive and getting to courses is a real nightmare, they're never on a bus route!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will get this sorted at the weekend I think.
Thank you again.

Richard
16-10-2013, 05:44 AM
Thanks Sarah.

For more information on the free courses see Free Online Training for Childcare Providers & Parents - Childcare.co.uk (http://www.childcare.co.uk/training)

k1rstie
16-10-2013, 06:11 AM
Thanks Richard. Come out trumps again.

Thanks for organising.
Kirstie

Bumble Beez
16-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Thanks Sarah. For more information on the free courses see Free Online Training for Childcare Providers & Parents - Childcare.co.uk (http://www.childcare.co.uk/training)

Richard...is there anyway my assistant can access the training available...or would they have to find alternative courses?
Thought I'd check as food hygiene is one she needs x

Sarah x

Richard
16-10-2013, 08:05 AM
We are currently in the process of rolling out the online training to all gold members. Currently it is only available to childminder members but later in the week it should be available to all.

If your assistant were to become a gold member then they too could access the training. They won't need to have a public profile if they don't want one.

We are also adding 2 more free online training courses later in the week which will be Introduction to Equality & Diversity and Personal Safety.

Richard...is there anyway my assistant can access the training available...or would they have to find alternative courses?
Thought I'd check as food hygiene is one she needs x

Sarah x

Bumble Beez
16-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks Richard...
Will keep an eye out for the new training and talk to my assistant about becoming a gold member later :thumbsup:

Sarah x