PDA

View Full Version : Going through registration process

keely81
13-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Well there is a lot to do isn't there ! I have all the forms sent away ,apart form my health form which my gp is taking forever over ,waited 2 weeks already and still not got it back.

Ist question _ I was wondering how long the environmental health process takes please ? I only sent my form yesterday but have printed off the pack called safer food better business for childminders and worked trough it. Dragged all cupboards out for a use by date throw out and bleached clean. Also ordered online some fridge /freezer thermometers and food thermometer.I just have no idea about the process ,will they ring to arrange a visit ? any help or your experiences there would be great please . Dreading they may turn up un-announced .

2nd , My patio door is upvc and has a safety mark on it ,will I get away with not having to use safety film on them ? I'm thinking not but want to be sure . Also the room the patio doors are in is not a room used in childminding anyway ,but children will walk through the room to access the garden, with me there with them of course . I am using it on the shed window as that has no mark and is a low window too.

3rd , I didn't have to do the cypop training as my LA have informed ofsted my level 3 diploma in nursery nursing is adequate enough for them ,a real bonus and money saver but will that help shorten the application process time do you think ? I'm so keen to get started :)

Thanks for reading.

sarah707
13-08-2013, 06:02 PM
1. They don't always visit - it depends where you are - but it won't hold your application up so don't worry about it!

2. Anything with a kite mark should be fine. You can ask Ofsted during your pre-reg if you are unsure.

3. I understood that you had to do the same course as everyone else - the official pre-registration course. Hopefully I am wrong and your LA are right! :laughing:

Welcome to the wonderful world of childminding :clapping:

keely81
14-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the reply :) Ahh also didn't mention I did go through the registration process years ago ( 2004 ) but had a couple of after school mindees only and got a job else where as was too much of a struggle. This time around I have been at home anyway and caring for my aunty as well so any money I can earn is a bonus and so keen to work and work in childcare again.
With my training I did ask that too ,rang ofsted myself and asked to be sure as it didn't seem right as I was told I had to do the training again ,especially as my previous employers lost my certificates !! but they said whatever the LA approve they are happy to accept , I have to have it in writing for the inspector to see. My childminder coordinator did say the cypop barely covers the eyfs anyway which is the main reason we have to do training even if qualified already. I'm in north east lincolnshire by the way .

sarah707
14-08-2013, 05:27 PM
It is a requirement to do the training - so I'm not sure you will be able to get out of it - but good luck trying! :laughing:

jazzyjenbo
14-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Hi,
I just registered with food safety, then a lady turned up out if the blue one day and gave me the booklet, had a brief look around and said everythin was fine.
It was afew years ago so didnt hav a certificate issued.
The door should be fine if its kite marked but i'm not sure that you will get away with not registering the room that their in? Its my understanding that anywhere the child will go has to be registered (even if you choose not to use the room). I might be wrong but how would you ensure you are always with the children in the un registered area? I registered my entire house, bedrooms included, just incase the children have a wonder or if i need to use as a one off. X

keely81
15-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Hi,
I just registered with food safety, then a lady turned up out if the blue one day and gave me the booklet, had a brief look around and said everythin was fine.
It was afew years ago so didnt hav a certificate issued.
The door should be fine if its kite marked but i'm not sure that you will get away with not registering the room that their in? Its my understanding that anywhere the child will go has to be registered (even if you choose not to use the room). I might be wrong but how would you ensure you are always with the children in the un registered area? I registered my entire house, bedrooms included, just incase the children have a wonder or if i need to use as a one off. X

Thank you , ahh so seems they will just turn up then. Thanks for that info.
I didn't mean the room wouldn't be registered but as the room has a safety gate fitted and I would walk through with them I figured it would be low risk especially having the safety mark on them but wanted to check. I would always safety film any unmarked glass and have got rid of my garden table which was unmarked glass. The back room the door is in is for the dog and cats to have an area in peace and to meet hygiene standards with food and litter trays out of food areas and away from the children too. Thank you for the advice :)

keely81
15-08-2013, 06:06 AM
It is a requirement to do the training - so I'm not sure you will be able to get out of it - but good luck trying! :laughing:

Yes I didn't believe it either ,but my LA personally rang ofsted and I did too and was assured it was fine. They just asked me if I could cover the eyfs which I did experience in my employment in the day nursery. Oh gosh hope I haven't been told wrongly :panic:

dawntom
15-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Shock but pleased for you that you don't have to do the course.

I am lvl 4 qualified and a nursery supervisor so follow the eyfs everyday, even did a short eyfs course when the new eyfs came out and stil had to do the course. There were teachers on my course too so onviously higher than that. However we did have a massive moan about it.

I forgot about the glass, will have to ask ofsted when they finally come as i am not sure.

Sorry not much help :)

Amandak28
15-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Morning, i have a Diploma in Childcare and Education (DCE level 3) and i have just completed my CYPOP5 course as without it i cant register as a childminder.

Its standard practice to complete it. So i understand.

Its a great and very much worth doing, and it doesn't just touch on the EYFS it covers so much!

I personally would listen to ofsted as they told you its a requirement. Are you LA really going to give you a written statement and go against ofsted?
And of they do its you who could potentially get an inspector who isn't happy with that and then you'll be back to square one.

Id do everything by 'the book' just to play it safe. :-)

Good luck :-) xx

keely81
15-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Oh I'm getting worried now :panic:. I personally rang ofsted and they said whatever my LA has accepted is fine by them so long as it is confirmed in writing. Also when I submitted my form online I got a phone call asking about the qualifications part ,they said if my LA accepted that and I could answer ofsted questions about the eyfs that's fine. That is an expense I never accounted for as I was sure I didn't have to do the course. Oh dear.
Thanks for the support :) ,it is worrying setting up ,want to do it all correctly. Thanks everyone.

mpullen17387
15-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Is cypop5 course the same as CHiP course where you write up policies and safeguarding training as I have only done this, not Cypop 5.. I have just passed my inspection and got my certificate. Lots of regions have different courses, so quite confusing in what has to be done. Need to check what is what in your region, childminding briefing should have covered what you need to do.