PDA

View Full Version : 7 areas of learning help please

Joannep26
27-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Hi all, I am pre reg and hoping to hear from ofsted any day now. I have been told that the inspector will ask me to give examples of activities for each of the 7 areas for a 1 year old and a 4 year old. So I thought I'd write some things down and make some example plans to show the inspector, but I have no idea where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated

shortstuff
27-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Hi

Do a google search for development matters and download and read the book. It will tell you what you need to inside and out going forward with the children. This will form the basis of your observations etc.

dilew
30-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi Joanne
i have just had my pre reg visit. i had wrote down an activity plan for each area for each child. (she didn't want to see that) she just asked with the resource i have, how would they support the 7 areas. so i just gave a little example of each area. e.g psed they are learning all the time. cll through sharing book and acting them out, using puppets to extend their learning ect
if you need any more help with the other areas let me know and i will try remember what she asked me
:)

Joannep26
02-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks Dilew, thats really helpful. I think I'm over thinking things and starting to stress a little

dilew
02-10-2013, 09:17 PM
She asked me how my home would provide continuous development with regards to the 7 areas
i said Psed happens all the , time . cll will be the stories and books which they will have access to mark will always be available . psed i have a little shop with wooden fruit that connect together and shape sorters talk jigsaws ect , understanding the world i said celebrate different cultures talk about family's and role play , being people from different roles in life e.g. a fireman . physical development will be outdoor play , dancing large scale drawing on walls treading . expressive arts and designs again dancing role play, art.
hope that helps a bit

this is what i did prepare for them to look at

Focus are of leaning and development: PSED managing feelings and behaviour
(Other areas this activity will help develop)
PSED, Self confidence and self esteem and Making relationships, By providing a positive and rewarding relationship) Communication and language: Listening and attention, understanding, and speaking: through sharing books and the children becoming more interactive helping them understand
Literacy: handling books with interest
Understanding the world: people and communities, showing an interest in themselves and the people around the.
Activity:
Looking through books at different emotions on faces. When we look at a happy face we will smile and tell them they are happy, maybe tickle the child (if they like that) and say “yeahh your happy” . and the same for all the other emotions e.g sad, pull a sad face saying the word sad, comment that he/she is sad aww”

Extend the activity: if the child is a able (dependant on age/ability) get the children to copy the facial expression and allow them to look in a mirror. Always reward any positive point the child does to help improve self esteem throughout.
To extend this activity for a older child Ask them to act out the emotion, ask them have they ever felt that way ? Or what makes you feel like that. Again commenting on how brilliant there expressions are etc.
Links with home: tell the parent what we have been doing and what areas of development this helps develop. Discuss how their child reacts emotional to different situations or any anxieties they may have. Then we will work together to discuss strategies to help their child.

Focus area of learning and development. Communication and language: listening and attention
other areas of learning it will cover
PSED: boosting the child’s confidence in their own ability, helping the child build a secure bond. PD moving to the actions of the songs Communication language and literacy: speaking, encouraging repetitive sounds, older children listing to the sounds in the words and using their phonetic awareness to recreate their own words.
Activity: nursery rhymes
Together we will sing different nursery rhymes. We will sing songs that have actions to follow. This will help the child, listen to the sounds and begin to going in or anticipate different actions e.g. round and round the garden, the baby beginning to anticipate when you are going to tickle them. Extend by giving the child time to do the action before you show them to see their understanding. You can also add picture cards e.g a spider, and show it before you start to sing it, make note if they seem aware of what the song is e.g start wiggling their fingers when show the picture. Give them music rattles to shake with singing to help encourage movement also.
For older children. Repetition or song and rhymes will help them learn the words and actions and they can join in with the repetitive refrains. They can also be encouraged to make a string of rhyming words. Make it fun by adding silly words and laughing when you do it, so if their word isn’t a real word they wont feel embarrassed, and more willing to join in if it is funny.
Links with home: find out from the parents what the child’s favourite song is. If younger children have been making any particular sounds or words or if they are trying to master a particular word at home. Then discuss what our next steps should be. For older children, again discuss any areas of communication and language their child is excelling in and discus areas we need to focus on.

Focus area of learning and development: Physical development: movement and handling
Activity: building blocks
Young child
Babies thoroughly enjoy knocking down a cube tower and they have so much fun doing it. Build the tower up counting as you put each brick on, place the tower in different locations around the child and get them to stretch to knock it over, when they do clap and they will copy. This will help improve large motor skills and core stability. To extent the activity, encourage the child to place the cubes on the tower , applauding when they do.
Older children : provide the child with lots of different size brick and allow them to build using htier imagination. Provide a place where they can sit, or return to it later to continue to add to their structure.
Links with home: show the parent the child’s building and explain how much effort they have put into it.

Focus area of learning and development: literacy, Reading:
other areas of learning:, PSED: marking relations ships, self confidence and self esteem, Communication and language, listening and attention, understanding and speaking. Expressive arts and design, exploring media and materials.
Activity: reading
Young child
Read to the child on a daily basis, making the story sound interesting. Point to the words and the pictures. Give the child board books to look through, use sensory books allowing the child to touch the different textures.
Older child
Read stories on a daily basis, talk about what is happening in the story. Point to the words to help them understand print has a meaning. To extend the activity, ask what they think might happen next, at the end of the story discuss what had happened asking key questions.
In addition to looking for print in the environment.
Parent partnership: find out what the child’s favourite stories are. Maybe bring there favourite story to read or take their favourite book from me to read at home with parents.

Focus area of learning and development: mathematics, shape space and measure
other areas of learning and development PSED self-confidence and self awareness, physical development, moving and handling. Understanding the world, the world
Activity: treasure baskets,
Young child. Allow the child to play with a treasure basket. Include objects for them to explore using all their senses. Give them items of different size and weight and constancy. Use mathematical worlds during the play e.g have you got a ’big’ ball , or is that heavy/light etc. introducing them to explore the big and small items in context.
Older children. When playing with the treasure basket, use lots of mathematical words, play a game of putting them in size order or weigh order.
To extend the activity, go on a nature hunt and find items of a particular shape.
Links with home: ask parents to help them find different shapes in the environment or at home.

Focus area of learning and development: Understanding the world, technology.
Other areas of learning, PSED self confidence and self awareness, communication and language, understanding.
Activity: playing with toys with buttons, flaps and simple mechanisms
Young child. Provide the child with different toys which require the to press buttons for a reaction. Show the child how to do it, over and over making it in to a fun game. Become excited when the child tries it to encourage them to continue to try. Provide other resources which react with sounds/noises/lights when pressed. Extend the activity with a little more complicated to work toys e.g put the ball in the hole to make it work.
Older child: Provide the child with other technological toys/equipment, e.g torches old cameras, use the cd player or a remote control.
Links with home: Discuss with parents what we have been doing and ask when out in the environment allow the child to, press the button on the traffic light or talk into intercoms. At home allow them to use the remote, turn the hover on for them push the handle down on the toaster etc.

Focus area of learning and development: expressive arts and design , being imaginative
Activity role play : Tea party
Young child: Have a tea party with the children, place a blanket on the floor and provide different props.
Give the child a cup and pretend to pour them a drink. Make yourself a drink and pretend to drink it, making comments, mmm this is nice, or oww this is hot/cold etc. pretend to pick up food and eat it “yum this is delicious” see how the child copies
Older child: Provide different resources for them to role play with, dressing up clothes real props. Ask them if they would like to pour everyone at the picnic a drink. Most children will make their own story props from other items and even add a story line to their play. But if they don’t, provide a story line to get them started e.g “oh no when we packed the picnic, we forgot to get some cakes, could you please go tot eh shops and buy the ingredient to make our cakes, give them a pen and paper to write them down. When they have brought them, could they then make some cakes. Ask them questions , like , what flavor cakes are you going to make, be careful when putting them in the over, how long will they take to cook, what will you mix the mixture with and how many have you made. Encourage the children to use their own imagination.
Links with home: Discuss with the parents, what role play they do at home, what do the like to play, find out if they do role play at home that they do not do when here. Try an include within the play objects they use at home e.g. if the children use chop sticks at home, include these in the role play.

hope this helps if you want any other info on what she asked just ask x
good luck . by the way she was alright :)

dilew
02-10-2013, 09:31 PM
She also asked all the signs of child abuse. and what would you do in different situations, also how could i tell the difference between neglect of a child and their life style (when the child is dirty or under weight) obviously if the parent is nice and clean and the child is not the child is being neglected . she also asked what reasons would you contact ofsted . who would you contact if an accusation was made against me or another member of my family . they were the main questions.

hope that is of some help, i know how nerve wracking it is before they come. i have been working in nursery settings and the deputy manager of a pre-school for many years, but i was worried i would go blank when asked. but it was all ok
try not to panic to much
good luck

Joannep26
07-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Thank you so much that was really helpful