PDA

View Full Version : Childminder defies the nappy curriculum

Simona
01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
This is a story to follow...should cms opt out of the EYFS and what would be the consequences?

Childminder defies 'nappy curriculum' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/5372781/Childminder-defies-nappy-curriculum.html)

FussyElmo
01-08-2013, 12:50 PM
The only problem with the article is that it is now 4 years out of date. Correct me if Im wrong but no childminder has been able to opt out of the eyfs :thumbsup:

Simona
01-08-2013, 01:14 PM
The only problem with the article is that it is now 4 years out of date. Correct me if Im wrong but no childminder has been able to opt out of the eyfs :thumbsup:

Ye,it is old but I remember the case very well.
I just wondered if anyone knew if she had been successful...or still fighting...or indeed had Ofsted acted against her?
she was backed by the group that called the EYFS the nappy curriculum and also fought for Steiner to be exempted and won for the Steiner schools

Beaka
01-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Ye,it is old but I remember the case very well.
I just wondered if anyone knew if she had been successful...or still fighting...or indeed had Ofsted acted against her?
she was backed by the group that called the EYFS the nappy curriculum and also fought for Steiner to be exempted and won for the Steiner schools

She's on facebook, just search for Pat Adams, Warrington. Looks like she is still childminding but not clear if eyfs or not? xx

Daftbat
01-08-2013, 04:03 PM
This story is an old one and has been the but of several arguments on forums that are now closed because both she and her hubby are ardent critics of the EYFS from the beginning.

I have seen loads of rubbish put forward by these people and I would recommend that anyone who has put their heart and sole in to their minding career should ignore her and her hubby.

It says a lot for the system that she has now been operating illegally in effect for 4 years and no one has done something about it.

sarah707
01-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Who on earth resurrected this story :panic: It's not one that does our profession any favours really :(

Simona
01-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Not on Facebook so unable to follow this cm's journey into what seem to me to be a road to nowhere

Yes not a good advert for cms ...why resurrect it? the Telegraph has its own agenda I think!

merry
02-08-2013, 12:29 AM
I met this lady at an event where we collected our first EYFS packs, and she seemed to have gone with the express intention of disrupting the whole thing. She argued and critisised every single point the early years team tried to make and interrupted so much in the end they asked her to be quiet so others could get the info they came for as she'd made her point. Her teenage daughter dramatically slammed out of the room, and she spent ages then going round everyone trying to find people interested in forming a protest group with her - no takers as far as I could see. She seemed genuine in her belief that it was a bad thing for children, and for childminders, who would have to spend hours extra time on paperwork - well she wasn't wrong there!!

:)

Mouse
02-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Who on earth resurrected this story :panic: It's not one that does our profession any favours really :(

I saw it pop up a few times yesterday on Facebook, but I'm not sure where it started from.

I've seen more and more people posting on Facebook groups that they're fed up of EYFS, paperwork, Ofsted etc and that they'd be happy if it all went. It does worry me that more and more CMs would see deregulation as a positive thing :panic:

sarah707
02-08-2013, 07:34 AM
I saw it pop up a few times yesterday on Facebook, but I'm not sure where it started from.

I've seen more and more people posting on Facebook groups that they're fed up of EYFS, paperwork, Ofsted etc and that they'd be happy if it all went. It does worry me that more and more CMs would see deregulation as a positive thing :panic:

It worries me too Mouse. I am trying really hard to help people see that it shouldn't be a paperwork mountain and that it IS doable - but the naysayers are out in force too :(

bindy
02-08-2013, 08:02 AM

I have seen child minders so obsess with paper work /collecting evidence and Ofsted its become detrimental to the children they look after.

FussyElmo
02-08-2013, 08:19 AM

I think its been resurrected to get more childminders complain about the eyfs, paperwork so they can turn round and say look that's why the agencies will be good for us as a profession :panic:

Simona
02-08-2013, 08:23 AM

I would be interested to know who theses people on FB are?
I recollect...maybe wrongly... there was a certain group behind this, also read the related article and it mentions Steiner...the very schools who are now exempt....research it and you will fine a clear trail!

I used to belong to OpenEYE and defended the right of cms to deliver the EYFS 2008...I was not popular with the Doctor leading the group...although I did take some of his points on board!

This cm had/has the option to do after school care only so maybe that is where she should have gone?

Let's address those cms who are moaning about the EYFS, paperwork and Ofsted...what are they constructively doing to engage?...apart from advertising the agency?
#So this is my advice to them...think twice before you moan

The EYFS 2008 was a very good framework (still is for those who have not thrown it away like me) ...
BUT....it was very longwinded and repetitive especially the DM and yes one or two goals could have been combined...(however it did gain many cms high grades...did it not?)

BUT....the Labour party had committed to reviewing it......
BUT..... it lost the general election so along came Gove who decided to 'reform it' and make it very much a legal framework to be 'individually interpreted' and pushing for 'school readiness' causing nothing but confusion in addition to adding inspectors who arrived with tick boxes and unable to see good practice

The govt is busy deregulating childcare while Ofsted wants tougher inspections...the 2 do not go together and Gove and Wilshaw should talk to each other!

BUT...now we have not a jot of an idea how we will be inspected we are 'afraid' of throwing away any 'unnecessary paperwork'....
BUT....Truss is trying hard to tell us all this is not required along with 'free flow play???

Put your hand up if you have thrown anything away or are sure how your inspection will be?...or can say 'paperwork is reduced'?...or have you just reshuffled your portfolio in a different order and kept this or that 'just in case'??

In fact paperwork has increased a tiny bit so those cms who will join an agency will find a pile of prescriptive, additional and confusing paperwork because it is not devised by them but by the agency ...and as many will be our LAs we are back to square one?

The EYFS 2008 did not require much paperwork...as a new framework it deserved to be tried then reviewed...not slaughtered!

BUT...because we knew exactly how we were inspected the LAs pushed for extra prescriptive paperwork, usually via those cms who belonged to a Network, to get on the Govt list of 'high achieving' LAs in terms of Outstanding grades awarded (my LA never ceases to tell us they are 2nd in the league of getting o's)

BUT ...this additional paperwork was 'mostly' given to Network cms who in order to stay in these clubs did not raise any complaints about the duplication or ineffective paperwork produced by the LAs

BUT....the grades improved a great deal, Network and non network cms did achieve up to 71% of high grades...
BUT...only a handful of 'Accredited' cms were rewarded with praise and LAs patted themselves on the back ...and dreamed up even more useless paperwork

BUT... only a handful of cms were passing the Free Entitlement to parents across the country, the number of Accredited cms remained very low and still is very low... ...in fact no one knows how many there are ...
BUT... the huge majority of cms are excluded from Networks (some refused to belong anyway)..so our parents have paid more fees over time when unable to access the funding via their cms...so maybe moved their kids to a preschool and lost us business

BUT...very few cms saw the discrimination of leaving the majority of their non network colleagues out of their club and unable to access something that the very EYFS 2008 had given us the right and equality to access

Not sure if this connects BUT I felt like having a go and giving those who moan endlessly time to reflect of what they may be wishing for the future...it starts with an 'A'....instead of moaning be proactive and constructive!
Apologies for this lengthy rant!