PDA

View Full Version : When is a 4 year old classed as a rising 5?

Chatterbox Childcare
03-09-2013, 05:59 PM
If you care for children aged four and five who are in full time education, either before or after school or in the school holidays, you may count them as older than the early years age group for the purposes of ratios. This would also apply to your own child. This allows you have to have extra children in the early years age group but no more than six children in total. This is often referred to as ‘Rising Fives’, it is important to note that whilst these children are still in the early years age group you must continue to deliver the Early Years Foundation Stage.

The Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage does not specify that the children must be in reception class or year 1, only that they are in full time education. Therefore four-years-olds attending maintained nursery schools or maintained nursery classes (or an independent school where they are pupils of the school) may be counted as attending full time education if they do indeed attend for a whole school day.

It is more usual for younger children to attend maintained nursery schools or classes on a part-time basis but if they do attend full time they can be counted as older than the early years age group for the purpose of the ratios. They can only be counted as older than the early years age group if they attend the childminder before and/or after a normal school day (also in the school holidays).

This situation would not apply of the children went to a day nursery or pre-school for these sort of hours as we would not count attendance at such a facility as full time education.

I hope this information helps.

However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us

Regards,

Robert Aldred
Ofsted - National Business Unit
TEL: 0300 123 1231

blue bear
03-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Thank you for that, interesting how a private or maintained nursery can be counted as education but not day nursery or pre school when often qualification of staff is often the same or sometimes greater.

When I had a lo aged 4 at private school nursery I applied for a variation and was told I didn't need one as she could be counted as a rising five, this was three years ago.

sarah707
04-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Thank you for clarifying with Ofsted Chatterbox.

In my opinion, this is very confusing information and I am very concerned that childminders will misread it and make judgements that lead them to overminding accusations in the future :(

If you are unsure about whether you can do a variation based on this information, please check first! It's not worth getting it wrong x

Chatterbox Childcare
04-09-2013, 12:08 PM
I have researched a bit further and it looks like a maintained school is one that you do not have to pay for. Check out the DFE if you need more clarification