PDA

View Full Version : half fees for holidays???

butterfly2101
25-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Just wondering what the general view is: my CM charges me 50% of normal fees for holidays but when I have 4 kids going there I think its a bit much. Why should I be made to pay for a service she is not open to provide? I understnad i chose to take them out then I would pay. Also My twins need picking up from nursery and she charges me from before she collects them, as it covers her for the time it takes her to leave wherever she is to collect them? Is this right? I dont get paid for the time it takes me to get to work, but actually when I start work

Thanks

Mummits
26-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Childminders have all sorts of different fee arrangements and structures, and they are perfectly entitled to charge as they see fit and as they think will be acceptable to their potential customers, but all the terms and conditions should be set out in the contract and open to discussion before a parent/family agrees to start. That said, I think it's important not to get too hung up on a single detail. Your childminder may for instance charge half fees for her holidays (whilst another may not) but her overall package may be less costly for you, or more suitable in some other respect.

As for whether she should charge for the time she spends picking up your children from nursery, I would say it's up to her, but not unreasonable. Childminders are home-based, so she probably regards going out to fetch your children as work. If you were in your workplace and were asked to go somewhere else to meet a client, I imagine you would view that travel as work, and expect to be paid for your time. Another consideration is that you may actually be lucky to find a childminder who does not charge you for the time the children are at nursery - many would either argue that they are taking a full time place so need to pay a whole days fee, or simply not be interested in taking on children who would need a nursery run.

I think parents often just think in terms of the cost for the hours childcare provided - whereas childcarers will think in terms of whether providing a particular hours or services is the most rewarding use of their time, financially or otherwise. So for most, caring for a child all day every day without any school or nursery time will pay best and be least complicated. Providing wrap around care for nursery may not be her first choice, so you need to think if you are happy overall or if you are prepared to go elsewhere if she will not negotiate on this (assuming you have other options).

Chatterbox Childcare
26-09-2013, 01:08 PM
I assume that if you are paying 50% when the childminder is off you are only paying 50% when you are off. Personally I have three weeks fully paid

Daftbat
26-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Hi,

The circumstances you describe are perfectly usual in childminding situations and I believe that PACEY (used to be NCMA) actually advise childminders to charge for their own time off. I however go against the grain ad always have. I don't believe in charging parents for a service if \I can't provide it for reasons of ill health or holiday. I do however as for a half fee retainer for parents taking holiday when I cam working. Its a delicate subject in some ways as it can be argued that I do in effect charge, I just calculate it in to my overall charges for the year.

As childminders are self employed they can charge however they like and its something that should be questioned in detail at the time of the contract being set up. If you are really unhappy about it then I suggest you make an appointment to speak with your childminder and discuss it. She may be amenable to making an adjustment to your contract.

Bluebell
27-09-2013, 11:17 AM
its an ongoing question isn't it? - charge for a service you're not providing or bump your fees up to a higher rate so you can afford to take time off. If you are employed in a job you get 28 days fully paid. A childminder receiving only 50% of their income still may not be able to take as much time off as they would like because they just can not financially afford to do it.

I can not afford to take 4 weeks off a year - the first year I childminded I didn't take any time off at all and by the end of the year I was exhausted, run down and I am sure I was not offering the best care I could to the children. After my time off I felt newly enthused and energetic to plan nice activities and outings.

I think you have had some really good advice and I hope you can value the service you get from the childminder. Many charge minimum hours, or a higher fee for nursery pick up so maybe before talking to your childminder perhaps you could compare what other after school services charge for the under 5's and you might find you are getting a really good deal.

Very best wishes

shortstuff
27-09-2013, 11:22 AM
As others have said i think you just need to have a good open conversation with your CM and ask why she charges as she does. There might be very valid reasons and you may see why. If not see if there is any flexibility in what can be done.

You never know unless you talk things through.

Kittycat
05-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Just wondering what the general view is: my CM charges me 50% of normal fees for holidays but when I have 4 kids going there I think its a bit much. Why should I be made to pay for a service she is not open to provide? I understnad i chose to take them out then I would pay. Also My twins need picking up from nursery and she charges me from before she collects them, as it covers her for the time it takes her to leave wherever she is to collect them? Is this right? I dont get paid for the time it takes me to get to work, but actually when I start work

Thanks

I charge half fees during the school holidays regardless if I am only needed term time however my service would be available to them if they needed me during the holidays, considering I had the availability ( currently only have before and afterschool children.
I charge during the holidays,
1, to keep the space open
2, I too need a regular income during the holidays

If the child was at nursery, I don't charge the time they are attending
And I charge from the second they come out of nursery school etc, I don't charge from the minute I leave my house.

It's a small world
06-10-2013, 08:03 AM
I used to charge full fees for childrens holidays and nine for mine. I then realised I wasn't able to take time off as couldn't afford not having an income. I then decided to offer 20 days half fess for childrens holidays and then full fees and 20 days half fees for my holidays then no fess if any holidays taken after that. This eventually works out like most childminders who charge full fees for children and no fees for theirs it just means that I can take more time off with my own children. I asked my parents before making this choice and they were happy about this and sometimes we take the same holidays so whereas before i wouldn't get paid at least this way I'm getting half. As mentioned previously we need to be able to hold this space hence the charges .as for nursery i only charge when they are there if I'm down as an emergency contact . If I'm not then only fess for dropping off and collecting . Hope this helps . I understand it can be costly with several children but we need to pay bills too . I personally think some of us are too generous compared to others xx

loocyloo
06-10-2013, 08:27 AM
If I am dropping a child at nursery and picking up, or if I am expected to have child if nursery is shut or in the holidays then I charge full fees for the child during the time they are at nursery.
I charge full fees for child's holiday/non attendence and no fees if I am not working. However I have recently increased my fees to cover parents paying half fees for my 4 weeks off without actually charging for those weeks at the time.

Simona
13-10-2013, 08:13 AM

Thanks

You are a parent and your question is very pertinent.
CMs have specific terms and conditions and we all do things very differently when it comes to holidays

I understand your question about why should you pay when your CM is not available to care for your children but I feel this can be turned the other way round too.
When I employed staff in my preschool I paid them full feel during their holiday although they did not work and I had to find cover for their holiday entitlement

What are your thoughts on this?