PDA

View Full Version : Nurseries get legal help for inspections complaints

Simona
29-07-2013, 11:00 AM
I just received my latest issue of Nursery World and this article features in it...I do get an online version but this article has escaped me!
Looks like nurseries are seeking legal help to support them in their challenge against Ofsted inspections

Good for them...but I feel cms could do with the same service especially when we work on our own and not in a team

I will try to fine a link to this article and maybe we should start putting questions to our representing associations and get the same help

It appears that NDNA are running a workshop for this on 12 September and it is free to non members...I'll take a look and see if it is useful for cms as well

Simona
29-07-2013, 12:49 PM
And here is the link
Nurseries get legal help for complaints about inspections | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1192991/nurseries-legal-help-complaints-inspections?DCMP=EMC-CONNurseryWorldUpdate&bulletin=nursery-world-update-bulletin)

rickysmiths
29-07-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm sure if we needed to the Legal Helplines of or Public liability Insurer's would guide us. After all that is what they are there for. However the process for Complaining about and inspection is very clear and not difficult it is just time consuming. I have followed it and got the body of my report altered as a result, something we are all told will never happen.

I did not feel I needed Legal Advise to go through the process!

Simona
29-07-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm sure if we needed to the Legal Helplines of or Public liability Insurer's would guide us. After all that is what they are there for. However the process for Complaining about and inspection is very clear and not difficult it is just time consuming. I have followed it and got the body of my report altered as a result, something we are all told will never happen.

I did not feel I needed Legal Advise to go through the process!

I am sure nurseries too have a legal line for support and NDNA are providing a workshop in addition
Can't say I have seen anything like it from Pacey and yet cms too are fighting their grades...we have heard horror stories from cms...have we not?

This has happened recently since Ofsted changed the way they inspect and why
Previously an inspector's judgement was not referred to Ofsted HQ as now when they appear to make the final decision without being present at the inspection and bypassing the inspector's own judgement, which sounds to me like inspections are a tick box and inspectors themselves not that qualified? well after a few weeks training how can they be?

The story in NWorld is very clear about what is happening

Many cms, myself included, have managed to get changes in their report but that was without resorting to complaints procedures and when Ofsted was 'professionally' engaging with us...both NDNA and PLA have raised concerns about the new inspections regime...there must be a valid reason why they have done so??

sarah707
29-07-2013, 06:10 PM
So many childminders are badly advised to wait for their inspection reports before raising complaints - and by then it is too late :(

The complaint should be made on the day - at the time - with the inspector. If it can't be cleared up the childminder should ring the Ofsted helpline there and then and explain the situation.

They should follow it up with a letter clearly stating their issues.

Too many childminders sit and worry about inspection results and don't tell anyone :( I feel so sad for them because they don't always get good advice :(

Nurseries are big business and can employ legal help - we can't - but we are in a position of power if we know our rights!! :clapping: