PDA

View Full Version : The govt should stop intervening in early education (The Telegraph)

Simona
12-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Totally in agreement with this letter and those, many well known experts and providers' representatives, who have signed it.
It would carry an awful lot of weight if providers were able to add their signature on it.

The Government should stop intervening in early education - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/letters/10302844/The-Government-should-stop-intervening-in-early-education.html)

Simona
12-09-2013, 10:54 AM
More on the topic

Early schooling damaging children's wellbeing, say experts | Education | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/sep/12/early-years-schooling-damaging-wellbeing)

loocyloo
12-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Excellent letter. I shall be forwarding it to everyone.

Simona
12-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Excellent letter. I shall be forwarding it to everyone.

Thank you Loocyloo...also please spread the petition which I posted here this morning and also in my Focus Group
As we providers cannot sign the letter we can back the letter that way.
At the moment this is the topic on twitter...good support!

More here
Childcare experts call for changes to 'political and uninformed' early education policies (http://www.daynurseries.co.uk/news/article.cfm/id/1561017/childcare-experts-call-for-changes-to-political-and-uninformed-early-education-policy-making#.UjGgK3aovV0.twitter)

Simona
12-09-2013, 04:34 PM
If you are interested in this topic...June O'Sullivan, one of the signatories in the letter, will be on Channel 5 news tonight at 6pm

I wonder if Truss will watch after her arrogant response to the letter...the minister is rattled I hope!!

Simona
12-09-2013, 05:05 PM
AAArrGGHH...someone tweeted the wrong news
Channel 5 has no news at 6!

6.30 pm !!!

Simona
13-09-2013, 09:40 AM
If you wish to vote on what age children should start school...scroll half way down on the article page

Start schooling later than age five, say experts - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10302249/Start-schooling-later-than-age-five-say-experts.html)

Mouse
13-09-2013, 09:58 AM
The problem with this argument is that people are failing to see the difference between a child starting school and a child starting a formal education.

I agree that starting a formal education at 4 years old is wrong. Children of that age shouldn't be stuck in a formal routine with no chance to rest during the day. And they certainly shouldn't be given homework, worksheets and targets.

But for many children, they really shouldn't be at home until they are 6 or 7 years old. I live in a 'deprived' area and the fact that many children go to a school nursery from the age of 3 really is a blessing. For many it's their one chance of experiencing some sort of 'normality' and routine. It is also the first chance many of them have to learn manners and values.

I have seen many people saying 6 or 7 is too old for a child to be going to school (which I agree with), but missing the point that the whole debate is about when they should start a formal education. I see nothing wrong with children being on a "setting" at the age of 4 or 5, but at that age it should all be about acquiring social skills and learning at their own pace, not about forcing them to write their own name before they're ready. We shouldn't hold back the children who are ready to learn, but we shouldn't push those who aren't.

Simona
13-09-2013, 10:19 AM
The problem with this argument is that people are failing to see the difference between a child starting school and a child starting a formal education.

I agree that starting a formal education at 4 years old is wrong. Children of that age shouldn't be stuck in a formal routine with no chance to rest during the day. And they certainly shouldn't be given homework, worksheets and targets.

But for many children, they really shouldn't be at home until they are 6 or 7 years old. I live in a 'deprived' area and the fact that many children go to a school nursery from the age of 3 really is a blessing. For many it's their one chance of experiencing some sort of 'normality' and routine. It is also the first chance many of them have to learn manners and values.

I have seen many people saying 6 or 7 is too old for a child to be going to school (which I agree with), but missing the point that the whole debate is about when they should start a formal education. I see nothing wrong with children being on a "setting" at the age of 4 or 5, but at that age it should all be about acquiring social skills and learning at their own pace, not about forcing them to write their own name before they're ready. We shouldn't hold back the children who are ready to learn, but we shouldn't push those who aren't.

Mouse.. that is the very reason why Truss missed the point...she said people want 'education abolished'...or they want to deprive 'poor children' of one!!!
NO WAY...no one said that!

No one is saying children should start school at 6 or 7...what people are saying 'formal schooling' should start at that age giving children the right to access good quality 'early education' in preparation for formal schooling.

That is why everyone is furious with Truss....she put her own spin to defend Gove and produced waffle in her reply!.

Ignoring what experts say is like going to a NHS consultant and then rejecting his/her professional opinion and go to Hunt as Minster for Health to get his advice because the expert is wrong!!

Mouse
13-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Yes, I see that Truss completely missed the point, but what else did we expect!

I was thinking also of the replies I've read to articles in the paper or online. The general public seem to be missing the point, with many of them agreeing with Truss that children shouldn't be at home until they are 6 or 7. Maybe the letter didn't quite get it's point across?

Simona
13-09-2013, 11:02 AM
Yes, I see that Truss completely missed the point, but what else did we expect!

I was thinking also of the replies I've read to articles in the paper or online. The general public seem to be missing the point, with many of them agreeing with Truss that children shouldn't be at home until they are 6 or 7. Maybe the letter didn't quite get it's point across?

Yes ...it is easy for parents to misunderstand and those, like Truss, who misunderstand on purpose and move to alternative topics when directly questioned!
Parents will be terrified at the prospect of having to pay for childcare until 6 or 7...

We will need to try hard to get the message clear
I have not read the comments because someone warned they are a bit too much for our wellbeing...every one entitled to their opinion I suppose!
but we must respond to them.