PDA

View Full Version : Illnesses and sick children

amylouise867
12-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Hey all

I am doing my CYPOP5/Unit 45 course work book and Im now on the sickness part...

Questions are-

A5 - as a childminder do you think you should be expected to care for a sick child? Describe the circumstances in which you may care for a sick child in your setting and when you may not? You will need to think about the impact on your own family.

A6 - on some occasions a child may become I'll while in your care. You will need to have a sick child policy, list things you many need to include in your policy.

A7 - what are the possible consequences of giving medication to a child without parental permission?

A8 - List illnesses along with signs and symptoms and the exclusion period you will put in place.

If anyone can offer any help/support/advise - I would be very grateful :)

Thanks in advance
Amy :) x

Bumble Beez
12-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Hey huni...am now off to bed but will check back in the morning to see if I can help.

I'm sure I've got a unit of work on this :)

Sarah x

MessybutHappy
12-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Hey all

I am doing my CYPOP5/Unit 45 course work book and Im now on the sickness part...

Questions are-

A5 - as a childminder do you think you should be expected to care for a sick child? Describe the circumstances in which you may care for a sick child in your setting and when you may not? You will need to think about the impact on your own family.

This is where you demonstrate you understand the guidelines about exclusions, the 48 hour rule, how a child who is unwell may not be able to join in and how illness could be passed on to all your family leaving you having too close for even longer

A6 - on some occasions a child may become I'll while in your care. You will need to have a sick child policy, list things you many need to include in your policy.

You'll find all this on the Bromley website, but it's things like what you will do I.e.contact parents, keep child as comfy as possible, keep them away from any other children in your care

A7 - what are the possible consequences of giving medication to a child without parental permission?

Overdose or allergic reaction, you would probably be graded unsatisfactory if Ofsted got involved/found out.

A8 - List illnesses along with signs and symptoms and the exclusion period you will put in place.

This is an odd one! Any idea how many they want you to list?

Thanks in advance

I hope that helps, I'm on my phone so not much detail but might start you off!

Bumble Beez
13-08-2013, 05:59 AM
Hey all

Questions are-

Thanks in advance

Morning :) use this as a starting point...

A5 - Childminders are not here to care for poorly children...we are here to provide professional childcare for families and caring for a poorly child would have an impact on how we can do our job. We could subsequently become poorly and be unable to provide childcare for that family or others.
The impact on our own family must be taken into consideration also. If the childminder has children of their own, they could become poorly and the illness could then be passed throughout the household and other schools etc.

Certain illnesses need to be excluded...see http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374
for exclusion periods etc... also covering A8 :)

A6 - If a child was to become poorly whilst in our care, we need to have a procedure in place to follow.
We need to have a current first aid certificate and have permission in place to seek emergency medical care for children if needed.

Policy could include:

"I appreciate that as a working parent you need to be able to go to work, however if your child is unwell then they will be better cared for in their own home with a parent. I am happy to care for children with minor coughs and colds but will not care for children who are very unwell, infectious or running a high temperature. I have to go out each day to do school and pre-school runs and need to consider the welfare of all the children in my care.

If you child has had diarrhoea or sickness in the last 48 hours please do not bring them, but call and let me know.

If your child becomes ill whilst in my care, I will make them as comfortable as possible, isolate them from the other children if necessary and reassure them. I will contact you immediately and continue to care for your child until you arrive.

I am happy to administer medication – please see my Administering medication policy.

I will contact you if one of my own children is not well, inform you of the illness/symptoms and if I am able to work. This then allows you to make an informed decision as to whether to bring your child or not."

A7 -We must have permission in place to administer medication to children who we care for.

"I am happy to give your child non-prescribed medication, such as cough mixture, Calpol or Nurofen, teething gel etc, but only if you have signed a parental permission form for me to do so.

This permission form will be regularly reviewed to ensure that there are no changes, for example a child may no longer be able to take some medication or may need an additional form.
This is to protect your child, you and myself.
It is vital that you inform me of any medication you may have given your child before they arrive into my care. I need to know what medicine they have had, the dose and time given."

We must not give children medication without permission from parents, we could give the child the wrong dosage or give them something that they could have an adverse reaction to. Prescribed medication must not be given unless it is within its expiry date and has the child's name printed on the bottle/label.

Hope this helps a little...its a very brief overview of what I did. If you get stuck tho, just shout :)

amylouise867
13-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Morning :) use this as a starting point...

A5 - Childminders are not here to care for poorly children...we are here to provide professional childcare for families and caring for a poorly child would have an impact on how we can do our job. We could subsequently become poorly and be unable to provide childcare for that family or others.
The impact on our own family must be taken into consideration also. If the childminder has children of their own, they could become poorly and the illness could then be passed throughout the household and other schools etc.

Certain illnesses need to be excluded...see http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374
for exclusion periods etc... also covering A8 :)

A6 - If a child was to become poorly whilst in our care, we need to have a procedure in place to follow.
We need to have a current first aid certificate and have permission in place to seek emergency medical care for children if needed.

Policy could include:

"I appreciate that as a working parent you need to be able to go to work, however if your child is unwell then they will be better cared for in their own home with a parent. I am happy to care for children with minor coughs and colds but will not care for children who are very unwell, infectious or running a high temperature. I have to go out each day to do school and pre-school runs and need to consider the welfare of all the children in my care.

If you child has had diarrhoea or sickness in the last 48 hours please do not bring them, but call and let me know.

If your child becomes ill whilst in my care, I will make them as comfortable as possible, isolate them from the other children if necessary and reassure them. I will contact you immediately and continue to care for your child until you arrive.

I am happy to administer medication – please see my Administering medication policy.

I will contact you if one of my own children is not well, inform you of the illness/symptoms and if I am able to work. This then allows you to make an informed decision as to whether to bring your child or not."

A7 -We must have permission in place to administer medication to children who we care for.

"I am happy to give your child non-prescribed medication, such as cough mixture, Calpol or Nurofen, teething gel etc, but only if you have signed a parental permission form for me to do so.

This permission form will be regularly reviewed to ensure that there are no changes, for example a child may no longer be able to take some medication or may need an additional form.
This is to protect your child, you and myself.
It is vital that you inform me of any medication you may have given your child before they arrive into my care. I need to know what medicine they have had, the dose and time given."

We must not give children medication without permission from parents, we could give the child the wrong dosage or give them something that they could have an adverse reaction to. Prescribed medication must not be given unless it is within its expiry date and has the child's name printed on the bottle/label.

Hope this helps a little...its a very brief overview of what I did. If you get stuck tho, just shout :)

Thank you do much!!!

This is fab!!!

Thank you for taking you time to help me!!

I am going to hopefully start this section this evening.

Appreciate it lots and lots :) xxxx

FussyElmo
13-08-2013, 08:30 AM
The only thing of bumble beez is the cough medicine. Its not recommended for under 6's anymore :-)

amylouise867
13-08-2013, 08:38 AM
The only thing of bumble beez is the cough medicine. Its not recommended for under 6's anymore :-)

Brill thank you!!! xx

Bumble Beez
13-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Thank you Fussy :thumbsup: ...hadn't even crossed my mind when I posted earlier!
Will go and check over my policy in case I've missed something when I reviewed earlier this year :)