PDA

View Full Version : Bad back

WibbleWobble
05-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Have a bad back.... It is a throw back from years of nursing.

My lower (lumbar region) is where it goes. The muscles each side of my spine just "rip" usually as I am grappling a toddler into a buggy.

It went a week ago... And I have just pulled it again tonight making the bed up.

So...I am thinking about a back brace as a temp option just until it gets better.

Any one used one? If so which one?

I had spinal surgery before ( C5 and C6 - neck vertebrae fusion) so I know disc pain- this is not disc. This is deffo muscle

Yours in anticipation

Wibble the wobbly x

The Juggler
05-10-2013, 09:42 PM
i recommend regular preventative massage honey. or see a physio who can give you some strengthening exercises to do to prevent. no experience of a back brace. do you take anti-inflammatories. DH did his back in 2 weeks ago - in sooo much pain, even the prescription anti-inflamatories didn't work - I got him some paracetamol/codeine mix (soluable) and that was on thing that hit it! mind you don't think you could work on those - he was off his face :laughing::laughing:

hope you feel better soon. xx

hectors house
05-10-2013, 09:48 PM
I have a back support that I bought in Argos for when my back is feeling very weak - I find it helps - hope your back gets better soon, try to keep moving, maybe go for a gentle walk or swim, take anti inflammatory tablets, ice packs, deep heat, hot water bottles etc (whatever works for you) - try not to do too much lifting - you could try the soluable co-codamel that juggler suggested, the ones from the pharmacy aren't very strong though, I get 30mg ones from doctor - I take 2 and they don't knock me out.

The Juggler
05-10-2013, 09:57 PM
I have a back support that I bought in Argos for when my back is feeling very weak - I find it helps - hope your back gets better soon, try to keep moving, maybe go for a gentle walk or swim, take anti inflammatory tablets, ice packs, deep heat, hot water bottles etc (whatever works for you) - try not to do too much lifting - you could try the soluable co-codamel that juggler suggested, the ones from the pharmacy aren't very strong though, I get 30mg ones from doctor - I take 2 and they don't knock me out.

hector, i just bought the over the counter for dh and they were the ONLY thing that took edge off the pain and he was like he'd had a bottle of wine - bless him. before that he was practically crying when he walked and took half hour to get to the bathroom. god knows what he'd have been like on your 30 mg ones :eek: :laughing:

WibbleWobble
05-10-2013, 10:10 PM
I am used to taking heavy duty painkillers! I have been taking voltarol and co codamol. I have done the heat/ cold thing. I just need something to protect it now it is healing... I think I will pop into boots tomorrow and get a back support. It wil only be for a short time.

Wibble the ouchy c

The Juggler
05-10-2013, 10:16 PM
I am used to taking heavy duty painkillers! I have been taking voltarol and co codamol. I have done the heat/ cold thing. I just need something to protect it now it is healing... I think I will pop into boots tomorrow and get a back support. It wil only be for a short time.

Wibble the ouchy c

if you do all that honey then def. some physio advice on strengthening exercises. Wait til you are better then book yourself in for a session. As well as stretching, strengthen those tummy muscles to support your back xx

hectors house
06-10-2013, 04:00 PM
if you do all that honey then def. some physio advice on strengthening exercises. Wait til you are better then book yourself in for a session. As well as stretching, strengthen those tummy muscles to support your back xx

I have a pilates "fit" ball - I don't use it as often as I should to strengthen my core but I do sit on it sometimes in the evening to watch tv when my back is aching - you have to sit properly on it (rather than slouching on sofa) or else you fall off! Wibble, wobble - splat! :laughing:

Stapleton83
06-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Having also had problems with my back a number of years ago I can wholeheartedly empathise with you. No experience of a back brace though. I do find that reflexology works unbelievably well for me but I did get told to improve my core by doing some pilates!

Good luck hope you are feeling better.

Sam x