PDA

View Full Version : Co minding advice needed please

hugsngiggles
18-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Hi all,

I am thinking of contracting in another childminder 6/7 hours per week to offer me a bit of respite in my hectic life and ultimately to provide cover when I need to be there for a terminally ill relative. Although I've read up lots, I would really appreciate clarification on a few points;

* Can the other childminder be registered to work in two properties at once?
* I've only recently been inspected. Will Ofsted inspect the other person at my property? Will they want to do an initial visit as in change of address?
* I have a self-assessed variation in place for 4 under5s due to continuation of care when a part tiner went full time; would the other childminder just be able to take over this?
* Am I right in thinking that as the childminder will already be registered and self employed in her own right, she can just invoice me for the hours under her existing business?
* Where can I find a contract template?
* What other paperwork should I consider? Any other thoughts?

Any help is gratefully received.

sarah707
19-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi all,

I am thinking of contracting in another childminder 6/7 hours per week to offer me a bit of respite in my hectic life and ultimately to provide cover when I need to be there for a terminally ill relative. Although I've read up lots, I would really appreciate clarification on a few points;

* Can the other childminder be registered to work in two properties at once?

I suggest you check this one with Ofsted - 0345 100 1231

* I've only recently been inspected. Will Ofsted inspect the other person at my property? Will they want to do an initial visit as in change of address?

Nobody knows what Ofsted will / will not do! You have to assume they could turn up at any time - then you'll be ready

* I have a self-assessed variation in place for 4 under5s due to continuation of care when a part tiner went full time; would the other childminder just be able to take over this?

No - not automatically - it is your variation because you know the children really well and know you can manage their individual needs and the RA you have written refers to you and your way of working.

You would need to be confident the other cm can do the same things as you - and a new RA / parents consultation would be needed.

* Am I right in thinking that as the childminder will already be registered and self employed in her own right, she can just invoice me for the hours under her existing business?

That is my understanding of the situation but HMRC do give out conflicting advice so I suggest you ring them and talk through your individual circumstances.

* Where can I find a contract template?

You will need to draw one up yourself. I suggest asking someone legal to look over it to make sure it protects everyone.

* What other paperwork should I consider? Any other thoughts?

Go through the Eyfs and look for references to 'assistant' and 'staff' - those are the extra things you need to do. You must also have a whistleblowing policy.

Any help is gratefully received.

I hope that gets you started.

So sorry to hear about your relative. Hugs x

Chatterbox Childcare
19-09-2013, 05:26 PM
If the childminder is at your property then I believe Ofsted have to be notified and it will be noted on both of your registrations

If she is another childminder then I would expect her to have contracts of her own for your children but if she was an assistant then you could leave her for temporary time (not all day)