PDA

View Full Version : Would I need to put a fence up

Kidston
02-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Sorry its a dark photo. Would ofsted need me to put a fence up along this wall and steps or would I just need to do a risk assessment on it?

Chatterbox Childcare
02-10-2013, 06:52 PM
If you ra what does it tell you - are they safeguarded?

moggy
02-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Your RA should answer that for you- are you happy with little ones being out there? If you are closely supervising? It is fine to say you will be supervising and will teach children to either not go up/down steps or go up/down the safely (little ones crawling backwards on hands and knees etc). Think about the ages you will care for, think about how you will use the space, think about what if you turn your back for a moment- is a child likely to be hurt? If a fence makes you feel more comfortable then do it. If you really do not want a fence then think about all the above and put in place precautions to reduce risks.

Ofsted are happy for you to send them photos and ask for advise- I did that for a pond in advance of my pre-reg visit. But they will probably want to know how you have thought about all the above.

Kidston
02-10-2013, 07:31 PM
If you ra what does it tell you - are they safeguarded?

Its been a good few years since ive done a risk assessment. I would say there is a risk of falling and injuring themselves but to overcome this risk there must be adult supervision abd toys abd equipment to be kept well away. Is that right I have no idea!

moggy
02-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Its been a good few years since ive done a risk assessment. I would say there is a risk of falling and injuring themselves but to overcome this risk there must be adult supervision abd toys abd equipment to be kept well away. Is that right I have no idea!

There, you have said it yourself- adult supervision. So you just need to check you can work with that- will you be able to be out there with the children all the time they are out?, what if you need to pop in (baby wakes from nap indoors, for example?-maybe you take all the children back indoors. Phone rings or you need to make emergency call?- maybe take phone outdoors with you. Need first aid?- maybe take or keep a first aid kit in garden too... etc etc.), how many little ones will you feel safe with out there? What about older after schoolers? These are things you need to answer for yourself and follow through with when you are working.

Kidston
02-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Fab thank you.
Its going to take a while to get used to risk assessment and things. Would you list the different sinarios you have used in the risk assessment? X

moggy
02-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Fab thank you.
Its going to take a while to get used to risk assessment and things. Would you list the different sinarios you have used in the risk assessment? X

You are not required to have written risk assessments so how you do it (written or in your head) is up to you.

Do bear in mind though, that if at your pre-reg visit you get an inspector who just does not like the look of it despite your RA, they may put it as a 'recommendation' to put up a fence or whatever. If they do, you probably will still be registered, but they'll expect you to make the changes and they might check at first graded inspection. So you don't have much to lose as long as you are 100% confident in your own mind and can explain it to an inspector. If in any doubt just give Ofsted a call and talk it through with them.