PDA

View Full Version : Facebook

jackie 7
17-08-2013, 09:14 PM
I am getting concerned about the conversations on Facebook. They are open to anyone. It seems to me that some people forget that we can be easily tracked by name and photo. I am considering blocking it. Just not sure will review it in a few weeks.

Supernanny86
17-08-2013, 09:34 PM
I am getting concerned about the conversations on Facebook. They are open to anyone. It seems to me that some people forget that we can be easily tracked by name and photo. I am considering blocking it. Just not sure will review it in a few weeks.

There was a post about this on the fb group earlier and I thought people sort of shot her down a bit!! I have my boss on fb so tend not to post on groups etc!!

Rick
17-08-2013, 09:35 PM
That is a concern Jackie, which is why we say over and over to only post things which you wouldn't be overly worried about someone else seeing. We delete anything unsuitable, such as photos of children or posts or people.

We do our best to keep the group healthy! If you see something untoward let us know :thumbsup:

Mouse
17-08-2013, 10:53 PM
I think as long as you're careful what YOU write, you have to leave others to post what they want. Some seem oblivious to the fact their posts could be seen by anyone, but it's not up to us to police them. Everyone has to take responsibility for their own words.

I have left a couple of FB groups, not because of what's written about families etc, but because some of the advice is appalling and wrong. I also don't like swearing and that's another reason I'd leave a group. I wouldn't dream of telling people not to swear, I'd just quietly leave the group as it's obviously not the right one for me.

charlottenash
18-08-2013, 06:57 AM
I left because it was awfully judgemental and concerning, not my business to judge them, I'm sure they think they know what their doing but I would never write anything at all about the mindees on there.

Simona
18-08-2013, 07:03 AM
What you say is very worrying ...we are talking about Confidentiality and Data Protection after all

Both must be taken very seriously indeed and any cm on FB should continue to respect those and comply.....very very worrying!

sarah707
18-08-2013, 07:03 AM
I honestly do not understand.

There are over 3000 members on the group and the vast majority are helpful and respectful.

There are hundreds of posts every day and most of them are good, useful posts.

We can't be there monitoring it every minute of the day but we do delete anything that concerns us.

We constantly remind members about safe posting.

We constantly remind members to tag us if they are worried about something.

We have a 'watch' list and we look out for trolls and unsuitable members and delete them if we all agree they are a concern to others.

I think we need your help guys. Don't come to us with a problem - help us find a solution.

What more can we do?

Why are people leaving?

As I said, I really truly don't understand. :(

charlottenash
18-08-2013, 07:06 AM
I don't think it's your problem at all. It's the people who inappropriately post which as you said are few and far between, but when they do post I felt so uncomfortable.

The only thing I can suggest which is unfair and all hell would break loose, is to cap your members to keep a closer eye on it. Like I said, probably not viable and then it wouldn't be a real community.

charlottenash
18-08-2013, 07:07 AM
Also, I think you all do a fantastic job from what I saw when I was on there. I couldn't do it that's for sure!!

AgentTink
18-08-2013, 07:32 AM
i am sorry to say this, but it really upsets me how quickly it can become like a crowd ganging up mentaliity.

For example someone last night had a thread on there about their son seeing the page and not liking some of the comments, the first few threads said thank you for info, and then it went off onto a dig at the op about why her son was even on there in the first place, and I felt really sorry for the op. That was not the point of the post. Then someone came on and started to complain about a swear word which kept appearing, and they were annoyed that they had had a thread removed for the same word a few days earlier and they felt unfair that other posts had not been removed for same reason in this particular thread. The actual person then complained that they felt Sarah was just like a ofsted inspector, one rule for one person and one rule for another with their own rule book.

Bear in mind this must of been at about 10:30 last night. And at this point the thread had about 50 comments on it. I could not believe that the person complaining about the swear word thing, could not understand that the mods cannot be around every second of the day, and given it was that late on a saturday night of course some posts may not have been able to be removed yet. I was so angry when they slated sarah and compared her to Ofsted. Anyone who uses the forum or facebook clearly knows how much work and dedication Sarah puts into childminding and helping her fellow collegues, and their comment was so below the belt.

Just as i was about to report it I saw that another member had tagged Sarah to alert her to the post.

So in the space of a few hours a thread was started, it got unprofessional, and was then removed by Tina. This isnt the first time threads have started on the facebook group and got over 50 comments before they have to be removed due to the way people turn on others.

And it such as a shame because in lot of other respects the majority of posts are helpful and sharing, but once you have seen a few posts like last nights it really does make we weary of using the page.

Simona
18-08-2013, 07:42 AM
i am sorry to say this, but it really upsets me how quickly it can become like a crowd ganging up mentaliity.

For example someone last night had a thread on there about their son seeing the page and not liking some of the comments, the first few threads said thank you for info, and then it went off onto a dig at the op about why her son was even on there in the first place, and I felt really sorry for the op. That was not the point of the post. Then someone came on and started to complain about a swear word which kept appearing, and they were annoyed that they had had a thread removed for the same word a few days earlier and they felt unfair that other posts had not been removed for same reason in this particular thread. The actual person then complained that they felt Sarah was just like a ofsted inspector, one rule for one person and one rule for another with their own rule book.

Bear in mind this must of been at about 10:30 last night. And at this point the thread had about 50 comments on it. I could not believe that the person complaining about the swear word thing, could not understand that the mods cannot be around every second of the day, and given it was that late on a saturday night of course some posts may not have been able to be removed yet. I was so angry when they slated sarah and compared her to Ofsted. Anyone who uses the forum or facebook clearly knows how much work and dedication Sarah puts into childminding and helping her fellow collegues, and their comment was so below the belt.

Just as i was about to report it I saw that another member had tagged Sarah to alert her to the post.

So in the space of a few hours a thread was started, it got unprofessional, and was then removed by Tina. This isnt the first time threads have started on the facebook group and got over 50 comments before they have to be removed due to the way people turn on others.

And it such as a shame because in lot of other respects the majority of posts are helpful and sharing, but once you have seen a few posts like last nights it really does make we weary of using the page.

Sorry to hear about the problems...why oh why do some people feel the need to cause trouble or be unpleasant ?
It does us a great disservice that we can behave in such manner...can you ban the trolls? that's what they are really

Pixie dust
18-08-2013, 08:25 AM

I agree with you, I think people behave differently on facebook and I am sure that some of the people would not talk like that to people in the street that they meet. It feels like a lot of people just want to be negative about things and I am considering leaving the the page too as I feel that I can comment on any discussions as they turn into negative spirals or made to feel your doing a bad job rather than supporting each other which was the aim of the page.

sarah707
18-08-2013, 08:55 AM

I was out with friends for dinner last night so I wasn't on the group although I did see the thread and reply very early on.

I know that Tina deleted it - now I think I know why and I am very thankful that she stepped in without wanting to upset or worry me :(

I spend hours and hours of my time writing free information for childminders. Not for personal profit - nothing to gain - just sharing information freely on my blogs and websites to benefit everyone.

I am wondering why I bother.

Perhaps if members feel like that about me then I should step down :(

Rick
18-08-2013, 08:57 AM
As Sarah says the majority of posts are respectful and helpful. We don't want to over-sensor people but we do step in if it goes too far. FB is a different medium to the forum, it's much more instant way of communicating and differing opinions can sometimes cause it to get a little heated. We welcome differing opinions and experiences but monitor as close as possible conversations that are going too far.

We don't want to lose the group because of the excellent advice and sharing we are getting. If it means having the odd conversation that we ave to step into then so be it.

We need you guys to come and give some good advice and sharing of ideas and help us keep the group the way we all want it.

Thank you :thumbsup:

Rick
18-08-2013, 08:58 AM
I was out with friends for dinner last night so I wasn't on the group although I did see the thread and reply very early on.

I know that Tina deleted it - now I think I know why and I am very thankful that she stepped in without wanting to upset or worry me :(

I spend hours and hours of my time writing free information for childminders. Not for personal profit - nothing to gain - just sharing information freely on my blogs and websites to benefit everyone.

Sarah we appreciate every single thing you do for us and we all support you 100%. If anyone wants to challenge anything you do I will personally step in and support you :thumbsup:

Pixie dust
18-08-2013, 09:01 AM

Perhaps if members feel like that about me then I should step down

Sarah please don't let a few ignorant people who do not appreciate all the hard work you do spoil it for the others. I personally find all the information you share invaluable and it has helped me so much. You never judge people you give excellent advice and support, I send you a big THANK YOU.

Bambini2
18-08-2013, 09:03 AM
As a new member I am very impressed with what you do, don't give up. I have always had reservations about Facebook and have never been on it. This only re-enforces my opinion that it is a thing to be avoided.

sarah707
18-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Thank you Pixie Dust - I very much appreciate your comments but I didn't say it to get lots of people telling me to stay! xxx

The group is there to help and support others. It is the Forum's way of capturing those cms who prefer FB.

It takes hours and hours of admin time to moderate - and support people - and help them - and advise them properly.

The amount of messages I get and answer every day just shows the help people need!! The other night I spend 2 hours just answering private messages on FB!! That's 2 hours freely given to share good practice - because I want everyone to know there is always someone available to help them.

I don't ask for thanks - mostly as Angel and the other mods will tell you we don't get thanks despite all our work. But that's not what we are doing it for.

I said it because I truly don't understand the mentality of people who bite the hand that feeds them :(

Simona
18-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Step down from what Sarah? Stay where you are, defy the bullies and keep going
I am not on FB either but appreciate that others want to use that medium and should do so without the constant worry someone is coming in to spoil it for them

Any support or advice at the moment is truly appreciated....isn't that what childminding is about?

hectors house
18-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Sarah you are amazing - i'm afraid that social media sites where people feel they can critise others are always going to be open to abuse, thats why I'm sticking to the forum it always seems much more friendly and people tend to think more about the words they use in their replies to ensure they can't be misread and cause offense.

You work so hard moderating and replying to posts, campaigning and motivating us to do the same - I don't know how you have time to go out for a meal, hope you had a great time you deserve some time away from "us".

Mouse
18-08-2013, 10:19 AM
I think the mentality of Facebook is very different to that of a forum, which really surprises me.

Most people are pretty anonymous on a forum, having a user name rather than their own name. But most are still careful about what they say. I know if I post on here about a child or family I try to make it as difficult as possible for anyone to identify the child - I change their gender, age, time they've been with me etc, basically anything that isn't relevant to what I'm asking. To identify the child, you'd have to know who I am and know all the children I look after and their families. Even then I post queries about actual families in the green area to make it more secure. As I'm typing, I'm constantly thinking "will anyone know who I'm talking about?"

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does the same.

But when you get on Facebook, you find people talking quite openly, in their own name, in a very insecure environment. A group might be closed, but you really don't know who many of the other members are. And more & more I'm seeing where someone in a group copies a post and forwards it to a parent, another childminder or even Ofsted. I do find that dispicable, but you have to bear in mind that it does happen.

I find it strange that people can be so open on FB without considering the consequences.

Mouse
18-08-2013, 10:36 AM

I saw the beginning of that post, but didn't see it turn personal. I did wonder why it had been removed :(

I did feel sorry for the OP. I wasn't convinced a 13 yr old boy had got upset by posts on a childminding FB group, but I did see the point she was trying to make.

Supernanny86
18-08-2013, 10:38 AM

This was the post I was referring too earlier!! It got a little nasty and don't see why people need to gang up on each other?! :(

Supernanny86
18-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Sarah please don't feel beaten, and you're not going anywhere!! I'm still on fb group but don't get involved and find this forum to be more helpful! I can't praise you enough for what you do. You've allowed me on here although I'm still a nanny but have given endless advice for when I am able to turn to childminding!!

We all appreciate the endless hours you give to us and totally realise you can't see every post before it turns nasty. It's certainly not a job that I could do that's for sure :) :) :)

Simona
18-08-2013, 11:04 AM
I am going to ask a silly question now...does FB not have a code of conduct for those who use it?
also does a FB page or whoever the page belongs have authority to delete anything unpleasant?
those who post inappropriate comments should not be surprised then if they get deleted

bunyip
18-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Sarah, dear heart. Don't go.........................

You bother because you are a wonderful person.

(And gorgeous too. :rolleyes:)

Rick
18-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I am going to ask a silly question now...does FB not have a code of conduct for those who use it?
also does a FB page or whoever the page belongs have authority to delete anything unpleasant?
those who post inappropriate comments should not be surprised then if they get deleted

We have our own extensive rules pinned to the top of the group page which we implore people to read and follow. We say we will give people an explanation as to why posts have been deleted but we are busy people and it's not always possible.

Rick
18-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Sarah, dear heart. Don't go.........................

You bother because you are a wonderful person.

(And gorgeous too. :rolleyes:)

Charmer :D

AgentTink
18-08-2013, 12:09 PM
The problem with these facebook groups is people do not like to be told what they have said is not accepted, Facebook breeds an environment of saying anything you want when you want without having to worry about others. This is demonstrated by a new group that was born a month ago, called Freedom of Speech Childminders. Whose tag line is "Freedom of speech - if you dont like a post, dont comment !".

I was only reading a news article the other day about how research shows that people who use facebook actually start feeling more depressed, even though people claim it brings you closer with friends and family and great to network on. The problem is it creates a gossipy enviroment with everyone judging others, and this is accepted as the norm.

shortstuff
18-08-2013, 12:10 PM

Dont you dare step down Sarah! Most of us rely on your wisdom and your dedication. I fully understand why you might be made to feel like that but remember those words were from one individual and they are very much in the minority!

Samijanec
18-08-2013, 12:23 PM
I love the fb page but I don't post on there, I kinda go in and steal ideas :(

As I'm in Scotland most of the requests for help I can't help with but I do love looking at the photos and getting inspiration and ideas.
I haven't ever seen a nasty post on there, they must all happen when I'm not online.

Please don't even think about quitting Sarah, the group would be lost without you. :) xx

Emra81
18-08-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm not on the facebook group so can't comment on that BUT I had to reply to this thread and say Sarah, I know it's easier said than done but please don't take negative comments from the minority to heart. The work you do is invaluable to soooo many of us and, although you don't do it for the thanks, it's probably fair to say that we don't say it enough. It's also often the case that we hear the negative comments far louder than the positive ones as that's just human nature, especially human's who genuinely want to do their best for others and help in any way they can! At the end of the day, you can't please everyone but I hope no one minds if I speak for the hundreds, if not thousands, of us who think you are incredible at what you do, appreciate the help you give us all immensely and really don't want to think about what the childminding community would be like without you and all the other people who beaver away in the background alongside you on our behalf. Basically, thank you!

Rick
18-08-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm not on the facebook group so can't comment on that BUT I had to reply to this thread and say Sarah, I know it's easier said than done but please don't take negative comments from the minority to heart. The work you do is invaluable to soooo many of us and, although you don't do it for the thanks, it's probably fair to say that we don't say it enough. It's also often the case that we hear the negative comments far louder than the positive ones as that's just human nature, especially human's who genuinely want to do their best for others and help in any way they can! At the end of the day, you can't please everyone but I hope no one minds if I speak for the hundreds, if not thousands, of us who think you are incredible at what you do, appreciate the help you give us all immensely and really don't want to think about what the childminding community would be like without you and all the other people who beaver away in the background alongside you on our behalf. Basically, thank you!

You speak a lot of sense......please come and join our FB group :D

jadavi
18-08-2013, 01:03 PM
I 'liked' both forum pages that come up when I tap in childminders into fb search but I don't get posts,
Which fb group are you talking about? What's its name?

Rick
18-08-2013, 01:11 PM
I 'liked' both forum pages that come up when I tap in childminders into fb search but I don't get posts,
Which fb group are you talking about? What's its name?

Independent Childminders

Allie
18-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I didn't see last nights posts as past my bed time but have to say the forum and Sarah in particular have really helped me with all the changes to eyfs and the support on here is fantastic

PixiePetal
18-08-2013, 01:57 PM
I did see the post but didn't comment as I had nothing constructive to say.

I agree that people need to be aware that FB posts could be seen indirectly by people and we need to be adult about our posts and remember this. We all have different opinions on all sorts of subjects - think before you post. Posting something that may cause offence is quite different from having a different opinion on a toy/best practice.

Like Mouse, on here I even post in green area without letting on too much info - only what is needed. People don't need to know all my business so I keep some to myself!

Sarah and other mods, keep up the good work. You are very much appreciated x

Bridey
18-08-2013, 02:19 PM
I must admit I left the group after only a few days because of the way some of the members were talking about their parents and mindees and because of some of the replies to these threads. I just couldn't have my actual name associated with people who had such little respect for the people they work with and for. I know these people are few and far between but it was just too much for me and I felt uncomfortable. That is just my personal feeling - there are 3,000 happy members on it still I believe!

Rick
18-08-2013, 02:27 PM
I must admit I left the group after only a few days because of the way some of the members were talking about their parents and mindees and because of some of the replies to these threads. I just couldn't have my actual name associated with people who had such little respect for the people they work with and for. I know these people are few and far between but it was just too much for me and I felt uncomfortable. That is just my personal feeling - there are 3,000 happy members on it still I believe!

3178 to be precise :D

That's ok if you prefer not to be on the FB group, you can contribute on the forum which we are all still passionate about :thumbsup:

sarah707
18-08-2013, 02:59 PM

The first few days were a bit dodgy - we set it up - we watched and saw how it was going - we put very strict boundaries in place - we brought more moderators on board - we are very proactive now.

Trouble is there is a fine line between getting it right and over moderating.

We are bashed for removing too may posts - we are bashed for letting things run their course - we are bashed for other people giving wrong advice - we are bashed for responding to member complaints by deleting things - we are bashed for not being there all day!

Why people can't just skim past things they don't like and focus on the positives of the group is beyond me.

We honestly can't win :(

Samijanec
18-08-2013, 03:03 PM
The first few days were a bit dodgy - we set it up - we watched and saw how it was going - we put very strict boundaries in place - we brought more moderators on board - we are very proactive now.

Why people can't just skim past things they don't like and focus on the positives of the group is beyond me.

We honestly can't win :(

This is what I do so maybe that's why I never notice the negative posts?

As for the rest of you post I'm afraid as always it's a case of, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't!!! :(

Rick
18-08-2013, 04:58 PM
With more than 3000 different opinions it's not possible to please everyone. Perhaps we just need to remember that when we get the odd negative comment and not get upset :thumbsup:

Samijanec
18-08-2013, 05:12 PM
With more than 3000 different opinions it's not possible to please everyone. Perhaps we just need to remember that when we get the odd negative comment and not get upset :thumbsup:

I agree, everyone sees written text differently, what can be funny and light hearted to one can seem cold and callous to another, it's a really difficult medium if communication...

MessybutHappy
18-08-2013, 08:20 PM

I agree that this is true, but I do feel for Sarah 707 in that it seems she was named personally. I'm glad that prompt action was taken to stop the thread, and glad too at the number of members on here who have spoken out in her defence, I'd like to add my name to that list, I'd defend Sarah and all the mods, what they do is a key element of what makes this forum worth being a part of! Cheers to you all and long may we continue to chat, debate, have opinions and argue. Now, when's the next party? :-D

Rick
18-08-2013, 08:30 PM
I agree that this is true, but I do feel for Sarah 707 in that it seems she was named personally. I'm glad that prompt action was taken to stop the thread, and glad too at the number of members on here who have spoken out in her defence, I'd like to add my name to that list, I'd defend Sarah and all the mods, what they do is a key element of what makes this forum worth being a part of! Cheers to you all and long may we continue to chat, debate, have opinions and argue. Now, when's the next party? :-D

It was ridiculous. Probably just an ignorant person who doesn't appreciate our Sarah the way way we do! We don't let it affect us though. Let's continue to chat, debate and share good practice! Oh and that sounds like an invitation.....everyone round Messy's house...there's just the 25,000 of us ;)

FussyElmo
18-08-2013, 08:31 PM

Party did I hear the word party.

I echo what everyone else is saying fb is a wonderful medium used correctly. However there is a small majority which forget its a fish bowl which everyone can see in it.

People think its safe and post anything im not saying our page is brilliant and we do get posts which get out of hand and we miss them. But compared to some pages - I cringe when I see the posts.

The forum is the best place to come for advice for its community. I betting sarah has had lots of support from you guys today. Though bunyip we need to have words again about calling another moderator gorgeous. We are trying very hard to get the same sort of atmosphere on the fb page :-D

Lastly everyone if you do see a post which makes you cringe tag or message admin their names are at the top of the member list. Like you would press the report button on here.

supermumy
18-08-2013, 09:22 PM
I have been on the fb page over weekend as been busy so didn't see it but I'm a regular and post and comment and Sarah you are NOT going anywhere and that's And that's an order
You have been and still are as well as many other on here and the fb group such a help and the positive sharing of Info and sharing paperwork has been a Hugh Hugh life saver for me and many others
Please everyone keep up the good work and don't let this silly things ruin it for us :) x

MessybutHappy
18-08-2013, 09:29 PM
It was ridiculous. Probably just an ignorant person who doesn't appreciate our Sarah the way way we do! We don't let it affect us though. Let's continue to chat, debate and share good practice! Oh and that sounds like an invitation.....everyone round Messy's house...there's just the 25,000 of us ;)

Oops, did I miss "online" in my post?! Sorry folks, but I'm in holiday and living up to my name!!! Not having parents in each morning means I can slob out with no guilt! I'm very happy but my house is very very messy and defo not partyable in!!!

MessybutHappy
18-08-2013, 09:34 PM
MTK007's drive however looks very spacious & uncluttered....room for a bbq, stage for the dancers...and with a youngster I'm sure he'd be pleased not too have to travel?!!!!
:-D

barbarella68
18-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I came off as I felt patronised and bullied,I have come off a few pages about Childminding as it turns out the same every time.:(

scottishlass
18-08-2013, 11:05 PM
I didn't know about the fb group - liked the childninding page but never thought to search for a group - will have a wee look! Xx

Rick
19-08-2013, 06:43 AM
I came off as I felt patronised and bullied,I have come off a few pages about Childminding as it turns out the same every time.:(

I'm sorry to hear that. There is so much good info and sharing though that might be worth putting up with the occasional opinionated post. We can't over-sensor people but we do step in if it goes too far. We have helped so many people on our FB group, people who give out wrong information that they believe to be correct (mainly ratios connected!) and we put right.

But of course if FB isn't for you, then please carry on using the forum. We are still committed to keeping the forum the way you want it :thumbsup:

Simona
19-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Personally I feel it is unpleasant and I am disgusted that some people can go on a medium and bully others for no reason whatsoever other than cause trouble and cause them to feel threatened/bullied/patronised

I hope you have the means to ban them...or are they devious enough to come back under a different name?
I am so pleased I am not on FB...I have seen and heard enough

Rick
19-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Personally I feel it is unpleasant and I am disgusted that some people can go on a medium and bully others for no reason whatsoever other than cause trouble and cause them to feel threatened/bullied/patronised

I hope you have the means to ban them...or are they devious enough to come back under a different name?

Yes we can ban people (and have done so) and obviously we don't tolerate threatening or demeaning behaviour. If someone kept coming back with a different name they would need a lot of accounts. We go through every request to join in detail, checking what groups they are in, have they got any friends (have they just made up an account) etc.

You do a lot of good work for the forum so please carry on doing that, we respect your decision not to be on the FB group.

Mouse
19-08-2013, 07:41 AM

I love Facebook, but agree that it's not for everyone.

As in every walk of life there are people who think they know better than everyone else & like to let the world know! The knack is to ignore them & concentrate on the people who you do want to hear from.

I have several real life friends blocked. Not completely, just their constant status updates, always moaning about something or other. Rather than get upset or annoyed about it, I change my account settings so I don't have to read them all!

There is a lot of good on Facebook - you just have to learn to ignore what you don't like & not take it too seriously!

Rick
19-08-2013, 07:43 AM
I love Facebook, but agree that it's not for everyone.

As in every walk of life there are people who think they know better than everyone else & like to let the world know! The knack is to ignore them & concentrate on the people who you do want to hear from.

I have several real life friends blocked. Not completely, just their constant status updates, always moaning about something or other. Rather than get upset or annoyed about it, I change my account settings so I don't have to read them all!

There is a lot of good on Facebook - you just have to learn to ignore what you don't like & not take it too seriously!

That's a better answer than mine :laughing:

supermumy
19-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Agree with above

jackie 7
19-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Oh Sarah I don't want you to leave. Sorry I started this I will keep on it but as others have said here is more private. When I think about it fb is often a place where people often post things that they could regret later. I can often go for days without fb but it is difficult to not be on here way too often.

Smileyface
19-08-2013, 05:00 PM
I love this forum and am so grateful because I promise you I wouldn't be where I am today without all your hard work!
X

Pixie dust
06-09-2013, 09:04 PM
I have just left the fb group tonight after the latest discussions turned quite nasty and pointless to be honest. It is a shame after all the hard work by the admins but to be honest I don't want to be associated with a group that is supposed to being supporting each other but instead of turning on each other :(

CLL
06-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Fb is going crazy tonight. I don't go on much but some posts pop up on my feed and the latest one is just mental. Honestly if I run the group I would shut it down now! Full of drunk, ungrateful, bitchy women with nothing better to do on a Friday night but cause trouble. I feel for you admin!

Simona
06-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Sorry to but in...but what is the reason for posting this thread other than show that on FB some very unpleasant things/discussions happen?
They clearly show a side that is best ignored but causes a lot of heartache

Does it help cms in the fight we have on our hands which should be based on professionalism and not petty interactions or people casing trouble for whatever reasons?

As I am not on FB I find the posts very unsettling especially when we cannot follow the discussions
FB is not the only medium we can communicate on and base our professional conduct...this will be unpopular but it is my personal view

sarah707
06-09-2013, 09:30 PM
I have just left the fb group tonight after the latest discussions turned quite nasty and pointless to be honest. It is a shame after all the hard work by the admins but to be honest I don't want to be associated with a group that is supposed to being supporting each other but instead of turning on each other :(

I am so sorry you have left the group Pixie Dust. Personally I chose not to read the posts.

There are over 3600 members on the group and a very few decided to attack admin. The majority were supportive of the work we do trying to support, encourage and help them.

I hope you are ok x

sarah707
06-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Fb is going crazy tonight. I don't go on much but some posts pop up on my feed and the latest one is just mental. Honestly if I run the group I would shut it down now! Full of drunk, ungrateful, bitchy women with nothing better to do on a Friday night but cause trouble. I feel for you admin!

Thank you for your support x

Mouse
06-09-2013, 09:38 PM

It's a shame you left Pixie Dust.

I really don't want to carry anything on here, but I do think the arguments were exacerbated by members of other groups deliberately trying to stir things up :(

scottishlass
06-09-2013, 09:38 PM
All a bit crazy - if these people are so unhappy why don't they just leave the group! Some people just like a moan and I am sure secretly they wish they were admin! X

CLL
06-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Thank you for your support x

No problem Sarah! You all do an amazing job and I think some people should be more appreciative. This forum is what got me my Outstanding grade on my first inspection. :)

WibbleWobble
06-09-2013, 10:00 PM
I just sat and watched... And provided popcorn for those watching

Wibble x

Mouse
06-09-2013, 10:35 PM

Wibble x

Sadly the thread had gone before I got any :(

If youve got any left it's sweet and salty for me please :D

Memina
06-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm a little sad about the post on fb. There really is no need for any of the comments and disrespect.

It does feel like a playground bully tactics.

I usually skip through posts I'm not interested in so why cant everyone else?

SammySplodger
06-09-2013, 11:09 PM
That now deleted thread made me very sad on a number of levels. I can see many 'sides' to the 'hoo-hah'.

I have huge respect for the admins, appreciate all their hard work and lovely generous Sarah, but sadly I cannot see this 'issue' going away :-(

I get my info from a variety of sources and participate in lots of FB and other fora. In my experience it's the only way to have a completely rounded view of how the land lies. Unfortunately this method means you also have to pick your way through a very complicated 'web'. Several months on I am understanding how to negotiate it better. But, as a newbie, it's very confusing to find that not everything is as it seems and logically should be.

Rick
07-09-2013, 05:34 AM

Wibble x

Your help was invaluable :laughing::doh:

Simona
07-09-2013, 05:35 AM
I am utterly appalled at what I am reading....
I am not on FB but feel like joining just to read for myself what seems to be incredible bullyish behaviour and challenge it! ...these people do not even sound like members but pure trouble makers.....of course without reading the posts it is difficult to judge but I get an idea.
Do we know them, do we know why they do it?...it has to be stopped and no way admin should be under attack.

I wonder what this type of behaviour does for the reputation of cms who belong to this Forum? if you think about it the FB page reflects this Forum

Should the Forum keep the FB page open when it is becoming very unpleasant and worrying to read about what is going on there on our behalf?
Do we really need a FB page when there are other mediums that could be used to keep cms informed?
what is FB achieving that cannot be achieved in this Forum?

Can admin or Richard please sort it out ...once and for all?

I joined LinkedIn recently and I find that medium to be very professional and respectful...
I doubt any of the members there would tolerate such behaviour but....above all I wonder if any of these bullies would behave in the same manner as they do on FB?...I doubt it

This makes for very sad and worrying reading...and it does nothing for our reputation or professionalism

Mouse
07-09-2013, 06:38 AM
It's not just the FB group Simona. The same arguments happen on this forum as well from time to time. For the majority of the time the group runs smoothly, but every now and again someone will post something that they know will be deleted. Then there's a call to arms, telling everyone to get over to the group and start posting on the thread.

There are many childminding groups on FB and you have to chose the one that suits you at that particular time. If you want to post about petitions, there are groups for that. If you want to post about online systems, there are groups specifically for that. The majority of people know that they're not to be discussed on the forum group, but still do it. Some genuinely do it as they aren't aware of the rules, but other definitely do it to cause trouble.

The group is one of the most heavily censored groups I belong to, but I have no issue with that. In my view, it's the only way to keep it professional, informative and to the point. There are other groups for chit chat, moaning about parents, or discussing petitions and online systems. I think admin do a great job at keeping the group trouble free, but there is no way any group or forum can stop it completely.

supermumy
07-09-2013, 07:24 AM
It's a shame you left Pixie Dust.

I really don't want to carry anything on here, but I do think the arguments were exacerbated by members of other groups deliberately trying to stir things up :(

Totally agree a lot seemed to be and mention other groups
Seems like they was stirring things up

Sarah and everyone else you do a fab job on behalf of us :)

Pixie dust
07-09-2013, 07:26 AM
I am so sorry you have left the group Pixie Dust. Personally I chose not to read the posts.

There are over 3600 members on the group and a very few decided to attack admin. The majority were supportive of the work we do trying to support, encourage and help them.

I hope you are ok x

Thanks I am fine thanks, I just decided enough was enough. I think people respect each other and their opinions a lot more on here. The admins do such a good job and I feel in one respect I have jumped ship.

SammySplodger
07-09-2013, 08:42 AM
It's not just the FB group Simona. The same arguments happen on this forum as well from time to time. For the majority of the time the group runs smoothly, but every now and again someone will post something that they know will be deleted. Then there's a call to arms, telling everyone to get over to the group and start posting on the thread.

There are many childminding groups on FB and you have to chose the one that suits you at that particular time. If you want to post about petitions, there are groups for that. If you want to post about online systems, there are groups specifically for that. The majority of people know that they're not to be discussed on the forum group, but still do it. Some genuinely do it as they aren't aware of the rules, but other definitely do it to cause trouble.

The group is one of the most heavily censored groups I belong to, but I have no issue with that. In my view, it's the only way to keep it professional, informative and to the point. There are other groups for chit chat, moaning about parents, or discussing petitions and online systems. I think admin do a great job at keeping the group trouble free, but there is no way any group or forum can stop it completely.

Completely agree with this BUT:

People who have been on here for a long time all know the 'unsaid rules' about starring out. If you don't know the history or background it is very confusing and frustrating to be censored in this way. What you saw last night was NOT trolling (I was online the whole time watching). It was frustration that they felt freedom of speech and right to a valid discussion were compromised. I can see both sides. I am very worried - IT WILL NOT GO AWAY! :-(

shortstuff
07-09-2013, 08:46 AM
I left the group also. I didnt like the way it was going x I do miss some of the ideas but I didnt need the negativity that was there.

I just felt that I would be gutted if a parent saw some of the conversations on there and wondered whether I was involved x

Mouse
07-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Completely agree with this BUT:

People who have been on here for a long time all know the 'unsaid rules' about starring out. If you don't know the history or background it is very confusing and frustrating to be censored in this way. What you saw last night was NOT trolling (I was online the whole time watching). It was frustration that they felt freedom of speech and right to a valid discussion were compromised. I can see both sides. I am very worried - IT WILL NOT GO AWAY! :-(

Did you see the posts on another group inciting people to head over to the IC group to stir things up? Their post is still going on about it this morning.

I agree it will not go away until some people grow up & let things drop. They seem to be getting themselves so frustrated by a group that doesn't offer them what they want, when they all say they are more than happy to post in an alternative group that does allow full freedom of speech. Why would they want to be a member of a heavily censored group if they have a perfectly good alternative that suits their needs better?

I also agree that it must be confusing for new members who don't understand the ins & outs, but if admin had to spend less time sorting out childish squabbles, they'd have more time to explain the rules to the new members.

madmamma
07-09-2013, 09:02 AM
For the majority of the time the group runs smoothly, but every now and again someone will post something that they know will be deleted. Then there's a call to arms, telling everyone to get over to the group and start posting on the thread.

It is this aspect that concerns me the most :panic:
I was (blissfully) unaware of the shenanigans of last night, until I saw a post on my newsfeed 'calling to arms'

As a CM that is looking for advice, business support, legislation information, and discussions regarding my business and how to make it better, I do not appreciate being 'dragged into' the disputes or being 'tarred with a brush' by virtue of the fact that I am a member of particular forums, or several FB groups.

SammySplodger
07-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Did you see the posts on another group inciting people to head over to the IC group to stir things up? Their post is still going on about it this morning.

I agree it will not go away until some people grow up & let things drop. They seem to be getting themselves so frustrated by a group that doesn't offer them what they want, when they all say they are more than happy to post in an alternative group that does allow full freedom of speech. Why would they want to be a member of a heavily censored group if they have a perfectly good alternative that suits their needs better?

I also agree that it must be confusing for new members who don't understand the ins & outs, but if admin had to spend less time sorting out childish squabbles, they'd have more time to explain the rules to the new members.

Not sure if it's one group or the other?!

Thing is, if you belong to several (I do) then if you felt upset about being kicked off FB without a valid reason (because you genuinely don't get why B D can't be mentioned) then you would mention it in another group - for support. Unfortunately there are a number of people who have been banned lately and so that's not really helping is it? I can honestly see both sides of this sad situation.

And I'm genuinely worried that I might now get banned myself for speaking up. But I am trying to explain WHY last night happened. It's not just 'bad people' it's frustration!
:-( :-( :-(

SammySplodger
07-09-2013, 09:13 AM
It is this aspect that concerns me the most :panic:
I was (blissfully) unaware of the shenanigans of last night, until I saw a post on my newsfeed 'calling to arms'

As a CM that is looking for advice, business support, legislation information, and discussions regarding my business and how to make it better, I do not appreciate being 'dragged into' the disputes or being 'tarred with a brush' by virtue of the fact that I am a member of particular forums, or several FB groups.

Yup - totally with you there.
Could not believe my eyes.

Mouse
07-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Not sure if it's one group or the other?!

Thing is, if you belong to several (I do) then if you felt upset about being kicked off FB without a valid reason (because you genuinely don't get why B D can't be mentioned) then you would mention it in another group - for support. Unfortunately there are a number of people who have been banned lately and so that's not really helping is it? I can honestly see both sides of this sad situation.

And I'm genuinely worried that I might now get banned myself for speaking up. But I am trying to explain WHY last night happened. It's not just 'bad people' it's frustration!
:-( :-( :-(

"Genuine". That is the key word. I think you will find that many of the people banned DO know why it can't be mentioned. Simply that fact that it's a rule of the group should be enough. It seems to me that many are out with the intention of getting banned so they can then go & give the "poor me" speech on another group.

SammySplodger
07-09-2013, 10:26 AM
"Genuine". That is the key word. I think you will find that many of the people banned DO know why it can't be mentioned. Simply that fact that it's a rule of the group should be enough. It seems to me that many are out with the intention of getting banned so they can then go & give the "poor me" speech on another group.

I think that it would be helpful to review the rules and be more specific. It's a grey area ATM. If you can't mention B D and others, then it should say so.

I have only been on here and the other groups for about a year. I am alarmed by the amount of time wasted on squabbling over these issues. It does nothing to help our cause - things are bad enough with bigger government issues. I do worry about how it looks from 'outside'. As a relative newcomer I'm appalled.

FussyElmo
07-09-2013, 10:33 AM
I think that it would be helpful to review the rules and be more specific. It's a grey area ATM. If you can't mention B D and others, then it should say so.

I have only been on here and the other groups for about a year. I am alarmed by the amount of time wasted on squabbling over these issues. It does nothing to help our cause - things are bad enough with bigger government issues. I do worry about how it looks from 'outside'. As a relative newcomer I'm appalled.

How do we be more specific - its impossible to list everything, company outside agency, internet organisation that we don't want links to. In fact near on impossible so it says none without prior permission.

SammySplodger
07-09-2013, 10:40 AM
How do we be more specific - its impossible to list everything, company outside agency, internet organisation that we don't want links to. In fact near on impossible so it says none without prior permission.

I think the trouble is that some companies, which seem 'the same' eg: IKEA or Argos are mentioned / posted and NOT deleted, yet BD is deleted. So people are suspicious and keep questioning the rules.

FussyElmo
07-09-2013, 10:48 AM
I think the trouble is that some companies, which seem 'the same' eg: IKEA or Argos are mentioned / posted and NOT deleted, yet BD is deleted. So people are suspicious and keep questioning the rules.

You don't have to pay a monthly fee for ikea/argos just the item that you want.

Like we have said before Sarah707 probably has an ebook for sale on most of the questions which are asked but at no time does she promote her work on there - imagine the uproar if she did.

Richard
07-09-2013, 10:51 AM
We have had issues with one particular company who have set out to use the group as a free marketing channel. They incentivise some of their customers to post "This site is wonderful" type posts in an effort to gain free advertising when the posts aren't really genuine users. Even after warnings this continued which resulted in some members being removed and a decision was then made not to allow any mention of this particular company because of the historic abuse of the group by certain individuals very closed linked to them.

As I have said on the group, no one is forced to me a member and if anyone is unhappy with the rules then they are free to leave. There are a wide range of different groups and users have a choice of which ones they belong to.

We aim to provide a friendly, happy environment which is free from abuse and argumentative behaviour and some members have been removed because they chose to repeatedly break the rules and criticise members of the admin team who give up an awful lot of their spare time to run the group for the good of the members.

SammySplodger
07-09-2013, 10:58 AM

I really hate to say this - but the answer appears to be stricter application of the rules. You can't have SOME companies plugged (for completely valid and very helpful reasons) and not others (for quite specific reasons only known by the owner/s of the group and various others because they know the history of this forum). But the trouble is, if you lock down too much you cannot have a meaningful discussion. Where do you stop?

Please bear the following in mind:
I love this forum and the IC FB, I use both a lot, value them and fully appreciate all the hard work admin put in. But I feel it necessary to use various other fora precisely because I cannot see 'the full picture' and freely ask certain questions. I wanted to know about B D, so I had to ask elsewhere and (for the record) cane to the conclusion it wasn't for me.

SammySplodger
07-09-2013, 11:06 AM
We have had issues with one particular company who have set out to use the group as a free marketing channel. They incentivise some of their customers to post "This site is wonderful" type posts in an effort to gain free advertising when the posts aren't really genuine users. Even after warnings this continued which resulted in some members being removed and a decision was then made not to allow any mention of this particular company because of the historic abuse of the group by certain individuals very closed linked to them.

As I have said on the group, no one is forced to me a member and if anyone is unhappy with the rules then they are free to leave. There are a wide range of different groups and users have a choice of which ones they belong to.

We aim to provide a friendly, happy environment which is free from abuse and argumentative behaviour and some members have been removed because they chose to repeatedly break the rules and criticise members of the admin team who give up an awful lot of their spare time to run the group for the good of the members.

Hello Richard

Cross posted the above :-)

No doubt there are discussions going on behind the scenes about last nights debacle. It was unpleasant reading and I am feeling very uncomfortable sitting on the fence as usual. I am trying to help - my perspective is (relatively) new.

I don't want to leave either group and have therefore chosen to stick with the 'rules' - just trying to she'd some light on why/how that thread happened last night. My concern is that it will just keep going on :-(

SammySplodger
07-09-2013, 11:12 AM
You don't have to pay a monthly fee for ikea/argos just the item that you want.

Like we have said before Sarah707 probably has an ebook for sale on most of the questions which are asked but at no time does she promote her work on there - imagine the uproar if she did.

Sarah doesn't have to - I do it all the time! And, no - she doesn't pay me LOL

scottishlass
07-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Crazy that already some people are starting to moan at getting 5k for a party! Some people are never happy! Oh some childminders really struggle! Eh ok give it all to them then! X

SammySplodger
07-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Crazy that already some people are starting to moan at getting 5k for a party! Some people are never happy! Oh some childminders really struggle! Eh ok give it all to them then! X

Yes - says it all I think :-(

WibbleWobble
07-09-2013, 02:27 PM

i bet you wished you hadnt taken us all on eh? i can imagine its like having 1000s of wives(or husbands) or teenage daughters (or sons). You cant please everyone all the time and you feel stuck like piggy in the middle. Well i will sit next to you and give out the popcorn

wibble x

Kiddleywinks
07-09-2013, 02:34 PM
As the saying goes - you can only please some people some of the time :rolleyes:

VeggieSausage
07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
I have left some other facebook childminding groups due to terrible things people say and the main one I am now a member of is the Independent Childminders one which I like, I like the advice, great tips from everyone including the amazing Sarah707 and everyone's photos, sharing documents etc.....but the forum is my favourite place to hang out :)

PS WibbleWobble if you are doing popcorn please could I have a glass of vino with it please? x thanks mwah

Simona
08-09-2013, 08:48 AM
I have left some other facebook childminding groups due to terrible things people say and the main one I am now a member of is the Independent Childminders one which I like, I like the advice, great tips from everyone including the amazing Sarah707 and everyone's photos, sharing documents etc.....but the forum is my favourite place to hang out :)

PS WibbleWobble if you are doing popcorn please could I have a glass of vino with it please? x thanks mwah

For those on FB and taking part in this discussion it may be very difficult to understand what is coming through as the main message to those who are not on FB?
we have gone from advertising, to talking about single groups, leaving this group and not the other, selling goods or otherwise, going somewhere else, money, trolls, trouble makers, those we can mention and those we cannot, people with grudges, aggressive and abusive people, rules and updating them etc etc?

I should say we need an urgent review of the rules...this is totally unacceptable and very off putting.

I did worry when the forum FB page was first launched whether it would take cms away rather than discuss our future openly in this forum...
we were reassured it would not happen...
it has happened as FB has an attraction that cannot be compared to an open forum....it also has the downfall of being nasty
Many organisations refuse to be on FB simply because of the very problems highlighted here...

what has been very clear is the pettiness and I wonder how this can help 'Independent childminders' who wish to be represented by the Forum FB page?

Veggiesausage.....you say you like the IC FB page for the advice given there...is that missing in this forum?
and I wonder if we have lost the moderators to FB now because they cannot keep up with FB and the forum at the same time?
I would guess it would be totally impossible to be everywhere and FB needs to be policed at all times? and giving the time for free??

So the forum cms are the losers? yes ....in my view!

FussyElmo
08-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Veggiesausage.....you say you like the IC FB page for the advice given there...is that missing in this forum?
and I wonder if we have lost the moderators to FB now because they cannot keep up with FB and the forum at the same time?
I would guess it would be totally impossible to be everywhere and FB needs to be policed at all times? and giving the time for free??

So the forum cms are the losers? yes ....in my view!

Simona please at no point do any of the moderators spend more time on the fb than the forum. In fact some of the moderators from here are not admin over there.

At no point do the forum cms ever lose out.

But we also have to accept the fact there are cms out there who do not use the forum and prefer fb. We are reaching out to all cms :thumbsup:

Mouse
08-09-2013, 11:42 AM
I think people who don't use Facebook don't really understand it. It probably isn't anywhere near as evil as they imagine! I bet for every 100 posts on the forum group, 98 are positive and only 2 are negative. As with many walks of life, it's only the negative that tends to be reported. You often hear bad things about FB, but how often do you hear about all the wonderful things it does? No one is going to come on here and say "the forum FB group was fab today. I'm definitely stopping there", but you do get the posts saying "I'm leaving the forum FB group because one thread got out of hand".

I use facebook a lot...and I use the forum a lot. I use the forum more for posting as I like to maintain my anonymity, but I do enjoy reading the the FB group. There are lots of childminders who are on the FB group, but not on the forum. I certainly don't think the FB group is taking over from the forum. It's a growing, fast moving group, but nowhere near as big as the forum. It's not an alternative, just an addition for those who want to use it. People who only use the forum aren't missing out on anything major as the most important posts tend to be here as well.

Simona
08-09-2013, 02:34 PM
I think people who don't use Facebook don't really understand it. It probably isn't anywhere near as evil as they imagine! I bet for every 100 posts on the forum group, 98 are positive and only 2 are negative. As with many walks of life, it's only the negative that tends to be reported. You often hear bad things about FB, but how often do you hear about all the wonderful things it does? No one is going to come on here and say "the forum FB group was fab today. I'm definitely stopping there", but you do get the posts saying "I'm leaving the forum FB group because one thread got out of hand".

I use facebook a lot...and I use the forum a lot. I use the forum more for posting as I like to maintain my anonymity, but I do enjoy reading the the FB group. There are lots of childminders who are on the FB group, but not on the forum. I certainly don't think the FB group is taking over from the forum. It's a growing, fast moving group, but nowhere near as big as the forum. It's not an alternative, just an addition for those who want to use it. People who only use the forum aren't missing out on anything major as the most important posts tend to be here as well.

I agree Mouse...those like me not on FB do not know the rules...I put my hand up!
but are we actually talking about 2 negative posts against 98 positive?
I fear not and we can only judge from the experiences of those who have posted here and seem very upset that something unpleasant is going on.

I get the feelings we are getting told this happens everywhere so we should put up with it?

A difference in opinion is, of course, to be welcome and allows for freedom of speech and lively debates...our MPs being the very role models we have in the House of Commons but look at the Speaker who stands up and stops the nonsense and demands an apology from those who upset others.

Maybe it would have been better not to have posted the thread, which many have read with shock and disbelief

I truly believe the Forum has to listen to both sides and balance the argument...this is 'constructive criticism' coming their way and one to be reflected on!

VeggieSausage
08-09-2013, 06:38 PM
When I said I like the information offered on the IC FB page I did not mean that I do not think the forum gives good advice at all or intend for it to be taken that the mods are spending too much time on the FB page taking them away form the forum - just so everyone knows :o:):thumbsup: So just for the record I love the FB page and I LOVE the forum :clapping:

SammySplodger
09-09-2013, 02:19 PM
When I said I like the information offered on the IC FB page I did not mean that I do not think the forum gives good advice at all or intend for it to be taken that the mods are spending too much time on the FB page taking them away form the forum - just so everyone knows :o:):thumbsup: So just for the record I love the FB page and I LOVE the forum :clapping:

YUP - me too, use both and still enjoy both, belong to many FB CM groups - good, bad and ugly (sometimes). IC FB is the most 'censored' of all, which can be very frustrating at times (if you don't understand the background) but generally the advice given is more reliable. Much crossover between here and IC FB - so you aren't missing vital info - it 's just presented in a different format.

pinky33
10-09-2013, 07:44 AM
I'm not really sure what facebook group your talking about!
But I run my own ace book groups (nothing to do with childcare), one of the pages have a few thousand members and my best advice is just block people that irritate you then you can't see what they say. If a post irritates you then report it and it goes away.

hectors house
10-09-2013, 08:05 AM
I don't know how facebook page works but sometimes wonder on here if we should have a "Don't like" option like we do the "like" - not for when you don't necessarily agree with the post as everyone has their own opinions but to use when you feel the other person is being rude or disrespectful - this may then be easier to let the other person know that you don't like their tone or words rather than write for eg: "I find your answer insulting etc etc" which then leads to another response and it gets more and more heated. Maybe then the moderators could see straight away without reading all the posts what has offended or upset someone - I know there is probably a "report" option but this way the members would be moderating themselves to some extent.

SammySplodger
10-09-2013, 11:26 AM
I don't know how facebook page works but sometimes wonder on here if we should have a "Don't like" option like we do the "like" - not for when you don't necessarily agree with the post as everyone has their own opinions but to use when you feel the other person is being rude or disrespectful - this may then be easier to let the other person know that you don't like their tone or words rather than write for eg: "I find your answer insulting etc etc" which then leads to another response and it gets more and more heated. Maybe then the moderators could see straight away without reading all the posts what has offended or upset someone - I know there is probably a "report" option but this way the members would be moderating themselves to some extent.

I love this idea - wish you could do it on FB!