PDA

View Full Version : Collection/Dropping off?

Izzy 88
22-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi,

I recieved my certificate yesterday to begin minding which is a relief in itself however the next hurdle is finding children!!

Although i have been advertising with cards in shops/village notice boards/toddler groups/websites etc etc i have had no interest as of yet until today.

I have had an email through childcare.co.uk asking if i can have a little girl as the mums working part time. Of course i'll be glad of any business the only catch is she lives in the local town (about 7 miles away) and doesnt drive. She would need pickin up. Its only one day a week and she would be my first mindee.

What would your advice be on picking up and dropping off a mindee (obviously for a charge for time and fuel). Is it something that i shouldnt be even thinking about doing or is it acceptable to do this??

blue bear
22-08-2013, 03:03 PM
You can't charge for fuel for collecting a child as that takes you into the realms of taxi and very expensive insurance wise. You need to add the cost Of fuel to the hourly rate so instead of £4 an hour you would quote £4.50 if you see what I mean.
You charge from the time you leave home for collections and for when you get home for drop offs.

Consider how you will manage this arrangement in the bad weather and then when you have other children will it affect the times parents can drop off and collect from your home?

Lots of childminder do pick up and drop offs it a unique service that childminders can offer that a nursery generally couldn't.

emma04
22-08-2013, 03:06 PM
I agree totally with Blue bear!

Izzy 88
22-08-2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks!!

I didnt think of insurance issues with drivin them other than just changing my policy to business use.

Shes yet to get back to me to confirm a meeting but i spose on doing so i would just explain that if i had another child being picked up at say 6 (she wants me to have her 11-6) then i would have to charge till half past as it may not be till then that i could get her back from? does that sounds reasonable? sorry for all teh questions, just wondering whats acceptable.