PDA

View Full Version : Husband to possibly register as childminder or assistant??

NinaBowen
05-10-2013, 06:46 PM
My husband is possibly going to get made redundant and if this happens, we have decided that he will join with me childminding. I am unsure though whether you register him as an assistant or whether he should apply to become a full childminder. I have read that just because you have an assistant doesn't necessarily mean that you get to increase your numbers?? I am also confused, if he is only an assistant, can he be left alone with the children at all? Also what about children's sleeping arrangements. If they all need a nap in the afternoon say and there are 6 children can some of them sleep in the same room but obviously as long as they have their own travel cot? Or does each child need their own room?

Any advice gratefully received.

Nina

Rick
05-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Does this thread help

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/registered-assistants-co-minders/117086-registering-assistant-advice.html

Or this one?

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/registered-assistants-co-minders/123401-my-journey-get-assistant.html

Bluebell
28-10-2013, 08:37 PM
registering him as your assistant will be quicker because he is already DBS checked to live in your house so he could start work straight away. You can then get him registered as a childminder in his own right while he is working with you already if that is the route you decide to take.

You can increase your numbers regardless of whether your helper is an assistant or childminder HOWEVER the criteria that may effect this is to do with space and possible planning permission and other reasons that may affect he number of children you can accommodate.

Assistants shouldn't be left alone with the children as you are still ultimately responsible for them. There are certain criteria / circumstances when you can - parental permission, 2 hours maximum, first aid trained etc etc

Worth looking into all of the pros and cons and all the rules though but initially I would say get him registered as your assistant and go from there!

clairer
28-10-2013, 09:12 PM
It does seem incredibly confusing this getting an assistant business.

Bluebell
29-10-2013, 03:20 PM
I agree!! I'm a fairly intelligent person, have done administration / accounts jobs and hence had to work with quite a lot of online systems including HMRC and this assistant thing has literally done my head in - I've had enough and wish I'd never started but I'm now in a position where I have new children starting on the basis of having an assistant and a very lovely assistant who is very excited at coming to work here so can't let her down either!! Ask me again in a few weeks though when its all sorted though and I'm sure I'll say its no problem at all! ;-)