PDA

View Full Version : Pre-reg visit Friday - Preparing for your registration visit booklet question help?

michellem
17-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Hi all,

I have my pre-reg visit Friday and i'm really worrying about answering the questions right in the pre-reg visit booklet. I just keep looking at question 1(Give an example of an activity for each 7 areas of development for a very young child and 7 year old) my mind is just not working, i can't get my head around it (I'm really tired which doesn't help). Can anybody give me some examples for this question please as i'm going stir crazy! Also stuck on the following questions:

5. How will you evaluate the success of the activities you plan for the children?

6. How will you assess children's individual needs and starting points when they begin their time with you?

7. How will you know that children are progressing in their learning development and how will you use this knowledge to plan for their future development?

10. What sources of help might you find for children who were not developing in line with expectations?

Also i have seen on another post an inspector askes about how you would plan and communicate for a child with english as a second language? and also how would you accomadate a disable child?

Sorry if i sound stupid, think i really need some sleep but need to get this done!

Thanks in advance, any advice appreciated :)

michellem
18-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Can anyone help me please, it would be very much appreciated x

adedwards68
18-07-2013, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure if its too late now but Sarah does a v good ebook for pre reg visits

mpullen17387
18-07-2013, 03:59 PM
I have just done this for mine on the 30th.. I looked at the eyfs and worked my way backwards, found a statement for the age group, then looked at what I could do and what I could provide, then thought of the activity xx

sarah707
18-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Have you had your pre-reg training? Those sorts of things should be covered in the EYFS bits and you should be able to go back through your notes.

Have a good nosy through the free resources / free downloads section at the top of the forum as well - there is a wealth of information and advice.

Ofsted aren't looking for word perfect - just that you have an idea of the requirements and you are prepared to support children's learning.

Good luck with your inspection! :D

sarah707
18-07-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure if its too late now but Sarah does a v good ebook for pre reg visits

Thank you! I am so pleased you found it useful :D

michellem
18-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, i feel much calmer this evening. I think i was over thinking everything. Think everything is just about prepared now ready for my visit at 9am in the morning. Now off to sort my ID and give the floors another mop and then to bed to try and get some sleep :)

mpullen17387
19-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Good luck today for your visit, I have mine on the 30th and would love to hear some feedback about how it went xx

michellem
19-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Hi guys,

Had my pre-reg visit this morning and passed:) Soo happy, she said i should receive my certificate by this time next week and i have a couple of familys waiting to sign contracts already so i will be up and running very soon!

The inspector was lovely really put my ease, my mind went completely blank at one point but she was really helpful and encouraging. She was here for about 3.5 hours, spent the 1st ten minutes looking around the house (she looked in every room). We then sat down for the questioning, she went through id and certificates etc first. We then went through the 7 areas of learning and development, this was in great detail and you need much more than 1 activity as specified in the booklet. she basically wanted to know what i would do to support and encourage learning for each sub area. This part lasted approx an hour and a half so quite detailed. We then went through safeguarding, permission forms, Policies and procedures and risk assessments. I spent hours and hours preparing all my paperwork like risk assessments, policies and procedures, learning Journey, daily diary, all about me, accident book, observation trackers etc etc but she did not look at ANY of it. She asked me about my risk assessments and policies but never actually looked at them! She asked about accomadating children with a disability and also how you would support a child to whom english was their second language.

I posted previously about fire guards as it was something i didn't want to have to put up, i did a risk assessment as to how i would keep children safe without one but she never mentioned the fireplace or asked if i had risk assessed it! So i am glad i didn't go and fork out for one.

All in all it was much more relaxed than i expected, the inspector was lovely and we chatted and got on really well, i also learnt alot from her.

Good luck to anyone else with a pre-reg looming, it really isn't as bad as you think so don't worry!

Michelle x

teacakepenguin
19-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Yay well done you, enjoy minding!!!

mpullen17387
19-07-2013, 08:50 PM
That's fantastic!.. Well done you.. Also thanks for the feedback xxx

lucyk
19-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Hi. Can I ask how long it took from you applying until ofsted came?

mpullen17387
19-07-2013, 09:22 PM
I put in my application in January and getting visit on 30th.. Our area (surrey) is apparently having lots of delays due to getting certain reports in/ back xxx

covgalxxx
20-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Great feedback, I also would like to know I put my ofsted application in may haven't heard a thing, but I do know they got 1 reference, as my friend said she posted it back last week,, I have moved city's so I know that will take longer..

michellem
20-07-2013, 08:46 AM
hi all, i sent my application off early May time, so it was all quite quick :)

joolieb
20-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Hi, ive been giving myself a headache with question 1 as well. My understanding of it/aim of the question is for you to show the inspector that you understand a 4 yr old and say a 1 yr old can both do the same activity but get different learning experience from it. For example, water play, a 1 yr old would be enjoying pouring water into different containers, and that would be practising their moving and handling, fitting into physical of eyfs, whilst the 4 yr old cold be pouring into measuring jugs learning how many cups of water it takes to fill the jug therefore fitting into mathematics of eyfs. Or say painting, a 1 yr old would get more out of using hands or fingers or stampers or rollers, where a 4 yr old would be maybe making marks with meaning so would maybe prefer a paintbrush.
Ive forgotton your other questions so will post this and have a read and post more if i can help any!