PDA

View Full Version : smp being employed and self employed?

Rachael's stars
01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi I cant find the answer to this anywhere and was wondering what everyone else has done,

can I claim smp from my employer and still work as self employed at the same time?

Any help would be a great help thanks

Mrsh3103
01-08-2013, 12:19 PM
So are you employed but on maternity leave & planning on starting childminding??

I went through the registration process while on mat leave. I was registered 1 month before the end of mat leave but my contract said I wasn't allowed to undertake any other work employed or self employed while on mat leave
I'd check your contract :)

FussyElmo
01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't have thought you would be able to earn money from self employment while claiming smp :)

bindy
01-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I recall leaving my job, starting up child minding, having a baby and someone telling me I could claim 90 per cent of my wages from my employer! You need to have left the job within a time span( I just missed out) it's a good time span too, 6/11 months around may be longer? Something you should look into. Call your local jobcentre plus

Rachael's stars
02-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Iv been employed by a local supermarket for over 8 yrs I only do sunday and thursday afternoons and I childmind on mon tue weds I think id only be entitled to maternity allowence from work as I dont earn a lot its about 260 a month but id like to carry on childminding while on leave from work obviously only if its possible iv seen on dwp website that it mentions any self employed work will not effect your leave but its all so unclear as to what you can and cant do

bindy
02-09-2013, 12:58 PM
I was told while child minding I could only work a total of 10 hours ( the entire leave) while claiming maternity benefit but you must check

Becci26
02-09-2013, 02:10 PM
No, if u are working and not on maternity leave, regardless of employed or self employed u cannot claim smp,

When claimjng smp you are allowed a total of 10 'keeping in touch' days at work hth

vikiwizz
02-09-2013, 02:18 PM
If your claim MA (maternity allowance) you can't earn any other money, but can do 10 KIT days (keeping in touch) with out forgoing your money

However if you are claiming SMP then you can also earn money through self employment and still claim your SMP for the full 33 weeks

vikiwizz
02-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Hi I cant find the answer to this anywhere and was wondering what everyone else has done,

can I claim smp from my employer and still work as self employed at the same time?

Any help would be a great help thanks

Yes you can

k-tots
23-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Hi I had the same issue until i found this on the Publications - DWP (http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications)

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)

Working in your Maternity Pay Period
If you are getting SMP from one employer and, before your baby is born, you do some work for another employer, your SMP is not affected.
If you do any work in a self-employed capacity during your MPP, then such work will not affect your SMP.

hope this helps :)