PDA

View Full Version : Contract cancelled wont pay

Speake485
07-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Hi I'm a relatively new childminder so need some advice .. I have a mindee who's two. Been having her for about three months now . Mum has put her in lots of different settings and she's never really settled but has finally come out of her shell here and is talking and eating and is doing well. However mum is a nightmare doesn't turn up, doesn't contact to let me no . Is always late on collection and always pays late so generally is a pain.
We have a 12 hr contract and this week mindee hasn't come didn't let me no y however I received a tex this morning cancelling our contract . I feel sorry for the mindee as she does get pushed from pillar to post but I respect its mums decision.
I responded to say its fine and that we have a four week cancellation period as per our contract so will mindee be attending during this time .
I've had a response to say she's not coming bk and can't afford to pay anymore so won't be paying!
Just wondering what you would do next as I'm angry and want to try and be rational about my response ??
Tia

adedwards68
07-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Are you with Pacey or MM. Ring them Monday for advice. I personally would send her a letter/ email accepting her cancelling of the contract but state about the 4 weeks notice and say care will end on ........(date 4 weeks from now) and say what fees will be due whether she intends to send child or not
I've always sent a letter recorded delivery so I have proof they received it. And keep a copy of the letter and any emails texts etc

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

blue bear
07-09-2013, 07:51 AM
No more texts.
Write a formal letter

Dear x
This is to confirm I have received your notification to cancel the childcare contract for x with immediate effect, I can confirm as per the contract £x is outstanding and should be paid by x date or I will seek legal advice to recalaim the monies owing

I have loved caring for x she is a delight and I will miss her, I wish you all the best for the future.

Contact your Insurance company they will word you a letter to send and next steps to take.

EmmaReed84
07-09-2013, 08:00 AM
No more texts.
Write a formal letter

Dear x
This is to confirm I have received your notification to cancel the childcare contract for x with immediate effect, I can confirm as per the contract £x is outstanding and should be paid by x date or I will seek legal advice to recalaim the monies owing

I have loved caring for x she is a delight and I will miss her, I wish you all the best for the future.

Contact your Insurance company they will word you a letter to send and next steps to take.

Definitely this... Personally, if it were me (just to cover all angles) I would send it recorded delivery AND via email. Create a letter head with your business details on, write the letter on that and send it, then save it as a PDF and send it as an attachment as well. Confirm in the email that you have also sent a hard copy of the letter recorded delivery with the date and time of postage and the details on the receipt. Print the email, and the letter and staple it altogether along with the receipt. Make sure you keep evidence of all correspondence.

If she calls you, your texts you, follow it up with an email confirming the conversation. So for example, if she texts you, reply then confirm it again by email. Also quote her text in the email with the date and time the message was received.

Rick
07-09-2013, 08:16 AM
This thread may also help you :thumbsup:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/book-keeping-accounts-tax-expenses-national-insurance/123083-debt-recovery-letter.html

bunyip
07-09-2013, 08:28 AM
I agree with previous replies.

Pursue the debt through your insurer/professional body. Your initial letter should state that you have free legal support, so you can and will chase a debt at no cost to yourself, and that a CCJ awarded against her would stuff her credit rating.

Do be aware that you may win a legal case for debt recovery but may never see the money if she has genuine financial difficulties. For this and other reasons, make sure you insist on advance payment for all your future contracts. No money = no care + no exceptions.

Be aware that some LSCBs regard regular non-attendance ot registered settings as a "cause for concern". I'd ask your LSCB about this and you may need/wish to log it as a 'concern'.

Hope it all works out for you and that you get a better replacement client very soon. :)