PDA

View Full Version : Help with a policy

melco
20-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Hi,

I normally only have the under 5's to look after in the hoidays but this holiday a couple of times I have had my cousins two girls who are aged 9 and 7. The 9 year has a real problem with being told what to do. She came when we had the heat wave and for 30minutes refused to put suncream on and it ruined our morning as we ended up late to where we wanted to be.

She also brought into my setting her MP3 player which she thought was ok to use in my setting. I wasn't happy but realised I did not have a policy in place to stop this. As I have younger children they may bring a comforter into my setting which is fine so not had policy. This girl is talking about getting a mobile and as all of them seem to have cameras on them this my become a safeguarding issue if she brings it with her.

Can anyone share a copy of a policy they have that covers this or help me with wording?

Thanks in advance

melco

shortstuff
20-08-2013, 03:51 PM
how about:

I am happy for children to bring a comforter with them to aid them during the day but am unable to accept responsibility for any other personal belongings from home. I will not take responsibility for any such items getting misplaced, damaged or lost while at my setting. I am sure you are aware I have plenty of provision to keep your child/children occupied during their time here.

Chatterbox Childcare
20-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Why do you need a policy

Just explain what you have said to the parent - no ds no phone etc,,.

As to the sunscreen ask parents to put it on before they come for exactly the reasons you have stated

Don't let a 9 year old dictate to you - she is probably being awkward because she doesn't want to be there

melco
20-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Why do you need a policy

Just explain what you have said to the parent - no ds no phone etc,,.

As to the sunscreen ask parents to put it on before they come for exactly the reasons you have stated

Don't let a 9 year old dictate to you - she is probably being awkward because she doesn't want to be there

I have a policy which says that sun cream should be applied before they arrive and it hadn't been but like the 9yr old the mother does bot like to be told what to do either. Don't know whether they are coming back anyway as the 9yr old is not speaking to me as she did not get her own way!!

charlottenash
20-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Must be very awkward if they are relatives. I would never mix family/friends with business.

Tealady
20-08-2013, 08:22 PM
As to the phone, she has no need for it, so she shouldn't bring it. If there is a problem it is you who will phone parents.

I mind a 9 year old and occasionally an 11 year old. Both have phones and it had never even occured to them to bring them.