PDA

View Full Version : EYFS

rebecca parker
29-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Please can anyone help....how many hours does a child have to attend a setting to have the EYFS learning journal etc done on them, I have a two mindies doing less than 10 a week should I complete the same paperwork on them that I do on ones that attend fulltime..... hope that makes sense

charlottenash
29-07-2013, 01:55 PM
I have one who is contracted 10 hours, he's 3, I do learning journals etc just the same as others but I'm not sure what you have to do.

rebecca parker
29-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Just seems a lot of paperwork for two less than half days....so was searching the sites on eyfs to see if there was any information on it and all i found is its the setting they spend the most time should do it....do you know if I've read that right

loocyloo
29-07-2013, 02:18 PM
I do a learning journey book for all my EY children - whether they come for 5 hrs a week or 35! there is more in the books for the children who I see more, but I still do observations and chart development for the children who do fewer hours. one child spends more time at nursery than he does with me, and I can't say I have found nursery entirely willing to share, so I do my own thing and share with the parents.

rebecca parker
29-07-2013, 02:44 PM
It just looks so little in there and plus this child is off lot and plus coming 1-6 then sometimes needing a sleep (sometimes 2 hrs) then school runs then meals there just seem time for anything else plus i struggle with activities as he likes to do is lie on the floor with cars and gets upset if we don't have them out and struggles to play with anything else or the other children. Any ideas

moggy
29-07-2013, 05:44 PM
It just looks so little in there and plus this child is off lot and plus coming 1-6 then sometimes needing a sleep (sometimes 2 hrs) then school runs then meals there just seem time for anything else plus i struggle with activities as he likes to do is lie on the floor with cars and gets upset if we don't have them out and struggles to play with anything else or the other children. Any ideas

You do need to comply with EYFS even for short hours, but the amount depends on how long you have the child- obviously less obs.

But obs and planning can include things that you have mentioned-

'school run' (you don't say age of child) you can observe how child walks/runs/takes care when out and plan for next steps, how child looks for things, talks about thing, collects things on the way etc;

'naps'- you can observe if child recognises routine, how child communicates they are tired, how they look forward to a book before nap and follow a story etc.

'meals'- how the child is eating, playing with food (being creative!), self-feeding, wiping own face after dinner, learning about washing hands before/after food, trying new foods, learning about healthy food, drinking from cup etc etc.

And I am sure all 7 EYFS areas are covered there!

It does not all have to be planned 'activities', they learn and do new things all day and we can help them develop in all these areas while just eating/going for naps/school run etc!

rebecca parker
29-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Ah thank you that really helps.....is there any guide line to how many obs should be done,i just find it hard with photo evidence my parents seem to like that but its hard. He has just gone 2 and his mom is very inconsistent with sending him any excuse and he stays at nans. Also I've started to daily obs on the mindies to make sure they are meeting all areas i note obs and next steps i will take also noting area they meet plus a photo (if i get one) some days i don't an obs and i note this in their books. This is the book i send home for parents to comment on. I thought it was a good idea so parents could see what im doing and they also could follow next steps if they wish.....now be honest am i making to much work for myself!!