PDA

View Full Version : different age groups and what needs to be done?

kimmy79
30-08-2013, 08:48 PM
hi all,

I have managed to sign up a 6 month old starting october (diff weekdays each week), brothers aged 9 and 10 (3 weekends out of 4 and school holidays) and a 4 yr old (at least 2 weekends out of 4). I'm just wondering what i need to do with regards to the weekenders? The weekenders are going between myself and another childminder (she does the weekdays as i dont cover the schools they attend) so how much planning, obs, recording of info etc do i need to do? I will of course keep a learning journal etc for the 4 year old but what about the older children? As they are not in the eyfs do will ofsted be interested in their activities while in my care. The 4 year old will only be here 2 weekends out of 4 and with the other minder more than with me so should i do everything with him as i would do with a full time child?!

Hope all that makes sense to someone else :blush:

Thanks in advance :clapping:

lilac_dragon
31-08-2013, 06:25 AM
I'll be interested in what others say to this.
I don't know that it says anywhere that childminding is Mon- Fri only, so if you're doing this in your own home it's still childminding not babysitting. Therefore you should treat it as if it's weekdays and do everything you would normally be expected to do?
Mrs O doesn't visit settings at the weekends so that's another interesting point as she would only expect to see evidence for children who are with you on the day she visits.
Hmmm.
What does everyone else think?

kimmy79
31-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Thanks for your reply lilac_dragon, its a bit of a confusing one isnt it :rolleyes: Im just thinking it would be best to do everything as normal for the 4 year old but am a bit unsure how ofsted will assess etc and also what do i need to have in place for the older children with regards to ofsted, if anything?

Any advice is greatly appreciated :D

moggy
31-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Doesn't matter what the days of the week are, all EYFS children you need to show progress in learning & development- that can be a LJ, but keep it in proportion to the number of days a month they are with you. So icludes the 6mth old and the 4 year old IF NOT AT FULL TIME school. If at full-time school then it is classed as 'wrap-around and holiday care' so read Section 1, paragraph 1.3 of EYFS.

The 9 & 10 yr olds are not EYFS children so nothing required for them.

Just because it is the weekend does not mean the child does not learn and develop- they can learn to sit up, take their first steps, learn to use scissors or ride a bike on any day of the week and we need to support and note that and plan from it.

kimmy79
31-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Thank you for your reply moggy :) very big help there! Ok so the the 4 year old will be going into reception once school term begins next week. I believe he is with another childminder closer to home for before/after school and school holidays. I have read the development matters paragraph and but how would i 'complement learning in other settings'? Can i ask to see his LJ if he has one and any other work the minder may have? Im not sure if the other minder is new to him too as his mom has just returned to work this week. As i dont have him school time or holidays is the weekend still classed as wrap around care?

sorry for all the questions!! If anyone can help that would be brilliant! thanks in advance :thumbsup:

moggy
31-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Thank you for your reply moggy :) very big help there! Ok so the the 4 year old will be going into reception once school term begins next week. I believe he is with another childminder closer to home for before/after school and school holidays. I have read the development matters paragraph and but how would i 'complement learning in other settings'? Can i ask to see his LJ if he has one and any other work the minder may have? Im not sure if the other minder is new to him too as his mom has just returned to work this week. As i dont have him school time or holidays is the weekend still classed as wrap around care?

sorry for all the questions!! If anyone can help that would be brilliant! thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Just a couple of weekends a month is such an unusual situation there is no specific wording for it in the EYFS, but to be safe I would class it as 'wrap-around and holiday' care and follow those guidelines.

To be able to compliment learning at other settings you need to talk to them so: first get agreement from parent to make contact with other settings (school and other CM) then write letter of introduction to both with your contact details, say you have parents' agreement (I get parents to sign this letter too to make it clear to all) and something like how you would be happy to work together to support child X, maybe suggest meeting up or telephoning at intervals (termly?) to discuss progress etc. Ask school for any term's topic plans (if they are doing a big topic on something that you can link to one weekend with a trip out somewhere then that is great- that is the kind of thing that they mean by complimenting learning), maybe ask to be added to Newsletter mailing list if possible etc. Just shows you are doing the right thing, they might get back to you they might not but at least you have done right- keep copies of all letter and any follow up for Ofsted.

kimmy79
31-08-2013, 07:51 PM
thank you so much moggy, all this has happened at quite short notice so i shall get communication going with other cm and school as soon as possible.

there is so much help and advice on here, its fantastic :thumbsup:

VeggieSausage
01-09-2013, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't do anything for older children at school you are having odd weekends at all personally, just focus on having fun weekends if possible having a houseful of mindees lol (sorry couldn't resist!)....

flump159
01-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I would only do the little ones you have

kimmy79
01-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies,

I think i will do LJ for the 4 year old as i will be doing for the baby, but i will just keep it more simple if that makes sense! With the older ones do i still need to give policies, ofsted contact numbers, and all other paperwork as i would do a younger child?? Or is the care contract for them purely between me and parents and have nothing to do with ofsted iyswim?