PDA

View Full Version : LATEST update on funding for 2, 3 and 4 year olds (23 July)

Simona
24-07-2013, 07:10 AM
I am posting a new thread on this matter as I believe as many cms as possible MUST be updated on this

The thread : IMPORTANT information for 2, 3 and 4 yo funding in this section has been seen by many cms but it needs to be seen by many more (please check it to keep updated)

We need to be sure that 152 LAs are made aware we know what we are now finally entitled to do and will not put up with any delaying tactics from them.

If your LA is not allowing you to do the funding for 2, 3 and 4 year olds for whatever 'reasons' or you feel they are putting up 'unnecessary' barriers please read the message from the DfE which I received yesterday and be sure to argue your point with them

Please remember that this govt reform on this issue will:

1. AT LAST allow parents using cms to access the Free Entitlement and give cms 'equality'
2. for years and years parents have had to pay more because of cms exclusion from this process
3. cms have lost children to preschools at age 3 because we were not able to pass the FE
4. our exclusion has made parents fees more expensive and contributed to their higher costs
5. from September and from when the reforms will take place cms need to be independent and able to manage their businesses and be on an equal footing with other providers
6. Ofsted registered cms MUST understand that agencies will recruit new cms and immediately those cms will be entitled to draw this funding which has been denied to cms over the years
7. the govt will make it easier for schools to accept children at age 2, many parents won't buy this but will be happy to leave their children with a cm...the FE will be an incentive to keep children with us
8. over many many years LAs have set their own accreditation process, set up networks or not, supported cms or not, set their own 'funding formula' paying a lot less for the FE than our costs, have creamed off funding and now, last but not least, many are thinking of setting up agencies to save their jobs
9. representing associations as well as political parties have been aware of the discrepancy in the FE and the 'exclusion' of cms but have done nothing about it.

This is our chance to put things right.

If your LA is still putting up barriers or making unprofessional judgement on this please quote them from this email from the DfE:

''The guidance says that local authorities should fund places for three and four year olds at any provider judged ‘satisfactory’ ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted (assuming there is an eligible three or four year old at the provider).

The position is different for two year olds. ‘Good’ or ‘outstanding’ providers should be funded to deliver places if there is an eligible two year old taking up their place at that provider. However, places for two year olds should only be funded in ‘satisfactory’ providers if there are insufficient accessible places in ‘good’ and ‘outstanding’ providers.

There is nothing in the guidance which prevents local authorities funding places for three and four year olds if the provider chooses not to offer funded places for two year olds.

Local authorities should limit the conditions they place on ‘good’ and ‘outstanding’ providers to those set out in the guidance, that is, those which guard against the misappropriation of public funds, ensure that funded places are completely free of charge to parents, support flexible delivery of places, meet the needs of children with disabilities or special needs and keep children safe.

Although local authorities can place conditions on ‘satisfactory’ providers any conditions should be limited to those which address concerns raised by Ofsted at inspection, which will of course vary between providers.

Where the guidance talks about providers, this means childminders as much as it does group settings. There is no requirement that childminders must be accredited, be part of a network or be qualified to level 3 in order to receive funding. The decision whether to fund a provider should be based on the Ofsted inspection judgement as set out above.''(end)

There are many issues to fight against in More Affordable Childcare...the funding is the first one, we can then move on to the next matters

Write to your LA, or the DfE directly if you still having problems...let them know what the barriers are:
ministers@education.gsi.gov.uk

we can fight this but YOU need to do your bit...we cannot write for you
Lets make sure ALL 152 LAs are being made aware that cms are on the ball on this

Keep us updated of your progress and report any 'difficulties' and above all remember we only have 6 weeks before the reform kicks in!

Simona
24-07-2013, 03:16 PM
My LA has finally emailed all providers regarding this funding...pressure does work at times!!!

This is their message:
''The Statutory Guidance for local authorities “Early Education and Childcare” (Sept 2013) has been released.
All EY Providers judged ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ are eligible to join the Directory of Providers now and draw down funding for 2, 3 and 4 year olds from September 2013.

EY Providers who are waiting for their first full inspection may also join.

We are sending this to all settings, including those already on the Directory of Providers to ensure you all have up to date information.

We are currently working with Kingston to update and produce local Conditions of Grant for September 2013 to August 2014. These will be sent to all those on the Directory of Providers shortly.'' (end)

so the message is clear ...the only thing to wait for is the updated 'conditions of grant' otherwise called the Code of practice...let's see what conditions if 'any' are imposed

All cms should be getting something similar soon

amelia lilly
24-07-2013, 04:14 PM
That is really good useful information thankyou for sharing

Simona
28-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Have any more cms heard from their LA about accessing the funding?

I know they are rewriting their 'rule book' so we may have to wait but can you call them and ask basic information: are you included or will they reinvent the hoops you have to jump through?

I am responding to the More Affordable Childcare and want to add comments on this
Also I do have a contact to write to at the DfE who is in charge of this matter and I want to report as many concerns from cms as possible...please input your experience.

mrs robbie williams
29-07-2013, 11:10 AM
I've just had reply from my DO saying I have to have level 3 and I only have level 2

Chatterbox Childcare
29-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Everything is being looked at etc... all got to be rewritten ... everyone on holidays blah blah blah so who knows when it will happen

I am sure it will all be in place in time but when we will know is the question?

madredann
30-07-2013, 07:19 AM
I have my co-ordinator coming out next week to go through the accreditation process-this involves a booklet (which she say is new)and visits/checks from her and a visit from a teacher and financial person to talk about the funding.

Simona
30-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the updates...looks like from the last 3 messages nothing has changed and LAs continue to do as before.
Keep us posted