PDA

View Full Version : Chickens!?

S Stars
08-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Hi

I am a newly registered child minder just waiting for my certificate to arrive!
I have got 3 parents lined up for sept/oct and I am thinking about getting chickens!?
My question is should I consult with the parents before I get them to see how they feel and secondly are there any major risks I need to consider ? ( apart from obvious washing hands etc? They would be in an enclosed run and not loose in the garden)

Thanks

CLL
08-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Lots of people on here have chickens. I am sure someone will be along soon with risk assessment advice. On the other note, I would not ask parents on their opinions and if you can/can not have something in your own home. It will only lead them to think they can dictate other areas of your life/care you offer. If you want chickens go for it, but bear in mind it may put some parents off and they may go elsewhere.

hectors house
08-08-2013, 05:37 PM
My husband is currently in garden finishing building our chicken run - hopefully will be able to get chickens at weekend -I told the mindees parents we were getting chickens (I didn't ask them) and they have all been as excited as the children and can't wait for them to arrive. We do already have 2 dogs and a cat so the parents know that we are "animal" people!

FussyElmo
08-08-2013, 05:51 PM
I have chickens and it never occurred to me to ask the parents if they minded :)

Risk assessment they have their own area. Children only allowed in with me and must wash their hands afterwards :thumbsup:

S Stars
08-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Thank you!! I am a bit apprehensive about it as only just starting up but really love the idea of having them! Xx

FussyElmo
08-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Thank you!! I am a bit apprehensive about it as only just starting up but really love the idea of having them! Xx

Love my chickens and I got through the winter months so I know they are here for keeps :)

S Stars
08-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Is there a lot involved in looking after them?

Bumble Beez
08-08-2013, 07:43 PM
I really want chickens...but DH says no :'(

Sarah x

FussyElmo
08-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Is there a lot involved in looking after them?  X

No not at all. Good clean out every week. Fresh food and water daily. Red miting and worming weekly ( well I do) will leave red miting the birds if its raining.

hectors house
08-08-2013, 07:50 PM
We are taking a gamble as it is in our deeds "no pigs or poultry" allowed - however also says no caravans parked on drives but there is a :censored: huge camper van down the road!

If neighbours complain I am going to tell them if the chickens have to go I will do dog fostering or boarding using the chicken run as a kennel instead - obviously I wouldn't do that while minding, but neighbours don't know that.

FussyElmo
08-08-2013, 07:53 PM
I really want chickens...but DH says no :'(

Sarah x

My dh said no but when my brother brought me the coop he couldn't say no :D

Bumble Beez
08-08-2013, 08:02 PM
My dh said no but when my brother brought me the coop he couldn't say no :D

Doh...that plan is foiled...I have no brother...
I suppose if I buy a coop then it would be a waste not to fill it with chickens ;)
I'm not one for giving up tho...so watch this space :laughing:

Sarah x

S Stars
08-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Ha ha!!!

Bumble Beez
08-08-2013, 08:19 PM
If hubby was to say yes...I wouldn't consult parents first.

The decision would be ours and I would risk assess properly and make sure they wouldn't have a negative effect on the mindees.

Go for it hun xx

Sarah x

FussyElmo
08-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Go for it :-D

S Stars
08-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Oooo ok!!! Looks like I'm going chicken shopping tomorrow!!!

jax clinch
09-08-2013, 04:06 AM
We have 6 chickens who have their own area but the children love going to feed them and collect the eggs. Good luck

Bumble Beez
09-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Oooo ok!!! Looks like I'm going chicken shopping tomorrow!!! dde04
Thanks for all the advice and support only found this forum a few days ago and you are all fab!! dde04 X

Make sure you share some photo's when you've got your new babies...
And yes the forum is...wait for it...AWESOME!!!!!
I would be lost without it now :D

Sarah x

angeldelight
09-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Hi

I am a newly registered child minder just waiting for my certificate to arrive!
I have got 3 parents lined up for sept/oct and I am thinking about getting chickens!?
My question is should I consult with the parents before I get them to see how they feel and secondly are there any major risks I need to consider ? ( apart from obvious washing hands etc? They would be in an enclosed run and not loose in the garden)

Thanks

I wouldn't ask parents

Have fun and enjoy your chickens and new children

Angel xx

S Stars
09-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Thanks angel.

Am just a bit worried that they wont like it esp one as she is very protective of her child ..... On the other hand don't want to be dictated to !!!....

Has been playing on my mind all might Was thinking of phoning them to say this is what we are wanting to do or an email round saying that we are having new additions!!? Or am I over thinking it!!!

Bumble Beez
09-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks angel.

Am just a bit worried that they wont like it esp one as she is very protective of her child ..... On the other hand don't want to be dictated to !!!....

Has been playing on my mind all might Was thinking of phoning them to say this is what we are wanting to do or an email round saying that we are having new additions!!? Or am I over thinking it!!! dde33
Xxx

You're thinking it over too much...personally I would send out a newsletter or emails just saying 'look at our new additions to the setting' then if anyone wants to comment, they can x

Sarah x

S Stars
09-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Well got the chickens!!!!!

FussyElmo
09-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Well got the chickens!!!!!  I did speak to the parents about what I wanted to do and they all loved the idea!!!

So now they are home and in run am wondering if any fellow chicken keepers could advise me on what to put on the grass to keep it easy to clean!?

Thank you! Xx

Have you fenced off a area separate for them or are you just letting them loose in your garden?

S Stars
09-08-2013, 05:24 PM
It's fenced off coop and run in one with 3 chickens xx

FussyElmo
09-08-2013, 05:54 PM
It's fenced off coop and run in one with 3 chickens xx

So they haven't got their own area as well as the coop and run. All I can say if you can you would be best off trying to fence them an area off as they pooh constantly. I wouldn't know what to suggest on keeping your grass clean. They will also eat the grass. If you have a veg patch chicken pooh is good for plants :-)

Jiorjiina
09-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Ours have a fenced off area at the bottom of the garden, with their coop and run.

Red mites are a scourge, and a constant battle! Also, beware of foxes, because even if you don't think there are any near you, there almost certainly are. (And don't rely on having a dog or a cat that will scare them off. We have a big, noisy dog, and foxes still got two of our previous chickens!) Also if your chickens free range, they will eat your plants and grass. There is a reason there is a thing called a Chicken Tractor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tractor).

Risk assessment - mainly about poo. There will be a lot of it. It will be everywhere (it's brilliant for the garden though). Just keep an eye on the kids, explain to the older ones, watch the little ones like a hawk, and wash hands after visiting them.

Chickens are brilliant, we love ours to bits! When we allow ours in the rest of the garden, if the dog is shut inside, they wander up to the back door and watch us through it. Sometimes they peck at it to get our attention. Mindees all think it is the best thing ever and sit and watch them for ages!

S Stars
09-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the advice! So do you just leave the poo or try pick it up ? A friend suggested putting bark down?
My boys are living them and we have had 2 eggs already!!

S Stars
09-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Sorry loving them not living them!!!

hectors house
10-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Oh damn - came on here to announce that we had chickens and found S Stars had beaten me to it - Congratulations S Stars on your new additions - what breed are yours?

We decided in the end to get some rescue intensive barn hens from the rescue centre where we have had dogs from in the past. I rang local RSPCA as they had hens on their website and they wanted us to fill in forms and have home visit etc - so rang the other rescue centre (who wasn't advertising any hens) but they said they had just had 200 come in and we could collect today. Just had to take photographs of our coop and run with measurements, fill in a form and then catch our own! We did manage to get 4 beautiful hens (hardly pecked or bald at all) but then the lady decided to help us and sneaked a couple of slightly beaten up ones in the box, but I am sure they will soon recover.

Think they are called something "Warrens" which is just a normal brown chicken - she said they are about 18 months old and should still lay very well.

We have a small coop and then a 12ft x 4ft run - the lady at rescue centre said we will have to worm them and treat them for red mites more often as our run is permanent not moveable. Think I read somewhere that you should use wood chip rather than bark chips - hope we have several eggs tomorrow as otherwise there may be a fight as to who gets the first home grown egg!

S Stars
10-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Congratulations hectors house!!! Ours are warrens to they are lovely aren't they! We had 2 eggs yesterday laid in the box in the car!!! And 2 more today

hectors house
10-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Just cooking homemade quiche with home grown eggs! :thumbsup:

Think you can get wood chips from places like saw mills - we haven't got any yet, going to wait and see how much mess they make in the run at the moment they are enjoying scratching up the soil and eating weeds!