PDA

View Full Version : Giving notice

sprinkles
20-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately I had to give notice today, to my first mindee (see other threads) while still in settling in period. Anyway, I told dad I would post written notice out to them. Is there anything else I need to do? Do I need to do anything with the contract etc?

lizduncan72
20-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Give them any photos you have then delete them from your camera/phone/computer. You need to keep your contract and and any accident reports you have. Hope you get a new mindee that settles better and fits your setting well. Hugs x

sprinkles
20-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Give them any photos you have then delete them from your camera/phone/computer. You need to keep your contract and and any accident reports you have. Hope you get a new mindee that settles better and fits your setting well. Hugs x

He was only here for a few days so no photos etc. Do I need to put a note in their file saying when they 'left'? And thank you, I have a 2 year old girl settling in tomorrow so hopefully we will have lots of fun - I've planned biscuit making for tomorrow but just see how she is once mum is away. I just hope my experience hasn't tainted things for me - can't wait to start having fun :D

lizduncan72
20-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Do you have an attendance register? I just write 'left setting' after the last date they came. You've just been unlucky that you got such a difficult child as your first one, most of us get them at some point but later on once we're a bit more confident in the job. Don't let this put you off, relax and enjoy your little girl :) x

sprinkles
20-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Yes, will write that on there, thank you! Not sure what to actually write in the notice apart from I am giving notice with immediate effect. Anything else I should add? Do I wish them well etc?

Thank you! Hubby was really worried about me and said I've waited a long time to do this so there's no way I was going to dread it! Feel like a bit of a failure but feel relief more than anything. I spent 5.5 hours out walking with him today as he just wouldn't settle :( to say I'm sore is an understatement lol.

I plan to have lots and lots of fun with her. Can't wait to get the paint/pencils out, do some baking etc. She starts on Monday so if it's nice we're going to go a walk with the dogs to a local country estate as hubby is off due to bank holiday - can't wait x

lizduncan72
20-08-2013, 10:01 PM
I would just keep the notice short,professional and to the point. You could say that you wish them well of you want but that's up to you.
I can totally relate to how you're feeling just now, I had a wee 6 month old boy who screamed non stop constantly, mum carried him all the time, co-slept , the lot and then expected him to settle with me. No way could I do that with two other toddlers and he just cried and cried. I lasted six weeks of two days a week then admitted defeat and gave up. It's hard but you just have to accept that you and your setting will not be right for every child and you have to do what's best for you, no point struggling on and making yourself ill or ending up resenting the child and family. This job can be enjoyable, honest!!! x

hectors house
21-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Sorry your first mindee didn't work out - sounded horrific to say the least, make sure you allow enough settling in sessions with the other one starting tomorrow - even if you do have lots of activities planned (sounds lovely) - 2 year olds still miss their parents, so you may need to adapt your planning and do free play and getting to know the child instead.

Over my 25 years of childminding I have had 2 babies who wouldn't settle - one had never been left with anyone before, (other than dad - who started off as stay at home dad), I used to push double buggy round the streets for hours just to stop her screaming - when I tried to cuddle her she would be trying to turn round and pull at my clothes, one day the mum came to collect, I went to door with screaming baby in my arms, mum snatched her off me and started breast feeding her - NO ONE HAD MENTIONED THAT SHE WAS STILL BEING BREAST FED AT 18 MONTHS TO ME!

The other one was permanently carried round on mums hip - the mum turned up with one of those strap on hip seats for me to use - the mum didn't work but wanted a break from baby as she had ME, I really tried to settle her in but she never improved - 8 years on we still refer to her as C---- the cryer.

Another child who had physical and learning disabilities stressed me out so much I nearly quit childminding, I injured myself carrying him around and had to put stair gates on every door - felt like a prison, couldn't go out in garden as he ate the gravel. I just kept extending the settling in period - his mum was due to go back to uni, in the end I found someone else who had experience of working with SEN children and gave immediate notice. (Although she only managed with him for a couple of months too)

sprinkles
21-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Thanks! It was really hard. I'm in agony today and can hardly walk my feet are that sore :( probably should have had my walking boots on!

I'll see how she is today and may suggest to mum that she come again tomorrow as well as Friday. Think she may have said she can't do tomorrow so may offer to have her for a couple of hours at weekend if possible. But will see how this afternoon goes first :) I will let her free play and then see if she fancies doing anything, if not if can wait until she does.

She's a very cheeky, giggly little girl. She was running round my living room squealing within minutes of being here when mum came for visit. She then started jumping on my sofa, so here's hoping she will feel right at home!

sprinkles
21-08-2013, 06:12 PM
That's more like it! Little one arrived with mum, think she was a bit sleepy as was nearing her usual time for a nap - mum said she often has a nap about 2.30/3 and has to be woken up (looks like I'll have quiet afternoons while I've only got her). I'm hoping she will stay awake until about 2.45 and then can sleep in the buggy when we go to pick up her sister from school.

Mum said she would probably get upset if she said bye so we went off upstairs to see the toys and mum slipped away. She didn't even notice :D she spent 1.5 hours playing constantly until mum returned - she emptied nearly every drawer full of toys but at least she had a good time! She even drew a picture for mum! I can bet she slept on the way home in the car!

:clapping: :clapping:

lizduncan72
21-08-2013, 06:20 PM
So pleased you've had a good day :) x

sprinkles
21-08-2013, 06:24 PM
It was fab, especially as I was worried my previous experience had totally tainted it for me. She's such a happy child, just how I imagined it would be! Now what to do on Friday morning....:D

smurfette
21-08-2013, 06:34 PM
It was fab, especially as I was worried my previous experience had totally tainted it for me. She's such a happy child, just how I imagined it would be! Now what to do on Friday morning....:D

Ah I am delighted for you!!

sprinkles
21-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Ah I am delighted for you!!

Thank you!! I'm so grateful for this forum, and my very supportive hubby!!

Samijanec
25-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a really good settling in period, hope it lasts. :)

sprinkles
25-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Sounds like a really good settling in period, hope it lasts. :)

Hope so! We'll see how tomorrow goes - first full day!! Mum said she cries when she leaves her at play group but she's been fine here so fingers crossed.

Samijanec
25-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Hope so! We'll see how tomorrow goes - first full day!! Mum said she cries when she leaves her at play group but she's been fine here so fingers crossed.

You'll have to come back and let us know how it went. :)

sprinkles
26-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Today went fantastic - free play this morning followed by a trip to the park and a walk. Then home to do some colouring etc. had lunch and she fell asleep at 1.30pm until we got home from school run at 3.30pm so quiet afternoon. Then she just did more colouring/drawing with her sister til mum arrived. :D hubby been off today too so he came walking with us and took the dogs - said this is more like it (no screaming lol).

Samijanec
26-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Today went fantastic - free play this morning followed by a trip to the park and a walk. Then home to do some colouring etc. had lunch and she fell asleep at 1.30pm until we got home from school run at 3.30pm so quiet afternoon. Then she just did more colouring/drawing with her sister til mum arrived. :D hubby been off today too so he came walking with us and took the dogs - said this is more like it (no screaming lol).

That's fantastic, long many it last. :D