PDA

View Full Version : Taking childminder concerns to Ofsted

sarah707
29-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Excellent news! :clapping::clapping:

We have received confirmation that Pre-school learning alliance (PLA) will take childminder concerns about Ofsted inspection actions directly to Ofsted on our behalf AND that our comments will be included in the 'Ofsted big conversation' which is being set up by nurseries, pre-schools and childminders to try and engage Ofsted in useful discussion about the way inspections are being conducted.

Please read through this letter for me - I have included as many of your concerns as possible - and comments from colleagues on other groups / forums and sent to me privately.

If you have any feedback or more information you would like me to add please let me know.

By working together the voices of independent childminders will be heard!! :cheerleader:

shortstuff
29-08-2013, 01:56 PM
that sounds brilliantly put together, im gutted that we are treated like this but well done for putting it together in such an eloquent way.

Time will tell i suppose x

Thanks Sarah x

westbrom44
29-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Thank you Sarah! Very well written. All your hard work on our behalf is very much appreciated.

Stapleton83
29-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Hi Sarah,

Had a read and think it is excellent, thank you for being so on the ball. What I did find worrying was how many random things seemed to have come up at inspections!

Sam x

lilac_dragon
29-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Sarah,that's brilliant.
Thank you.

miffy
29-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Brilliantly put together Sarah, makes pretty damning (for Ofsted) reading though.

Thanks again for all your hard work

Miffy xx

desiderata
30-08-2013, 06:41 AM
Sarah I have just read through that and its Brilliant !! you have such a good way with words. Surely they cannot ignore all the details in there . Thank you for all your hard work you do for us .

mrstom
30-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Aha!! I had to log into the laptop as my phone wouldn't let me view the attachment.

The document is brilliant Sarah (as always). I found myself aghast at some of the comments brought up by inspectors! Thank you for putting it together :clapping:

EmmaReed84
30-08-2013, 07:19 AM
OMG! Reading through that, I am utterly speechless!

My very first inspection I was told that because I didn't have a "permission to seek medical emergency treatment" signed I could only get a satisfactory. A month later I was filling out the NCMA child record form which actually did have that question, I checked my paperwork that the inspector looked at and it WAS signed!

I just can't believe some of the things I read on there!!

sarah707
30-08-2013, 08:06 AM
I was given an interesting one to add the other day...

3 childminders - 3 totally different pieces of advice about whether registers need to be signed by parents!! :rolleyes:

The mind boggles it really does... 'x factor' indeed :panic:

It has been quite thought provoking putting it all together to be honest. I have found myself even more determined to challenge if I know something that is suggested to me is wrong :D

Dilly Daydream
30-08-2013, 08:18 AM

3 childminders - 3 totally different pieces of advice about whether registers need to be signed by parents!! :rolleyes:

It has been quite thought provoking putting it all together to be honest. I have found myself even more determined to challenge if I know something that is suggested to me is wrong :D

Replying to remind me to revisit this thread to have a read when I get on laptop. I haven't had my first inspection yet due to circumstances at the times inspections were due, mainly no early years on books at the time. So I am a bit worried about my inspection when I finally get one next year - currently on maternity leave not due back til late February. Plus I have heard the inspector I would more than likely get has left her role as she was sick of all the changes and the possible changes in the future. This is a shame as this inspector was respected highly in this area for being sensible and helpful. I am dreading who I might get now. All the local inspections seemed to happen all at once so no one appears to have had one recently so there is no local knowledge of which inspectors are doing the rounds. Any heads up on possible problems is greatly appreciated as I have ages to perfect all my paperwork and practices as baby sleeps a lot during the day and my little girl starts full time school soon. Thanks in advance again Sarah for, no doubt, a riveting read x

TooEarlyForGin?
30-08-2013, 08:24 AM

On things like this Sarah, it really does need clarification, and also equality throughout industry, because parents are not required to sign attendance registers at pre-schools, schools and nursery's, so why us? Also all the comments with working with other settings, why the pressure is put on us, when we work alone with no spare time, yet I have never had 1 other setting contact me in 12 years of minding, and yet some are outstanding, again double standards.

Thank you for putting it together, I really hope they listen.

hectors house
30-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Thank you for all your hard work Sarah and really pleased to hear that PLA will put our views and concerns across.

Basically boils down to "You're damned if you do and damned if you don't" - it all depends on the inspector you get and as you are rarely inspected by same inspector as last time how can they tell if you have improved or not?

My first inspection in 2005 was a lovely experience - simple 5 question form to fill out on how I rated myself and I got Good. Then EYFS came in - 2009 different inspector, I found it very stressful - I felt I had improved 100% since the first inspection, still got good. Now due inspection again - still constantly trying to improve but new standards again - have to wait and see what mood the inspector is when she arrives this time!

SYLVIA
30-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Excellent document Sarah and so many shocking comments. The worse one I had was being told that my floor wasn't clean enough and had I any intention of using the carpet cleaner she had seen in the cupboard. I was gutted by this rude remark but that is nothing compared to these ones

JCrakers
30-08-2013, 09:27 AM
That's a really good document Sarah. Its made me very angry reading through it and it has bought back memories of my own inspection. :mad:

My inspector from Prospect did say 'Childminders don't get outstanding' and 'It's easier for nurseries to get outstanding because they have more children with special needs and they have wider networks'

I asked her what I could do to improve and she couldn't think of anything.

I'm still angry 18m later

rickysmiths
30-08-2013, 09:42 AM
On things like this Sarah, it really does need clarification, and also equality throughout industry, because parents are not required to sign attendance registers at pre-schools, schools and nursery's, so why us? Also all the comments with working with other settings, why the pressure is put on us, when we work alone with no spare time, yet I have never had 1 other setting contact me in 12 years of minding, and yet some are outstanding, again double standards.

Thank you for putting it together, I really hope they listen.

Oh how I agree with you with regard to working with other settings. A classic a few years ago was my local school to which I took two children to Reception. I introduced myself to the teacher and asked if she would be kind enough to let me know what topics the children would be doing so I could follow them at my setting. My head was bitten off and I was told in no uncertain terms that she could not discuss anything with me because I was not the parent and it was confidential I would have to ask the parents!! That Reception got an Outstanding Grading from Ofsed.

Also over the last three years I have had children from one family and at 18 months the older one left me one day a week and was put into a Day Nursery I ahve had no contact from them ever I have never seen a LJ and interestingly I have a parent starting next week who has taken her child out of the Nursery and in 3 years has never seen an LJ! Never mind been asked to contribute and yet this Nursery is graded outstanding? I had another child come to me from the Nursery a year ago and I did see the LJ. I was reading it and thought I've read that before and two long Obs done 6 months apart were identical word for word with just a different photo. No evidence that next steps had been followed and most of the pictures were of the child stripped down to a nappy sitting on a large plastic mat surrounded by paint or sitting in a high chair similarly attired messing with food.!! How do these places get Outstanding? My LJs hare fare more informative, show what a child is doing day to day and how they are developing. It makes me so mad.

I have a child starting at a new school Nursery next week. I have been his main carer for 3 years now and I have had no contact at all. It is going to be very interesting to see how they want to work with me because even though he is only with me 3 days a week I will still be caring for him more hours a week than the Nursery will be.

Dilly Daydream
30-08-2013, 09:55 AM
What an interesting read, though I have now scared myself to death for my impending inspection next year. Hope things are ironed out and more consistant by then.

hectors house
30-08-2013, 11:18 AM
That's a really good document Sarah. Its made me very angry reading through it and it has bought back memories of my own inspection. :mad:

My inspector from Prospect did say 'Childminders don't get outstanding' and 'It's easier for nurseries to get outstanding because they have more children with special needs and they have wider networks'

Clearly if you wanted to get outstanding you should have advertised for children with special needs!

Simona
30-08-2013, 11:44 AM
This is taken directly from the #OfstedBigConversation website

''When we get to the meeting these will be my ten opening questions. I hope they help focus on the key issues for us all''. (June O'Sullivan)

1. What do we understand by Ofsted’s dual roles of regulation and improvement? Sir Michael Wilshaw said Ofsted is not an improvement agency but an agent of improvement please can we all agree what this should look like?

2. Can Ofsted please explain and clarify its rationale for so many outdated complaint initiated inspections so we can actually better address the issues? What do we suggest as an alternative?

3.Can Ofsted consider the role of an independent Early Years provider advising on the Quality Assurance process which has been given as the reason for so many downgraded judgments?

4.Can Ofsted ask one of the new Regional leads to attend some of our meetings?

5.Can Ofsted agree a sector advisory group to help shape their thinking and strategy? This is good practice in many other sectors and is considered to add great value?

6.If the new model of inspection is to work, and by and large we like it, then can Ofsted seriously think about how inspectors are trained and supported to allow the whole inspection process to be a “grown up” and mutually respectful process?

7.Can inspectors be allowed to make judgements that are likely to not be changed by an unaccountable Quality Assurance team which draws on evidence that has never been discussed during the inspection?

8.Can we all agree Ofsted role in the identification and management of significant incidents as surely these are managerial judgement?

9. Can we work with Ofsted to reconsider the heavy weighting given to “Leadership and Management” which will lead to a satisfactory or inadequate judgement irrespective of the quality of teaching and learning?

10.Can Ofsted work with the sector to help parents receive a very clear and unambiguous understanding of what Ofsted dos that ensures their children get a really good experience?

rickysmiths
30-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Gosh a lot of questions especially if everyone turns up with as many.

rickysmiths
30-08-2013, 01:43 PM

I would have asked her to leave on the grounds that she had already graded my setting before setting foot in it.

I had a stroppy inspector at my last two inspections. At the last one she had a bee in her bonnet about Daily Diaries. I did not do them for the children in my care at the time as the parents didn't want them. The stupid woman went mad and said I had to do them and what would happen if on of the children was rush into hospital and they needed to know what they had eaten. Well when I had stopped laughing I asked at what age then should I stop doing a DD and she said 'always'. So I said well how do I know what a child I collect from school has eaten because the children I have collected from school have not been reliable at all in what they tell me they have eaten. I informed the silly woman that if it was that much of an emergency that a child was rushed into hospital I doubted that the parents would pick up the child's Red Book never mind the cms DD!! I said that my parents knew that my phone was by me 24/7 and they could ring me in an emergency. Of course as we don't have to do DD she could not put anything in the report about it so it was a waste of time.

I did complain about the inspection and the content of the Report and I had parts of the body of the Report changed ( not factual stuff, though she had made mistakes with that and it had to be changed as well) she had used American terms and I said this would confuse parents reading it so they changed it. It is wrong that it had to be changed though and that I had to fight my corner.