PDA

View Full Version : Expenses

Kirsty90
02-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Does having your own child affect any of the allowable expenses such as gas & electric percentage or is it still based on the hours you work regardless of if your own child is with you whilst you are working?

Thanks

Kirsty x

Chatterbox Childcare
02-10-2013, 06:56 PM
If you are claiming "actual use" then you cannot claim whilst your own child is there but if it is under the percentages agreed between Pacey and HMRC then yes you claim regardless of who is there - pro rata to childminded children of course

Kirsty90
02-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Sorry what do you mean by 'actual use'?

Thanks!

Kirsty x

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Times when you use each room in your home when it is only childminded children present.

I work out how much each room is used for childminding - a percentage for each room, add them together and this percentage is allocated to my household costs, cleaning, mortgage interest, gas, elec etc...

Tealady
05-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Good grief!

When I did my tax course, I was on the understanding that the hours worked = percentage claimed as advised by HMRC was just that simple; regardless as to wether your own child was there.

It would be a nightmare to work out otherwise. Children come and go through the day and you would have one hell of a calculation to do as your own childs percentage would fluctuate. Also it would mean if your hubby or partner was home for some of the time you would have to take out a portion for them too as you are heating the house for them too and they may use water etc. Surely that can't be right.

k-tots
05-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Just use the calculations from hmrc and pacey .......much easier x

chriss
05-10-2013, 09:26 PM
whats the actual use ? Never heard of that one

hectors house
05-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Times when you use each room in your home when it is only childminded children present.

I work out how much each room is used for childminding - a percentage for each room, add them together and this percentage is allocated to my household costs, cleaning, mortgage interest, gas, elec etc...

Someone else mentioned mortgage interest recently - I didn't know you could claim a percentage for this - can you direct me to where I can find out more about this please?

Many thanks

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Someone else mentioned mortgage interest recently - I didn't know you could claim a percentage for this - can you direct me to where I can find out more about this please?

Many thanks

an accountant!

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Good grief!

When I did my tax course, I was on the understanding that the hours worked = percentage claimed as advised by HMRC was just that simple; regardless as to wether your own child was there.

It would be a nightmare to work out otherwise. Children come and go through the day and you would have one hell of a calculation to do as your own childs percentage would fluctuate. Also it would mean if your hubby or partner was home for some of the time you would have to take out a portion for them too as you are heating the house for them too and they may use water etc. Surely that can't be right.

You can still do it as per HMRC and Pacey agreement and that is percentages but if you don't have your own children at home during working hours then you can claim alot more, depending on your income

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2013, 11:03 PM
whats the actual use ? Never heard of that one

see reply above