PDA

View Full Version : Wine racks

WendyLudlam
02-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Hi everyone! I am currently doing my pre-reg course have done a risk assessment in my kitchen, now on one wall we have a floor to ceiling length wine rack, a metal one where the bottles are not concealed in any way, would I need to have these removed?

Thanks
Wendy :)

lilac_dragon
03-10-2013, 09:02 AM
I have a wine rack on top of a ceiling height kitchen cupboard, small, only holds 6 bottles.
Inspector said I had to remove it as it was a temptation to the older High school children, who may climb up there to take them! I said that was highly unlikely and she said - What's to stop them from doing that?
I said ME! She didn't accept that was good enough and actioned it in my report, with the note that apart from drinking it they may be cut by broken glass if they tried to get the bottles and they fell.!!

WendyLudlam
03-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks lilac dragon, I can't believe the inspector said that!
Looks like it's coming down!

Wendy x

cathtee
03-10-2013, 12:53 PM
I think you probable would. Wine doesn't last that long in my house so don't need a wine rack :blush:

sing-low
03-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Remove wine bottles, replace with discovery bottles:
http://theimaginationtree.com/2012/10/baby-sensory-play-discovery-bottles.html

WendyLudlam
03-10-2013, 05:04 PM
That's a brilliant idea sing-low! Thank you very much! :)

SammySplodger
03-10-2013, 05:27 PM
We have a built in wooden rack at bottom kitchen unit height. I took all bottles out and now keep other stuff in there: kitchen roll, box of disposable gloves, cloths, bibs, baby wipes etc.

The wine is now hidden in a high cupboard in the downstairs loo. I have made a 'modesty sleeve' out of gaffa tape for any chilling in the fridge.

Personally think it's all bonkers...

emma04
03-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Bonkers! It's my house, my home and not a flipping institution!!!

Parents choose a home based environment not somewhere where every potential danger imaginable, is hidden, locked away, dismantled, binned or placed in the attic!!!

How on earth are children going to learn how to take and manage risks if they are no longer exposed to any!!

How many cases involving minded children have there been, that relate to binge drinking on their childminders wine, or walloping down copious amounts of bleach or drain cleaner!!
I would like to think that minded children are supervised in a manner that would render these issues highly unlikely or impossible!!

Slides and trampolines cause more problems! Along with matchbox vehicles on wooden floors!!! Tread on one of them and it's like an episode of strictly!!!

emma04
03-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Ps.
My wine is out of reach
My bleach is out if sight
I don't have any drain cleaner
BUT.......
I produced a fab audition for strictly this afternoon after stepping on a stickle brick in bare feet!!!!! (Proves that Stickle bricks are lethal too!)

Nicola Carlyle
03-10-2013, 06:08 PM
I have a wine fridge that holds 7 bottles. At my pre reg I mentioned it to my inspector and she said its like everything else, i had risk assessed which she was happy with and said as long as i kept risk assessing it was fine. I havnt had any children even interested in it.

Daisy1956
03-10-2013, 07:39 PM
I stood on a piece of lego, damaged my heel and ended up on anti-inflammatory for almost twelve months. Wine rack is much safer.

WendyLudlam
03-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Yep I think Lego and small toys create more of a hazard than wine lol :)

littlemiss60561
03-10-2013, 10:18 PM
I think wine racks ( filled) should be ofsted law! In fact I think it should be part of a bonus package from the government!
As to safety. They may comment, but the next one am not. Whatever you do will be right for one but not another. So long as it's risk assessed ( say you've done a poll !) next they will say we can't keep jam jars in our fridge incase they open the door and it falls out...
Or.. Tell mr or mrs O that they are In fact sensory ( loss) bottles and cover The 7 areas nicely! Pd able to move at various speeds whilst avoid obstacles , c&l stringing 2 words Together and psed managing feelings by hugging and loving everyone ( and thing) ....