PDA

View Full Version : HELP! New 2 year old starter

Ella123
01-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Hi folks

I hope someone can answer my question. I am a new childminder and I have just taken on a 2 year old little girl (only doing one day a week).

My question is, do I have to do the 2 year progress check with her? she has never been in childcare before but I haven't got a chance to know her yet and haven't done a 2 year progress check before either.

I just wanted to double check what paperwork I need to do. i am going to do a Learning Journal for her and just take pictures and link activities up to the EYFS etc..

Any answers would be greatly appreciated :-)

hectors house
02-10-2013, 06:48 AM
You need to ask the parents if the child has had her 2 year development check with the Health Visitor - if she is only just 2, then she probably hasn't had it yet. If she hasn't had one, I would ring your local health visitors office and ask at what age they carry out their checks - as it has to be done somewhere between 2 and 3 years, in my area they do them at 2 1/2 years so I am now doing one for a lo who was 2 in April.

If you read the guidance in the Early Years foundation stage website it says that if a child has only just started with you, you shouldn't rush to do the check as you won't know enough about the child (especially if she is only coming one day a week).

You should just use your observations to note her starting points - use the Development Matters as pointers to set up activities you could do with her.

So talk to parents, phone health visitors and start noting her starting points.:)

sarah707
02-10-2013, 06:37 PM
You do need to do a check at some point between the age of 2 and 3 but as Hector's House advises you should get to know her first :D