PDA

View Full Version : hi need urgent advice plz

munchkin06
07-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I was looking at starting childminding this september, finally got an answer back off my landlord and theyve said no. There reason being adaptations ie gates need to be put up. Landlords insurance is asking for more.....does any1 do childminding in a rwnted property? Do u know if the landlords isurance wantes to increase there payments? Really annoyed. They should be looking at the pkus side, my job to earn the rent, always at home so can keep the house clean and tidy and kept on top of and security as always in, long term tenant and no worries at having to find another tenant all the time n losing money in that time.

blue bear
07-08-2013, 04:00 PM
I don't rent but there are other posts on this have a search. Have you written a letter detailing what being a childminder will mean and the benefits you list above. Quite often it's because they don't understand what childminding actually involves that they say no.

munch149
07-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I rent and never had any problems with my landlord. We said what I did and they just accepted it. I have my own 16 month old so don't really see what difference it makes anyway. I would say we were pretty lucky tho as we have a dog too so were asking alot from any landlord. Don't really know what you can do if they say no tho

shortstuff
07-08-2013, 04:21 PM
are you in contact directly with your landlord? or do you contact each other through an agency?

I would ask what their concerns are and see if you can answer any of them and put their mind at rest.

Mouse
07-08-2013, 04:26 PM
I was looking at starting childminding this september, finally got an answer back off my landlord and theyve said no. There reason being adaptations ie gates need to be put up. Landlords insurance is asking for more.....does any1 do childminding in a rwnted property? Do u know if the landlords isurance wantes to increase there payments? Really annoyed. They should be looking at the pkus side, my job to earn the rent, always at home so can keep the house clean and tidy and kept on top of and security as always in, long term tenant and no worries at having to find another tenant all the time n losing money in that time.

But what if you had your own children? Would they stop you from putting gates up then?

I would ask exactly what their concerns are and write a letter answering each point, showing how it needn't be a concern.

Have Ofsted & your LA let you go all the way through the registration process without you knowing whether or not you could childmind from you rented property? I'd have thought they should suggest you waited until you knew for certain :(

Rachel23
07-08-2013, 05:11 PM
I rent ad our landlords insurance did go up but the extra in her insurance has been added into our rent, we have sucker gates so no holes in walls and added fire guards when we moved on and landlord was happy about this, any damage caused by childminding we have agreed to fix.

Mrsh3103
07-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Maybe you should explain that you wi be ofsted registered & your house has to be of a certain standard.
Your landlord may just think you're planning on having hundreds of kids round every day ruining the place. I'd try having another chat & explaining everything in more detail.
Good luck :)

kellyskidz!
07-08-2013, 06:40 PM
I rent and my rent was put up £20 per month which I wasn't happy about until landlady showed me her insurance rates which had shot up by £50 per month because she'd told them I was running a business from the property so it was fair
I already had my young daughter so gate ps, cupboard locks etc were already up
I'd ask for a chat with them to discuss the situation
Why not suggest they they do a trail run and do monthy checks on their property, they may not be sure of what childminding means and imagine their house getting wrecked!
Show them your risk assessments and house rules and ask if they have anything to add, tell them you're serious about this but also acknowledge its their property and will still treat it with the respect you always have done
Worth a shot!:thumbsup:

mia3
08-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Hi, I'm in a rented property, I spoke to my landlady who said she would look in to it with her insurance company. She got back to me saying that it was ok to go ahead but insurance would only let me have 3 children here at one time. When I did my training we were told we needed a letter to confirm that we were able to child mind from a rented property but on my pre reg visit ofsted didn't ask to see it. Hope your able to sort something out.