PDA

View Full Version : Lost learning journey...

Bumble Beez
19-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Ok, so I'm a little bit blue tonight...
I sent home LJ last week for parents to view, contribute etc...and parent has just collected LO and was due to bring back LJ today, but they can't find it :(
I'm sure it will probably turn up, but if it doesn't what do I do?
I've had LO since 8months and he is now 27months so the LJ was pretty full!
Some things he's done or drawn etc I've got a copy of but a lot will be gone for good if it cannot be found again.
If it doesn't turn up, do I just start LJ again from this week?
I spend so much time on LJ's and am a little annoyed that it may have been lost :( I'm sure the parents are too as its their child's record of development and learning that has gone.

Sarah x

supermumy
19-07-2013, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't send LJ home for this reason

How can parents be so disrespectful :(

The Juggler
19-07-2013, 04:49 PM
that's awful. I do send mine home but I'd be gutted if this happened :(

Sure it will turn up soon x

hectors house
19-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Hope it turns up - maybe if does come back, to limit losing the whole thing again, just send home most recent pages - or just give them the old EYFS (pre Sept) section anyway - Ofsted won't want to see that.

I'm trying to get my LJ's up to date enough to just send home a month's worth in a plastic wallet - I don't include art work, I take a photo of it and put that in LJ and have now started doing observations on computer so I always have a back up copy.

Tell parents to look under sofa and in magazine rack - I expect it will turn up, I guess it technically belongs to the child - but a pain to have to rethink next steps for planning.:panic:

blue bear
19-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Type out a statement to the effect that the parent has lost it and her opinion on it so far. So thing like
Sarah had built up a comprehensive learning journey of our child's development, it was accurate and detailed reflecting our daughter personality as well as her style of learning. It was linked to the eyfs with next steps which we found helpful to use these ideas to continue our daughters learning at home.

Obviously clarify what wording parent Would like to be on it and get her to sign it and date it then start afresh from this week.

I'm nervously waiting for one of mine being returned its two days late :panic:

Bumble Beez
19-07-2013, 05:16 PM
I hope it turns up too :(
I've decided to just carry on from this week and put it in a new folder...if it turns up I can just add in the bits I've done...if not I'll get the parents to sign to say I had done it and start all over again!!
Just frustrating...

Sarah x

sarah707
19-07-2013, 06:29 PM
many years ago one of mine got eaten by the family dog :( Since then I've invited parents in to read it, given tea and cake, put a pen in their hand and asked them to make notes on it at the same time :D

Bumble Beez
19-07-2013, 06:46 PM
many years ago one of mine got eaten by the family dog :( Since then I've invited parents in to read it, given tea and cake, put a pen in their hand and asked them to make notes on it at the same time :D

First time it's happened so was in worry mode lol!
I think I'll do that in future...plus it lets them ask questions etc. Thanks Sarah x

Sarah x

loocyloo
19-07-2013, 08:02 PM

or i go to the parents house with it!

my LJs never go ANYWHERE without me! :D they can't be trusted to come home on one piece!

i was having the same conversation with the nursery teacher at school only yesterday and ways of getting parents to be more involved in LJs ( or anything! ) we had lots of ideas, but the upshot was that the parents that are interested will be interested in whatever/however anything is done, and will come to meetings etc, and the parents that are not interested, will not be interested whatever you do! and that's where i win over school in that i go to the parents house and make them comment! the teachers can't quite do that. the teacher was saying that at the last parents evening 1 out of every 5 parents did not come, and those parents were, of course, the ones they really wanted to talk to!

zippy
19-07-2013, 10:51 PM
This is why I love orbit was always too terrified to send mine home with kids am thinking of doing a little scrap book too though mainly for kids themselves to look through no eyfs in it

amylouise867
19-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Really sorry to hear that!!!
I have my fingers crossed that it finds it's way back to you real soon!!!

Parents ay? xx

AgentTink
20-07-2013, 09:33 AM
I really feel for you, i would be devastated if one of my learning journals went missing/got damaged. I get around this by sending home each observation for the parents to read and comment on. Before i give it to them i scan a copy on my computer so if it goes missing i can just print it out again as i hand write mine. This is were my summartive reports every 6 months come in handy, as i am them constantly keeping parents updated with a overview of their childs development, and they will have seen each of my ob's to that point so will have a good idea already anyway. I find i get more information back from parents if i just give them things a bit at a time.

hectors house
20-07-2013, 10:41 AM
or i go to the parents house with it!

my LJs never go ANYWHERE without me! :D they can't be trusted to come home on one piece!

i was having the same conversation with the nursery teacher at school only yesterday and ways of getting parents to be more involved in LJs ( or anything! ) we had lots of ideas, but the upshot was that the parents that are interested will be interested in whatever/however anything is done, and will come to meetings etc, and the parents that are not interested, will not be interested whatever you do! and that's where i win over school in that i go to the parents house and make them comment! the teachers can't quite do that. the teacher was saying that at the last parents evening 1 out of every 5 parents did not come, and those parents were, of course, the ones they really wanted to talk to!

I used to childmind for a Maths teacher in the local comprehensive school, this was exactly what she used to say that the parents of the children you don't have any concerns about, are the parents who come - to hear how wonderful their child is and the parents you need to see, don't come as they don't want to hear how useless or badly behaved their child is and wouldn't want to do anything about the problem anyway!

amylouise867
20-07-2013, 11:21 AM
I really feel for you, i would be devastated if one of my learning journals went missing/got damaged. I get around this by sending home each observation for the parents to read and comment on. Before i give it to them i scan a copy on my computer so if it goes missing i can just print it out again as i hand write mine. This is were my summartive reports every 6 months come in handy, as i am them constantly keeping parents updated with a overview of their childs development, and they will have seen each of my ob's to that point so will have a good idea already anyway. I find i get more information back from parents if i just give them things a bit at a time.

That is a VERY good idea!!

loocyloo
20-07-2013, 12:29 PM

I like this idea. hmmmm need to have a think how I can do it, as I use scrapbooks with mainly photo obs.

Bambini2
20-07-2013, 01:19 PM
A parent " lost" one of mine for about 6 months. I just carried on doing a few observations and stuck them in when the LJ finally got returned. It wasn't as comprehensive as it should have been but I certainly wasn't going to worry as the parent certainly couldn't have cared less.:angry:. It's now gone home for the final time with no comment from the parent, over 4 years of hard work without a word of thanks. The child concerned however loved to look at it, especially the photographs so hopefully it's somewhere he can look at it and remember the many things he did here with his friends.

Bluebell
20-07-2013, 01:39 PM
A parent " lost" one of mine for about 6 months. I just carried on doing a few observations and stuck them in when the LJ finally got returned. It wasn't as comprehensive as it should have been but I certainly wasn't going to worry as the parent certainly couldn't have cared less.:angry:. It's now gone home for the final time with no comment from the parent, over 4 years of hard work without a word of thanks. The child concerned however loved to look at it, especially the photographs so hopefully it's somewhere he can look at it and remember the many things he did here with his friends.

aww what a shame that its so unappreciated. I happened to babysitting one of the children i used to mind and had taken a scrapbook with me to work on once the children were in bed. the older one said 'oh thats H's' and i pointed out it was a different child but she recognised it and went and got it from the shelf. i was so shocked that it was accessible to the little ones and that they obviously spent time looking through it. i hope yours is also loved and used as not only is it a lot of hard work for you but it is some lovely memories for that child.