PDA

View Full Version : New childminder needing help!

Kerri1983
15-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Hi there
I started childminding at the end of July for a 1 year old little girl.
I have started to make observations (taking pictures/ writing obs) but I am not sure when to do summative assessments and next steps for her? I have been given her folder from her previous nursery and her last assessment and progress tracker was completed in May when should I do it again? and does anyone know the best template to use for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kerri

moggy
15-08-2013, 07:08 PM
I'd first make a 'Starting Points' assessment, you could do that now. Without that you can not show 'progress' over time. Do a short summery per area, and mark where in the age bands she is per aspect. Add a few 'next steps'. Involve parents in this, get their input, share your findings, get them to sign it.

Then, you could choose to do progress reviews every 6 months, every term or whatever you want. I do termly. Again, a short summary per area, next steps and mark progress in age bands, with parent's input and parents signing.

Oh, and there is no 'best' template, just whatever suits you. I am sure there'll be some in the free resources at the top of this page.

sarah707
16-08-2013, 12:32 PM
It is not a requirement to do any summaries apart from the 2 year progress check - I find it useful to them 6 monthly so I can keep an eye on the child's progress and make sure I am not missing anything :D

Kerri1983
17-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks to you both for your replies.. you have been very helpful :)