PDA

View Full Version : Parent interview questions...

unalindura77
13-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Hi there

As some of you know I've been recently registered and I had a prospective parent meet me for a 1 1/2 year old girl to start in November, I already have on my waiting list two LO's for 2 days a week and one of the days the little girl would be here they would all be together, the three of them. Parent seemed quite concerned that I would have 3 LO's together....I explained I am planning to buy a triple buggy and my strategies for stairs etc, but have not heard back from the father, who also wanted to see my references whcich I didn't have printed out, (do you have them all printed out?).

I'm just wondering if this is something parents seem to be concerned about when they come and see you?

Also, the husband said could his wife come in on some days for a couple of hours while settling in, on days when I don't have other children, I said OK but I don't know if this is appropriate..

What do you think? How do you handle doubts that you'll be able to manage with x number of children?

I saw another add for a childminder but the lady in the add stated that she would like a childminder for her child and one other child only, is this the norm?

Nicola Carlyle
13-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Give an inch they take a mile!!!

I think having a parent there for a few settling in sessions is fine as long as they are clear that when settling in has finished they cannot just pop in anytime they like for an hour or so to play with their child then leave again.

As for numbers/ratios - you tend to find that the ones dictating how many children they want you to have really infact NEED/WANT a nanny. As long as you are very clear on your numbers, planning, risk assessments etc then you have nothing to worry about. If parents are content with you being in ratio with 3 children then they will go elsewhere. I wouldn't worry about it. More business will be along soon enough.

mama2three
13-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Its only natural for people to have concerns about the number of children we have - their only point of reference often is whether they could do it - and usually the answer to that is no!
They often just need some reassurance that this is your profession - you have the skills and experience ( and resources) to give each child exactly what they need. In the same way as you couldn't imagine doing what they do each day - but that they do as matter of course. Expain that 3 is the number that Ofsted are happy to register each childminder for - and that they are primarily concerned about the childs welfare and development . explain the benefits of still maintaining a small enough number of children that you can fulfil all the childs needs whilst offering the bonus of other children to learn with and all the social skills that will help develop.
So much of that initial parent meeting is allaying fears and making the parent confident in your abilities , so be confident in your answers whilst acknowledging their very real concerns.

Karen1
13-08-2013, 08:01 AM
hi

it sounds like they have never left their child and want to be sure that they will be well cared for and are double checking everything.

I am newly registered adn have my first settling in process next week (I am nervous and have prev nursery experience!), but the parents are really nervous as never left the child, as it is their first time and this is my first mindee starting. i have offered one hour for them to come without my children being here, so all the attention is on their child and then two settling hours with my children. both parents are insisting on coming to the settling in, even though i said it should be more like a drop off situation, with them staying less each time. in the future though when i have more children, it will be harder to offer childfree time.

i am just offering three settling in sessions of one hour (no charge) and any more with parent here to be charged at half rate before the contract starts. Otherwise you may get htem dropping in at anytime and will they expect to not pay for that session? if you have other children, it will be distracting and the child may take longer to settle with parent popping in and out.

all my visits i have had (five in total so far) only two parents said no to settling in-they will be fine, but they were parents whos children had had been in childcare before!

i have all my references and crb, certs etc in a folder to show parents so they can view, then give them a pack with fees, menus, activities and eyfs info to take home and then if they want to book. i email the policies and procedures for them to fully read and sign.

not heard of having a demand for only one child in care, but am new to this?????

hope this is of some help. if it was me i would risk assess situations that you could be in with the children and let parents see how you would handle it, to reassure them.

hth

unalindura77
13-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys

This has given me a lot to think about and I will be better prepared for a next visit....

I definitely wasn't expecting the parents to want to be here. I haven't heard back from them and they came last Thurs, should I email my references or wait and see if I hear from them again?

The parents who are on my waiting list haven't asked to be present on settling in and tbh I would find it a bit awkward! I don't really want to do that. May have to though from the sound of your experiences but I may do a settling in policy too now....

mama2three
13-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys

This has given me a lot to think about and I will be better prepared for a next visit....

I definitely wasn't expecting the parents to want to be here. I haven't heard back from them and they came last Thurs, should I email my references or wait and see if I hear from them again?

The parents who are on my waiting list haven't asked to be present on settling in and tbh I would find it a bit awkward! I don't really want to do that. May have to though from the sound of your experiences but I may do a settling in policy too now....

I wouldn't do a settling in policy tbh.
the point of settling in is to allow yourself , the child , the parents , time to learn about each other and get to know the needs / routines etc before the full days start. As youre already finding out how this works for each family is completely different. Some need minimal 'hand holding' , others need a lot of support. Some children slot straight in whilst some have deep anxiety. Let parents know what you offer 'free' , but also let them know that you treat each family as individuals and will work together to help everyone ease into the new arrangement. I offer 2 2hour free settling sessions. parents know they can ask for more but they are chargeable. Policies do have their place of course - but they also limit the flexibility which is crucial to settling in.
Good Luck x

unalindura77
13-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Well maybe not a policy...... but I guess I am just starting out and not established so the idea of being with a child and their mum for 2 hours makes me a little nervous! That's why I love this forum so much, so helpful to see how everyone handles these kind of situations and hear about what they do.....

Thanks again for all this input