PDA

View Full Version : contracts- when a parent defaults

scesf
25-07-2013, 09:07 AM
I was meant to start with a child today after my summer break. They didn't turn up so I text the parent to be told she'd text me a while back saying she'd changed her mind and was reducing her working hours instead. I never received a text from her at all. She signed the contract on the initial visit in may, should I pursue her for 4 weeks notice money ? . I didn't have a space available to take this child until this week as I had another child leaving.
Not sure where I stand as I can't prove she didn't send a text nor can I prove to her I didn't receive it

SJ35
25-07-2013, 10:35 AM
I'd try for the notice period or at least a portion of it. It's up to her to prove that she gave notice.
I would be really annoyed if I'd turned down work because of this.
X

SJ35
25-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Did you have a settling in session on the contract? Had you taken a deposit?
X

Mouse
25-07-2013, 10:48 AM
If she's never actually started with you there's not really much you can do. Did you take a non-refundable deposit? Do you have a settling in period written into your contracts?

rickysmiths
25-07-2013, 10:55 AM
If the Contract Never Started then I don't think you would stand a chance getting any notice money.

This is why when I do a Contract I take a four weeks fees Deposit. If the Contract never starts it is clear that this is not returned, if a parent reduces their days / hours before they start or in the first six months they forfeit that % of the Deposit. The Deposit is held until the end of the Contract when, if all fees are paid up to date, it is used to cover the notice period.

To be honest if a parent had signed a Contract in may to start now I would have been in Contact before my holiday checking time etc and organising some settling in.

Kiddleywinks
25-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Agree with Rickysmiths:
Unstarted contract with no money as a deposit and no settling in sessions - think I would chalk this one down to experience and let it go, but I'd also be changing my signing up procedure in future :thumbsup:

supermumy
25-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Agree I signed a child to start nx month ages ago I took the 1st month fee as a deposit and me and mum have text each other just saying how's things etc and this week checking on the settling dates etc

I'd take this as a live and learn experience :)