PDA

View Full Version : How much was your wedding dress?

kimnolan87
06-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Hi,

I have been looking at wedding dresses the last two weekends and I have found my perfect dress.....the only thing that worries me, is the price!

It is almost £1800!!!!! I did find one last week that was almost £1100 but THE one is the dress I saw yesterday!!!!

Just wondering how much other people have paid for their dresses???

Xxx

Mouse
06-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Mine cost £200...but that was a very long time ago!

amanda1309
06-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Mine was £750 almost 13 years ago.

WibbleWobble
06-10-2013, 10:10 AM
Over £1000 five years ago.

My parents paid for it!

Wibble the thankful x

bunyip
06-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi,

I have been looking at wedding dresses the last two weekends and I have found my perfect dress.....the only thing that worries me, is the price!

It is almost £1800!!!!! I did find one last week that was almost £1100 but THE one is the dress I saw yesterday!!!!

Just wondering how much other people have paid for their dresses???

Xxx

I just bought a new tie. :D

On the morning of 'the big day' I realised I owned no shoes of my own that would go with the suit, so I wore my work shoes with the company logo still on the attached tags. :rolleyes:

Rachel6
06-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Mine was £375 23yrs ago. We met in the January,got pregnant in the April(woops) got married in the July, bought a house in the November & had baby in the December we are still together had lots of ups & few downs x

FussyElmo
06-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Im almost embarrassed to say under £20 from ebay 6 and 1/2 years ago.

beachgirl29
06-10-2013, 11:20 AM
£500 5 years ago. I paid for it myself and alterations was about £80.

vickylou
06-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Mine was £450, 20 years ago this week!!!! Lol it should of been more but was reduced as it was the display dress and had dirty marks on the underneath of the dress and the train!!! Bargain as it was filthy just within walking from the house to the car!!!

loocyloo
06-10-2013, 11:47 AM
not sure of the conversion rate but about $800 Australian dollars! I bought it whilst living in Sydney, and it was made for me, and then sent to UK by airmail! dress maker friend then did the final fit for me.

I had a budget of around £500 as my paternal grandfather had died about 10 years beforehand, and left me £500. I said there and then, that I would save it and use it buy my wedding dress ( he was very special to me, as my father had died before I was born ) I remember that it came in around my budget!

that was 15 years ago.

FloraDora
06-10-2013, 11:49 AM
£23 - 34 years ago this month.

I couldn't run to £12 extra for a veil so I bought a piece of net material for £2 ( designed to be net curtains!) and embroidered the edge to match my dress - looked great.

To be fair it was a week's salary so pro rata to todays salary is a lot more!

I think that, as long as you can afford it without going into debt, you can pay what you like for your dress everyone has their own priorities on the day; I didn't have an expensive dress but I paid a lot of money for an old fashioned car to take me to church!!!

( On reflection I do question this now!)

adedwards68
06-10-2013, 11:55 AM
A friend of mine who married a year ago found her perfect dress with a price tag of £5000. She found it on the internet for a fifth of the price, came from China or somewhere that way. She then just paid someone to do the alterations

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

maisiemog
06-10-2013, 12:49 PM
£64 in the monsoon sale 8 years ago.

It wasn't the dress of my dreams but I was 19, had a 4 month engagement and a very limited budget. The dress of my dreams would cost £2000ish now!

AgentTink
06-10-2013, 01:01 PM
My sister got married 5 weeks ago. At the beginning of the year she had seen her perfect dress for £1500 pounds, plus £250 for alterations due to her height, but it was more than her budget. So she search for weeks on line and eventually found someone selling theirs for £450, and they were only slightly bigger than my sister, so hardly any alterations were needed. She did have to drive for 8 hours to get it, but so worth the money she saved. She was close to getting one made from China which was very similar, and reasonable, as her friend had got hers this way and it was beautiful

lozzy23
06-10-2013, 01:06 PM
£500 - 23 years ago. My mum paid for it, I walked out of the changing room and she gasped and cried, it had to be that dress.:thumbsup:

blue bear
06-10-2013, 01:55 PM
£90 24 years ago, I got married on a beach so it was shorter and not like all the other dresses in the shop, the lady lady said no one wanted a dress like that, I loved it :)

The Juggler
06-10-2013, 02:04 PM
i paid £120 for a very simple dress as flew abroad and it was only us two. I loved it though and it was very me - price included alterations but that was 13 years ago. If I had actually tried on all the fancy ones I'm guessing I would have probably liked the one that cost about 4 grand :laughing::laughing::laughing: but I was aiming for simple.

tulip0803
06-10-2013, 03:14 PM
First wedding £45 in Principles sale(20 years ago).

Second wedding £90 (9 years ago).

scottishlass
06-10-2013, 03:40 PM
I won mine in a competition by the local paper! Wasn't an expensive dress - got to pick one from debenhams selection would have been about £250 - was 10 years ago now x

Bumble Beez
06-10-2013, 03:44 PM
I paid £195 for my dress...very simple and elegant...9 years ago now...

Our whole wedding including hotel, room hire, flowers, dresses, suits, meal, DJ and Buffett came to less than 2.5k...looking back I'm not sure how that happened!!

DH has a mate who is currently planning his wedding...they have spent 14.5k so far...SO FAR!!! I was shocked :laughing:

Sarah x

Rubybubbles
06-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I hired my wedding dress for £200 with alterations. 13 years ago

I couldn't see the point of spending full price (over £1000) for something I would never wear again

Does that make me a grump haha

Bumble Beez
06-10-2013, 03:54 PM
I hired my wedding dress for £200 with alterations. 13 years ago I couldn't see the point of spending full price (over £1000) for something I would never wear again Does that make me a grump haha

No lol...I had mine cleaned and boxed up after the wedding, put it in the loft just to find a few years later that it had been eaten by mice...uurrrggggghhhhhhh...

Makes me thankful I didn't pay more!!

Sarah x

funemnx
06-10-2013, 03:58 PM
1st marriage - £80 in 1980 and then 2nd - £50 in 2001 from Next (not a wedding dress but a pale pink full length shift dress)

jfradgley1
06-10-2013, 06:05 PM
I have just put a £700 deposit down for mine and it's £1390 in total. Way over my budget but it was THE dress, I had to have it!! I think if you can afford it, then go for it!! :) xx

Maza
06-10-2013, 06:19 PM
i paid £120 for a very simple dress as flew abroad and it was only us two. I loved it though and it was very me - price included alterations but that was 13 years ago. If I had actually tried on all the fancy ones I'm guessing I would have probably liked the one that cost about 4 grand :laughing::laughing::laughing: but I was aiming for simple.

Mine was also about the same price and it was also thirteen years ago. We also flew abroad. I also went for very simple and it was also very me (very simple!) The price also included alterations!

mpullen17387
06-10-2013, 06:23 PM
£150 from local newspaper.. She never got to wear it :-( xxx

*daisychain*
06-10-2013, 06:26 PM
£85 5 years ago from tkmaxx , should have been £600 . Was my perfect dress . Still love it :)

Samijanec
06-10-2013, 06:26 PM
£64 in the monsoon sale 8 years ago. It wasn't the dress of my dreams but I was 19, had a 4 month engagement and a very limited budget. The dress of my dreams would cost £2000ish now!

That's where I got mine from, £80 in the sale though! Stunning greecion style dress..

Glitter
06-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Mine was £120, 10 years ago. It was a bridesmaid dress as I refused to wear white.

My mother paid for it as I wanted to get married in my jeans and t-shirt, but she would not let me.
The dress did look lovely, but I wish I had put my foot down and got married my way and not the way my mother wanted.

I got my revenge though. My 18 month old daughter got chocolate sauce all over the frount of the dress during the reception and the stains would wash out.
Well done daughter.:clapping:

cathtee
06-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Mine was less than £100 31 years ago, my dd got married in July this year and paid £1750, but it was absolutely gorgeous and her nan
and grandad paid for it.

Stapleton83
06-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Mine was £1200 but was dark red silk and made for me and that was 10 years ago next April. Would agree with the others, have a really good trawl on the web and see if you can find someone selling one.

Sam x

Allie
06-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Mine was £32 from C&A 36 years ago and was the only dress I tried on! It was in the sale and matched my dream dress idea exactly, didn't even need to be altered

rickysmiths
06-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Mine cost me nothing. It was a Pronuputa dress but I didn't like the bodice so my mum and I mad a new one and made a new lining and that cost £17. My headdress cost £30 from John Lewis and my Veil was free, it was bought for my Grandmother in 1925 and had been worn by 7 family and friends who were at my wedding, including my mum and sister. It is fine net edged in Brussels Lace and is floor length, it was valued in 1969 for £300 so I hate to think what it is worth now. I still have all three and I still wear my wedding shoes which are silver kid leather court shoes.

I will have been Married 25 years next April.

babs
06-10-2013, 08:49 PM
rented mine £50, my shoes cost £55.. still together 27yrs later

The Juggler
06-10-2013, 09:59 PM
£150 from local newspaper.. She never got to wear it :-( xxx

that's sad :( or maybe a lucky escape??

The Juggler
06-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Mine cost me nothing. It was a Pronuputa dress but I didn't like the bodice so my mum and I mad a new one and made a new lining and that cost £17. My headdress cost £30 from John Lewis and my Veil was free, it was bought for my Grandmother in 1925 and had been worn by 7 family and friends who were at my wedding, including my mum and sister. It is fine net edged in Brussels Lace and is floor length, it was valued in 1969 for £300 so I hate to think what it is worth now. I still have all three and I still wear my wedding shoes which are silver kid leather court shoes.

I will have been Married 25 years next April.

how was the dress free??

shortstuff
06-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Mine was £1000 in 2001. That was tge bill for the whole day too lol x

SammySplodger
06-10-2013, 10:48 PM
£450 13 years ago, it was an evening dress, not a proper wedding dress, cos I didn't do the 'white' thing. Lovely blue/purple chiffon over satin but very simple. I still have it but it no longer fits, my daughter has her eye on it...

It's a small world
07-10-2013, 05:47 AM
Mine was £1800 but was designed by me - saw several dresses i liked all on different colors - white red blue black in the shop and couldn't decide which one as all beautiful and asked if i could have one made with all the pieces i liked in the colours i wanted and they did. It was pale gold and burgundy. I thought it was a lot and so wanted to have more use out if it so The top could be detached and used as a bodice for xmas or a party and the bottom was going to be made into christening dresses but we had boys and didnt want them in dresses. It has been vacuum packed and if my children have girls we will have it made into dresses .
It was expensive and may not pay this price today ( this was 13years ago) but I wanted the day to be special for different reasons. I'm sure if you search around you will be able to find one the same or close too on the internet. Good luck.

Kiddleywinks
07-10-2013, 06:16 AM
I couldn't find what I wanted, in the material I wanted, so bought all the material from a fabric warehouse in London, found a dressmaker and she made: My wedding dress, 2 little girl bridesmaid dresses, and my maid of honour's dress for the total price of £450 :thumbsup: and that was 13 years ago

rickysmiths
07-10-2013, 07:41 AM
how was the dress free??

My oldest friend had a friend who was a dress maker. She had a friend who worked for pronuptia. When the sales finished she used to be given any end of season dresses for the lace. When and I rang my friend to say I was getting married this friend had been just given 8 dresses, my friend rang her and said 'don't cut them up' let my friend have a look first!! So she did and I got a free wedding dress. I loved the lace but not the very fussy bodice so my mum and I made a new bodice.

I also made my Going Away Dress, anyone else have one of those? We used to leave at the end of the Reception, no long into the night dos in my day! We were on a plane to Crete by 11.30pm on the evening of our Wedding Day. I found the day tiring enough, I would have never survived a do into the early hours as well! My dress cost £30 and I had red shoes, red handbag and a cream hat and a black jacket to go with it. The hat is in my cm dressing up box now!

I still have the dress and jacket and am planning to wear it for my 25th party next year. I just need to loose 4 stone first!

mpullen17387
07-10-2013, 08:12 PM
that's sad :( or maybe a lucky escape??

Was certainly lucky for me :-) but didn't ask her lol xxx

LauraS
07-10-2013, 08:29 PM
My dream dress was £3200, which was beyond my budget. I managed to buy a shop sample for £230, then bought shoes for £60 and veil for £110. My chief bridesmaids dress cost more than mine!

Mrs Scrubbit
07-10-2013, 08:34 PM
£200 just over 34yrs ago, still have it and still love it( dare not try it on for size now!:panic:) xx

FloraDora
07-10-2013, 08:49 PM
My oldest friend had a friend who was a dress maker. She had a friend who worked for pronuptia. When the sales finished she used to be given any end of season dresses for the lace. When and I rang my friend to say I was getting married this friend had been just given 8 dresses, my friend rang her and said 'don't cut them up' let my friend have a look first!! So she did and I got a free wedding dress. I loved the lace but not the very fussy bodice so my mum and I made a new bodice.

I also made my Going Away Dress, anyone else have one of those? We used to leave at the end of the Reception, no long into the night dos in my day! We were on a plane to Crete by 11.30pm on the evening of our Wedding Day. I found the day tiring enough, I would have never survived a do into the early hours as well! My dress cost £30 and I had red shoes, red handbag and a cream hat and a black jacket to go with it. The hat is in my cm dressing up box now!

I still have the dress and jacket and am planning to wear it for my 25th party next year. I just need to loose 4 stone first!

My 'Going away outfit 'cost more than my wedding dress!! Happy to splash out on that as I knew I would wear it lots ....

Suede patchwork midi skirt with matching suede/ knitted waistcoat and blouse with loopy ears collar... We were at our honeymoon destination -Grosvenor Hotel( nylon sheets!) Stratford upon Avon by 7.30 - everyone said the evening do at our wedding was the best family celebration.... Shame we had to miss it ... That was the expected thing to do then!!

The waistcoat has been used in loads of school plays .. So worth the expense!

MrsP2C
07-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Mine cost £4k over 12 years ago!!! I could almost weep at the extravagance of it now as we lead such a different (poorer) life. That said, my parents paid for everything & always made it clear we could have the wedding of our dreams but there was no 'cash equivalent' if we didn't get married/paid for it ourselves/eloped etc.