PDA

View Full Version : I did it!!!!!!

Newtochildcare
06-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Phew, that was the longest two hours of my life, but please to report that I survived it, and passed my pre-reg visit!!

Inspector was lovely, but I have to say, I found the 'typing everything I said' onto her lap top was very unnerving. So, here is a brief run down of how it went (in case any of you are interested!)

She arrived (15 mins late!) and I was fairly chuffed with myself for remembering to ask to see her ID as she walked through my door! (Although it didn't really help that I had four men and a cement mixer outside my house laying my new drive this morning!

She looked at all my ID, and certificates
Had a look round the whole house and garden. She was very clear to point out that trampolines have a minimum age of 6 years so I need to ensure children any younger do not use it! :panic: (Could I maybe see if parents are happy to allow younger kids on, and get them to sign if so?)
Started with the questions. Despite putting loads of work into question 1, as she didn't ask it in such a way I had prepared my response on the sheet, I went into total meltdown, and froze (apart from the shaking!!) I literally couldn't get any words out, and had to leave te room to get a glass of water!! Once I was suitably composed, I came back in, and she allowed me to talk through my answer how I had produced it! Phew.
The rest of the questions I seemed to do fine with, and as each question was asked, I seemed to get more relaxed, and confident, and didn't really need to refer back to the sheet half as often as I thought I would. I was confident talking through my policies, thanks to another members advice from yesterday to make sure I know them!

Throughout the meeting, she also offered a few useful bits of advice, (like adapting the medicines, or illness policy to say that I can give calpol if children have high temp, but can't get hold of parents to check)

Anyway, I am sure I have forgotten loads of other useful tips for you all, but I literally feel mentally exhausted! Early night for the kids. My ds had me awake from 3am last night, then I couldn't get back to sleep after that as was thinking about the visit! So early night for the kids and a large glass of wine for me :D

Natalierose
06-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Congratulations!! I have mine in the morning and can honestly say I'm a bag of nerves.
X

Amandak28
06-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Well done hun!! Now time for alit all to sink in. :-) x xx

hectors house
06-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Congratulations and well done for managing to calm yourself down and explain everything your way. You should sleep well night then with that off your mind :thumbsup:

shortstuff
06-08-2013, 04:13 PM
brill news, welcome to the clan officially. Now to get LOs on your books x

tulip0803
06-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Congratulations:clapping:

With the trampoline you would be uninsured if you allowed a child younger than the recommended age to use it. The PLI companies (Pacey/MM) have both specified that large equipment must be used as per the manufacturers instructions. There have been a few posts about this recently. Parental permission makes no difference as your PLI would still be void.

cherry
06-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Congratulations :thumbsup:

charlottenash
06-08-2013, 06:01 PM
I don't have a trampoline and don't intend on getring one so this doesn't affect me. Just curious as I've read so many posts about them lately:

If you had a parents permission stating they understand you will be uninsured in the event of an accident, and that they take 100% responsibility for their child in that situation if there was an accident would that still not count?

I'm guessing not from all I've read but it seems so harsh if a 4yo had a trampoline at home and you have the same one they can't play on it.

munch149
06-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I don't have a trampoline and don't intend on getring one so this doesn't affect me. Just curious as I've read so many posts about them lately:

If you had a parents permission stating they understand you will be uninsured in the event of an accident, and that they take 100% responsibility for their child in that situation if there was an accident would that still not count?

I'm guessing not from all I've read but it seems so harsh if a 4yo had a trampoline at home and you have the same one they can't play on it.

I let my 16 month old dd play on ours. It's then a bit mean to stop older kids

FussyElmo
06-08-2013, 06:15 PM

Regardless of what the children due at their own houses while they are in your care they are 100% your responsibility. No piece of written permission overrides that. In case a few years back a childminder was sued by parents and her public liability was invalid think she had her registration taken away by Ofsted as well.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/37806-minder-struck-off.html a few years old now but still very valid.

charlottenash
06-08-2013, 06:20 PM
I thought that would be the case fussy, seems so harsh though. But rules are rules. I'm not a fan of them because I had a trampolining accident as a kid.

What about at farms etc? Most of our local places have trampolines enclosed in a net thing. I also let a 3yo mindee on his scooter at the local ramps because he goes there with parents. I've never thought it could be an issue but I'm starting a whole load of risk assessments in my head now lol.

Little_steps
06-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Congratulations! The long slog is over, now the fun begins!
X

unalindura77
07-08-2013, 06:21 AM
Heyyy you!!

Fantastic!!!

I logged on this morning just to see how you did, but I knew you would do it!!! :D

Now you can rest and wait for your certificate and actually enjoy some of the summer :clapping: :clapping: :jump for joy: