PDA

View Full Version : What should be done about rising childcare costs?

Simona
19-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Different points of views but a lot on cms...interesting
And the DfE goes on about agencies lowering costs? any proof?
BBC News - Viewpoints: What should be done about rising childcare costs? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23754941)

Another article on cost of bringing up children

BBC News - Families struggling as child costs rise, says CPAG (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23726224)

bunyip
19-08-2013, 03:30 PM
OMG - the sun hat. :eek:

Is that what baby garden gnomes look like? :rolleyes:

karensmart4
19-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Childcare costs of one child over £1,000 per month !!!!!!!! my I didn't realise how well off I was! not in Somerset I'm not!!

Putting children into childcare for long hours from an early age could be detrimental to their development!!!!!

Anand Shukla say's 40 hours per week 52 weeks of the year add up to a lot of money.... it would wouldn't it! but who puts their child into childcare for 40 hrs a week and for 52 weeks a year???

Dr Sean Gabb... well I'm not sure on that one ..

Personally I think in an ideal world Mums or Dads would look after their own children... but its not an ideal world is it so we are there to offer good quality childcare at a reasonable price (we can't do it for nothing) while we jump through hoops, pay lip service to all and sundry and put up with the government chopping and changing things on a never ending basis.

bunyip
19-08-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm not suggesting childcare is not a big expense for parents. But the problem in all these debates is that the figures appear fundamentally flawed.

As suggested people seem to take their weekly bill and multiply by 52 weeks. They also forget to deduct whatever support they are getting in the way of Tax Credits, tax relief through vouchers, etc. etc.

i had this discussion with a couple of mums at toddler group a little while ago. Intelligent people too. But they argued in all seriousness that they shouldn't have to deduct their TC (childcare element) when calculating their actual childcare costs. They seriously believed that the TC bit was "theirs" as if it had nothing to do with the cost of childcare.

Chatterbox Childcare
19-08-2013, 04:43 PM
just put my 5 pennith in on the comments box stating that if the Government did more checks then there would be more money to go around (less fraudulant claims) and it wouldn't cost the Government as much

Chatterbox Childcare
19-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Someone on there has a bee in their bonnet about using a childminder/childcarer so I have made my point and bowed out before it becomes another netmums contest