PDA

View Full Version : Accidents forms - parent query??

Jexer72
16-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Hi - one of my new parents had to sign an accident form recently. I completed it as her lo (15 months) slightly bumped her head on the side of my sofa when she stumbled. There wasn't even a mark but I thought I would fill out a form as a matter of good practice as also as it concerned her head. Mum asked why I bothered to do them and what was the purpose of the forms. I explained it was to cover my back as I work alone and there are no witnesses. I said it is my policy to note all accidents however minor in case there is any comeback. Also we are required by our insurance company to do it. Afterwards I thought there is probably a better answer but she caught be on the hop. What would you have said?

sing-low
16-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Hi - one of my new parents had to sign an accident form recently. I completed it as her lo (15 months) slightly bumped her head on the side of my sofa when she stumbled. There wasn't even a mark but I thought I would fill out a form as a matter of good practice as also as it concerned her head. Mum asked why I bothered to do them and what was the purpose of the forms. I explained it was to cover my back as I work alone and there are no witnesses. I said it is my policy to note all accidents however minor in case there is any comeback. Also we are required by our insurance company to do it. Afterwards I thought there is probably a better answer but she caught be on the hop. What would you have said?

Sounds like you covered most things. I might have added that it was part of your commitment to communicating with parents, making sure that they know what's been happening with their child. You tell them they painted a picture, had a nap, 2 wet nappies and bumped their head. Also, you could say to parent, wouldn't they worry if an accident happened (even if minor and no mark) and you didn't tell them.

sarah707
16-09-2013, 04:44 PM
I think you answered fine!

I know from colleagues that it's a dreadful feeling to get a call at silly o-clock asking what the bruise is on a child - and you've not written it up because it didn't seem to leave a mark :(

It is a requirement to record all accidents / injuries and first aid so you did absolutely the right thing :D

EmmaReed84
16-09-2013, 04:59 PM
I once filled out a medicine form for a child. I only had to give her one dose, and asked parents permission before hand, did everything I needed. Upon collection I asked to sign, he rolled his eyes (not at me) and said he felt so sorry for me having to fill out "all these ridiculous forms just to keep Ofsted happy" then said "I am surprised you don't fill out a form for when they go to the toilet!" I laughed and replied with "Well, actually, for nappy wearers and potty trainers I do!" He just burst out laughing.

When I have new parents come to visit and I show then my portfolio I also give them my "Working Folder" it has all my forms that I use all printed out in sections. I explain these are all the forms they can expect to see at some point during my contract of care. I explain some of the forms and others are self-explanatory.

lisbet
16-09-2013, 07:28 PM
When I have new parents come to visit and I show then my portfolio I also give them my "Working Folder" it has all my forms that I use all printed out in sections. I explain these are all the forms they can expect to see at some point during my contract of care. I explain some of the forms and others are self-explanatory.

That's a great idea! :thumbsup:

Jexer72
19-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Great replies. Love the idea of the workbook and showing parents at first meeting