PDA

View Full Version : House of Lords opposing childminder agency plans as they stand currently

AgentTink
08-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Here is the article

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/sectornews/78/childminder-agency-plans-to-be-opposed-in-the-house-of-lords#!

loocyloo
08-10-2013, 11:45 AM
:D lets hope someone listens to them :D

Stapleton83
08-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Good news let us hope that there are others who support and listen to them.

Sam x

Simona
08-10-2013, 01:25 PM
The debate should be next Wednesday..will post date when I get it or anyone else can share

I also sent an additional email to Baroness Hughes this morning updating her on the most recent event in the agency saga since the names were released.

CH1957
08-10-2013, 01:30 PM
I am presuming agencies is now a done deal! Even our DO said 'when agencies come in next September'!! I am still hoping they don't of course and will keep petitioning etc.

jackie 7
08-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Just read a big on twitter that has added to the bill that all childminders in of out of agencies should be inspected as now.

caz3007
08-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Just read a big on twitter that has added to the bill that all childminders in of out of agencies should be inspected as now.

But wasn't the reason for the agencies to save the government money so if Ofsted will still inspect everyone where is the saving, fingers crossed it will cause them to backtrack then

Simona
08-10-2013, 04:46 PM
The Bill is having 'amendements' made to various clauses by the 4 Baronesses which is very normal before the debate resumes...one of them is that ALL cms should be inspected

Another one is to do with a consultation period of 3 months
There is also one regarding statutory ratios...it is all in the PLA press release

Many other amendements have been announced today to other various parts...the Bill is a huge piece of legislation.

Agencies are also not a 'done deal' because the Bill has to be passed as law ...only then can the govt work out a framework for inspection for them...that is how I understand it ...someone please correct that if wrong.
In the meantime we hope cms are staying out of joining and 'wary' of them as advised by the expert who wrote the article in CYPNow

The reason for agencies was to reduce the cost of childcare and raise quality which seems to be a mirage, of course, it will save Ofsted money and cms have proved to be closing the gap in inspections judging by the last Ofsted statistics!!!

The new inspection framework from Nov 2013 includes cms too, which we were told by Ofsted on numerous occasions, would not include us until the agencies got sorted ....although no one has come out and explained why the change of direction I 'personally' take that as a positive step that we do not have to trail behind something that is not even lawful yet!

Emra81
08-10-2013, 10:22 PM
I've always had a bit of an issue with the House of Lords having so much power when they're so unrepresentative (is that even a word?!) of our society BUT having read that article I am actually quite pleased to see that some of them actually have a few brain cells to rub together and can see the huge gaping holes in the governments plans. Fingers crossed they can make a difference...

jadavi
09-10-2013, 02:49 AM
Thanks for this update. It's like with ratios - no one has specified where the savings will come.
I'm assuming the agencies will set a price and drive down the going rate of the area... What do you think?

Simona
09-10-2013, 07:06 AM
I feel there is a difference between an hereditary peer and a working peer...the former possibly defends its rights to its lineage and to be in the House ....the latter driving party policies home and making changes

We should really be discussing the meaning of the amendements...I will post them in the Agencies thread so many cms pick it up
We need to revive the discussion in this forum especially now that agencies are being trialled under our very noses

jadavi
09-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks yes please

Simona
21-10-2013, 07:52 AM
I am not sure what happened last week as the Lords had a great debate but no amendements were put in place

Has anyone heard anything?
I heard a whisper today something could happen...keep your ears open please

bunyip
21-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Yes, well I wouldn't hang my hopes on the House of Lords.

They can't see why children should not be covered by any of the usual methods:-

at home with mother (a "woman's place....." and all that.)
in the nursery with Nanny.
sent away to boarding school.
working in the cotton mill.
in the care of the workhouse.
etc. ........etc. .......... etc. ..........

:(

Simona
21-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Yes, well I wouldn't hang my hopes on the House of Lords.

They can't see why children should not be covered by any of the usual methods:-

at home with mother (a "woman's place....." and all that.)
in the nursery with Nanny.
sent away to boarding school.
working in the cotton mill.
in the care of the workhouse.
etc. ........etc. .......... etc. ..........

:(

I feel personally the amendements are very good...2 of them in particular.... and if added should allow for more discussion and maybe delay the bill a bit...we are to be consulted and the Bill has to be in place

The House of Commons and House of Lords is where legislation is made according to the rule of the country so we need to give the Lords a chance, what they are proposing is due to them listening to our concerns
I would like to give them that chance

FloraDora
21-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Children and Families Bill 2012-13 to 2013-14 — UK Parliament (http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2012-13/childrenandfamilies.html)

You can keep up to date with the children and families bill at this site - it does say the committee are meeting today.

Cross fingers that it is made up of sensible people.

Simona
21-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Children and Families Bill 2012-13 to 2013-14 — UK Parliament (http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2012-13/childrenandfamilies.html)

You can keep up to date with the children and families bill at this site - it does say the committee are meeting today.

Cross fingers that it is made up of sensible people.

Thank you FloraDora