PDA

View Full Version : New childminder

shelb87
20-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Hi all, what a lovely bunch!

So... I have a 20 week old baby and I'm due to go back to work in January! I currently work with children. I've always been interested in becoming a childminder for many years and think now would be the perfect time to look into it properly! Would be very interested in speaking to some of you for some advice! Thanks in advance x

Rick
20-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Hi and welcome :waving:

I hope you find this forum helpful!

Have a look at this thread for more details regarding becoming a childminder:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

shortstuff
20-08-2013, 12:49 PM
as MTK said hi and welcome.

We all love chatting so ask away x

charlottenash
20-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Hello,

2 words... Do it.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

X

shelb87
20-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Thank you ladies!

So I have taken the first step, contact my local authority! However they don't seem to know which department I need to speak to in order to get the ball rolling! I'm waiting for a call back after speaking to 5 different departments, hopefully someone can help! X

Bumble Beez
20-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Hello and welcome shelb87...:waving:

Any questions, just ask...we're all here to offer advice if we can :)

Personally it has been the best decision I made, so I would say go for it!

Keep us posted on what you decide :D

Sarah x

kellyskidz!
20-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Hi and welcome
I remember the endless phone call part well when I was just setting up, keep chasing it, you'll get through to someone (hopefully with a brain!) soon
Xxxx

shelb87
20-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Thank you all! I have completed short online application and requested my chosen dates for the 2 part course! So guess I just need to wait now :) my little boy is only 4.5 months so I have a while until I am ready! How long did it take you all to become registered? From start to finish? Do you all have many children? X

blue bear
21-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Hello and welcome, I've been registered 16 years and it was much easier back then so only a few weeks, it's mega busy here at the moment, lots of last minute enquiries for September.

Bumble Beez
21-08-2013, 07:41 AM
From what I remember...it was fairly quick and simple...but that was 9 years ago now! I know its different now and can take about 9 months from what I've heard.
From getting registered I was full within the first year and I have been ever since...still getting enquiries that I'm having to turn away at the moment.
Depends on where you live and what the demand is, but not many minders in my area are struggling for work!

shelb87
21-08-2013, 09:50 AM
That's brilliant for you both :) glad to hear your busy! Wow 9 months, that's a long time! I hope it doesn't take that long for me, was hoping to start in the new year, we shall see!!! X