PDA

View Full Version : I hate enforcing the 48hr exclusion rule when...

moggy
17-09-2013, 08:46 PM
I hate enforcing the 48hr exclusion rule when the child (18mth) is bright and happy after vomiting up their dinner, no symptoms of anything and was most likely just a bit of dinner going down the wrong way that caused it. Poor mum now having to find cover for important day at work tomorrow as child can't come to me. I feel awful about it.

I know we have to be careful and protect ourselves and other children from sickness bugs, but I feel so bad about it as this child is not ill (mum has text to say child has been fine all evening).

Are you as strict with the rule? Do you ever bend it where child is obviously fine? or am I just too soft for feeling bad like this?

sing-low
17-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I haven't had to do this yet but am dreading it! I guess the thing is if you start bending the rule in one case then you open the door to them coming when just a little bit ill etc.

scottishlass
17-09-2013, 09:49 PM
I have a wee one who used to be sick after/during a lot of his meals - seen by his gp and was his reflux so I don't exclude him or he would never be here x

Smileyface
17-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Evening ladies well I am furious mum and child turn up this morning 7am and explained at drop off how child was sick twice in the night really bad... As it was 7am I really didn't think about it child has been fine all day. But now my own child has been sick twice now within the hour!
What can I do...? The child is now not due till next Tuesday I think the mother was very sly I am furious

miffy
17-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Always a difficult one but it would depend for me what the child was like before they were sick - if clearly unwell or with a temp then I would exclude but if I felt the sickness was, as you suggested, just due to food going down the wrong way and child was fine afterwards then I probably wouldn't. I suppose you,just have to trust your instincts.

Miffy xx

miffy
17-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Evening ladies well I am furious mum and child turn up this morning 7am and explained at drop off how child was sick twice in the night really bad... As it was 7am I really didn't think about it child has been fine all day. But now my own child has been sick twice now within the hour!
What can I do...? The child is now not due till next Tuesday I think the mother was very sly I am furious

I'm sorry your child is ill but I don't understand why you say the mum was sly, she did tell you her child had been sick twice in the night.

Miffy xx

Smileyface
17-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Hello miffy I mean sly as in why didn't she call me before she left her house her son is very clearly poorly to be so very sick in the night! Then I would have suggested not to bring him yes I should have said this as she dropped him off just kicking myself now as my daughter is poorly
X

CLL
17-09-2013, 11:07 PM
I only exclude if clearly a stomach bug. I wouldn't exclude if a child has just brought up some of their lunch. Babies are quite often sick if they eat too much or if the food goes down funny.

adedwards68
18-09-2013, 05:56 AM
What do you do when a child has just a cold but is feeling poorly and constantly wants to be cuddled. Yesterday I phoned parent to collect a child early because if this. I felt it was better for them to be at home plus it affected the car of other children
I'm sure nursery and schools would send them home

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

christine e
18-09-2013, 06:00 AM
What do you do when a child has just a cold but is feeling poorly and constantly wants to be cuddled. Yesterday I phoned parent to collect a child early because if this. I felt it was better for them to be at home plus it affected the car of other children
I'm sure nursery and schools would send them home

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

If the child has a cold but can still continue doing our normal activities then they can come if like your child they are clearly unhappy then I would do as you did:thumbsup:

Kerry30
18-09-2013, 06:21 AM
Personally i think you know when a child should be at home. Its that whole instincts thing especially when u no a child well. I sent a child home once altho she wasnt sick she really wasnt well just felt it wasnt fair on her. She then came the following morning as mum said she perked up at home. Anyway i sent her home again, the next day she didnt come...turned out she had a really bad cold virus that just wiped her out completely poor thing.

Ripeberry
18-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Sickness bugs are a pain. Once I rang a parent to say not to come over as I was ill and she said 'Oh yes, mindee has been sick all night as well'.
But because I rang FIRST, it meant that I would not get paid. It's such a balancing act sometimes :(

Angela234
18-09-2013, 07:37 AM
I had a child who would be sick on the way here about 3 times a month (20 mile trip) first time mum took him home then we realised it was just travel sickness so after that mum would take him home clean him up and come back a bit later.
The same child one day put some salt playdough into his mouth seconds later was sick all over himself I cleaned him up he was fine so kept him it was just the salt.
Had another child who seemed tired that day was eating his diner then sick everywhere I sent him home mum said he was fine the rest of the day but seeing he wasn't his usual self I was happy for him to go home.

I think you can tell or if in doubt send home

hectors house
18-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Sometimes children are sick if something disagrees with them - we had to stop giving one of our daughter's boiled egg for tea as I think the cooked egg white was hard to digest when asleep and lay heavy in her stomach and after several times of being sick we noticed a pattern. She was absolutely fine after she was sick, I never kept her away from childminders the next day.

kellyjef
21-09-2013, 01:28 PM
I have a little one how comes every other week with a cold. She can not stop coughing she is tired all day she wont eat and gets herself so upset. She fights with the others were she is not in the mood to play its really hard i feel she would be better off at home but also understand mum and dad cant be off every other week. Her sister how i look after was off with a stomach and i used the 48hour rule parents understood.

Samantha_j41
21-09-2013, 01:49 PM
This is difficult, as my own daughter was a very sick child - it was reflux at 6 months old, but as she got older reflux went but was still very sicky. I told parents this and all parents were fine, as it wasnt bugs it was like youve mentioned food gone down wrong way, too much milk, etc. x

Zoomie
21-09-2013, 02:21 PM
I have lost count the number of times my DD has been sick - just the one time.

I always follow the 48 hour rule.

One time a tummy bug went through our entire household. I ended up being closed for 10 days (Saturday to NEXT Tuesday).

mrs robbie williams
21-09-2013, 03:19 PM
My ds was off school Friday with upset tummy so i had to close x