PDA

View Full Version : Schools to offer sleepover to help parents

Simona
16-07-2013, 01:25 PM
This govt is going to destroy cms and our businesses....they must be desperate having found no solutions to make childcare cheaper

I don't know whether to laugh or cry???

Schools urged to hold sleepovers to help parents with childcare - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10182584/Schools-urged-to-hold-sleepovers-to-help-parents-with-childcare.html)

The Juggler
16-07-2013, 01:34 PM
sorry!!!!!!!:panic::panic: is it the 1st of April or something

speechless :panic:

AgentTink
16-07-2013, 01:34 PM
This govt is going to destroy cms and our businesses....they must be desperate having found no solutions to make childcare cheaper

I don't know whether to laugh or cry???

Schools urged to hold sleepovers to help parents with childcare - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10182584/Schools-urged-to-hold-sleepovers-to-help-parents-with-childcare.html)

The telegraph is over sensationlising this just a bit... there is one free school who offer occasional sleep overs, which was part of the schools used in the More affordable childcare proposals. There is no way this could even be a viable option for schools :panic: anyway when did more affordable childcare become about giving the parents a break every now and again at night so that they could have a night out/or some time to themselves, because that is the reason this free school offers it.

loocyloo
16-07-2013, 01:44 PM
isn't that a boarding school?

and did anyone read that they are going to change it that you can look after someones elses child for 3 hours and not have to be registered ... so if that's 3 hrs a day ... you could have a house full of afterschoolers ( of whatever age ) and not be registered. :(

Mouse
16-07-2013, 01:52 PM

and did anyone read that they are going to change it that you can look after someones elses child for 3 hours and not have to be registered ... so if that's 3 hrs a day ... you could have a house full of afterschoolers ( of whatever age ) and not be registered. :(

That's how I read it :panic:

AgentTink
16-07-2013, 02:20 PM
That's how I read it :panic:

yep, thats how i read it too.

lisbet
16-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Yep, read that too :(

emma04
16-07-2013, 03:25 PM
If they stopped spending money on unnecessarily high government salaries, sent a few folk back to their own country to serve their prison sentences and stopped wasting money on crappy sculptures and other needless stuff. Then there would be enough in the pot to subsidise childcare for all!

At the end of the day, all children are this country's future and deserve decent care and their carers deserve a salary that equals their high responsibilities!!

Oh! and the high cost of child care DOES NOT equal high incomes for child care professionals!!

SYLVIA
16-07-2013, 04:45 PM

That was my first thought. Boarding school!

Bumble Beez
16-07-2013, 04:57 PM
"We are also making it easier for friends and neighbours to offer informal childcare by raising the limit from two to three hours before having to register as a childminder with Ofsted."

Now that has annoyed me...at this rate there will be no need for before or after school runs.
What exactly do the govt think this will achieve? Grrrrr....

So anyone can offer 3-6 after school care, don't need to be registered as a childminder and be put thru inspections, training, hassle etc and can have as many kids as they want?!

:'(

Sarah x

wendywu
16-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Sounds like abuse and neglect waiting to happen :panic::mad:

loocyloo
16-07-2013, 05:25 PM
"We are also making it easier for friends and neighbours to offer informal childcare by raising the limit from two to three hours before having to register as a childminder with Ofsted."

Now that has annoyed me...at this rate there will be no need for before or after school runs.
What exactly do the govt think this will achieve? Grrrrr....

So anyone can offer 3-6 after school care, don't need to be registered as a childminder and be put thru inspections, training, hassle etc and can have as many kids as they want?!

:'(

Sarah x

i'm not impressed .... BUT ... I could offer my afterschoolies care, and then just run 3 hr sessions each day for EY children and not need to be registered! ok, so that won't help my parents who all need care all day but would be less work for me! did you also read that they want to remove the limit on ratios 1:8 for out of school settings? ARGHHHHH! pile them in pile them high! :(

Bumble Beez
16-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Sounds like abuse and neglect waiting to happen :panic::mad:

Who will regulate what care the children are receiving? It just seems like a really bad decision...wonder who will take the blame when it all goes wrong?!

Sarah x

Stapleton83
16-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Who do they think are going to run them and where though???

I am shaking my head in disbelief :panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

Sam x

bunyip
16-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Who do they think are going to run them and where though???

I am shaking my head in disbelief :panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

Sam x

Most the Tory cabinet thing you already can sleepover at school, cos it's what they did.

Eton............ Harrow................. Winchester................ Charterhouse...................... Radley.......................... ;)

Samijanec
16-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Hopefully this won't spread to Scotland, we seem to be well supported up here so far!

Emra81
16-07-2013, 06:30 PM
So having removed my jaw from the floor I've got to ask...who the HELL are they planning on drafting in to 'babysit' these poor children sleeping over?! Staff in schools are already run ragged! And since when is it within a schools remit to offer a babysitting service so parents can have a kiddie free evening?!

AND I don't know any normal state schools with the necessary facilities to offer this....are we talking camp beds in the school hall?! Washing faces and cleaning teeth in the childrens toilets?! Bleurgh! Lots of schools don't have the facilities to offer dinner and breakfast so what are they expecting the children to eat?! No way would my dd be spending the night at school!

Schools can't be all things to all people...especially when they're the first to get blamed for most issues relating to our country's poor, messed-about children!

LittleAcornsThatcham
16-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Maybe the three hours rule is so lots of unregistered people take over schoolies, give cm a bad name, and then parents use schools/wrap around instead. And we become obsolete

bunyip
16-07-2013, 06:45 PM
So having removed my jaw from the floor I've got to ask...who the HELL are they planning on drafting in to 'babysit' these poor children sleeping over?!

What's the betting Group4 are interested? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Simona
16-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Bunyip...Serco may even be interested...they were after all involved in the care of the elderly were they not? ...and look at the outstanding service they provided!!!

bunyip
17-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Bunyip...Serco may even be interested...they were after all involved in the care of the elderly were they not? ...and look at the outstanding service they provided!!!

Aren't they the ones who assess people for invalidity benefit? One of their Midlands assessment centres is on the first floor, with no lift and they won't allow wheelchairs on the premises...................... which I guess fulfils their target in cutting the number of applicants. :panic:

JCrakers
17-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Sorry....that's just hilarious :laughing:

Sleepovers at school? Who is going to sleepover with the children? Volunteers, parents, teachers, or just random people?
I certainly wouldnt want to work all through the night and can yo Imagine trying to get these children to bed so they can have a good nights sleep ready for school the next day.

Ive experienced a cub sleepover and its not a pretty sight....lol

Im sure the people who think up these ideas are being paid far too much and spending a lot of their money on drugs....they are delutional

JCrakers
17-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Thinking about it seriously, school children make up a lot of my wages so if I couldn't take these children then I would have to put up my prices for younger children.........

Meaning higher costs for parents or no business for me

Bumble Beez
17-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Thinking about it seriously, school children make up a lot of my wages so if I couldn't take these children then I would have to put up my prices for younger children.........

Meaning higher costs for parents or no business for me

Lol! And the whole idea is to reduce childcare costs...and I thought there was a shortage of qualified childminders? Makes no sense at all...

Sarah x

Tealady
17-07-2013, 09:46 AM
The one Free-School that did the sleep-overs only offer it on an occasional basis, so how is that childcare.

Wonder if it's a PTA fundraiser on a Friday night and the other parents use it to go out on the lash! :)

LittleAcornsThatcham
17-07-2013, 10:01 AM
In the US and Australia schools run a far better assortment of reliable after school activities/summer school etc (again bigger focus on high school than elementary/middle school but still) which few schools in this country can cope with alone! Whatever activities my children sign up for till 4/415/430 in the afternoon are not reliable and invariably cancelled -but on the back of this they'll now be open till 6 voluntarily, or overnight?!

Jods
17-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Recently at a Schools Awards ceremony DD2 headmaster listed 25 education points that have been raised on the BBC new channel alone in the last month!! ranging from ratios to providing more lessons in how to de-stress, honestly the list was ridiculous!!

Rubybubbles
17-07-2013, 10:32 AM
I don't do many school runs but echo, no more need for school run childminders then!

My children go to boarding school but this seems nuts!!

rickysmiths
17-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Well the issue is solved.

Mum at home for the first year.

Child in school at two.

All schools will be full boarding schools from day one.

All free because they are state schools

Mommy and Daddy can work any hours they want to and go out and party because their little one is in care.

Mommy and Daddy plan an 18th birthday party, buy little one their own pad with the money saved on childcare.

Lovely mommy and Dad only have to fund one year of child raising.

Problem solved cheap child care for all.

:clapping::laughing::clapping::laughing::ROFL1::RO FL1::mad:

bunyip
17-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Government's long term favoured option is far simpler than that, RS.

Boarding schools for those who can afford them.

Workhouses for everyone else. :p

wendywu
17-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Sorry but this just get more and more stupid by the minute. Its like they are clutching at straws and pulling ideas out of thin air without thinking it through.

The rest of the world must be laughing in their socks at us :laughing:

Simona
17-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Aren't they the ones who assess people for invalidity benefit? One of their Midlands assessment centres is on the first floor, with no lift and they won't allow wheelchairs on the premises...................... which I guess fulfils their target in cutting the number of applicants. :panic:

Bunyip I thought that was ATOS?
will children who need a sleepover have to pass a special test?

In answer to those who ask who will be supervising those children ...cms of course!!!
isn't that what the Childcare hub idea is about...flexible childcare between providers with cms doing lots of the care, none of the education and in this case patrolling at night to ensure children get a good night sleep!!!

Utterly laughable!

Koala
17-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Sometimes I wonder why parents have kids, I can't beleive it sometimes:-

Why would a parent want their kid to sleep over at school. Well I know why really, because they can't be :censored: to look after them themselves!

Can I have a moan?
I had a parent moaning this morning because their nearly 4 year old won't go to sleep until 8pm, he is picked up from me at 5.30pm sometimes later gets home maybe 6pm and put to bed for 7pm. I know children need their sleep but maybe a bit of interaction would go down well.
I know that a lot of my parents would jump at the chance to have their children stay elsewhere overnight just so they got some rest 'me time'. Am I just a moany or do others feel that some parents are just ridiculously lazy and selfish. Not all parents, I know, I am a parent too and I wouldn't dream of my child having a sleepover at school. How does it help out the parent? It just fuels idleness and their lack of taking responsibility for their children.

Sorry, i'm a bit :censored: off.

mama2three
17-07-2013, 01:02 PM

Why would a parent want their kid to sleep over at school. Well I know why really, because they can't be :censored: to look after them themselves!

Can I have a moan?
I had a parent moaning this morning because their nearly 4 year old won't go to sleep until 8pm, he is picked up from me at 5.30pm sometimes later gets home maybe 6pm and put to bed for 7pm. I know children need their sleep but maybe a bit of interaction would go down well.
I know that a lot of my parents would jump at the chance to have their children stay elsewhere overnight just so they got some rest 'me time'. Am I just a moany or do others feel that some parents are just ridiculously lazy and selfish. Not all parents, I know, I am a parent too and I wouldn't dream of my child having a sleepover at school. How does it help out the parent? It just fuels idleness and their lack of taking responsibility for their children.

oh dear Koala !
In the past I may have used an occasional 'well-run' sleepover at school.
I hope it doesn't make me one of the irresponsible idle ones!
I didn't have the luxury of parents or family around to babysit , was in a new area , and didn't go out .
Im sure my 2 boys would have loved it , a bit like a cub-camp , and a big adventure.
I don't think its a bad idea at all , managed properly and offered occasionally.

But , it most certainly doesnt come under the heading of 'childcare' in the government sense - Im sure there aren't many parents with those working hours for a start!
Its a luxury or a 'perk' to parents of one school out of thousands.

Simona
17-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Are parents expecting the schools to offer this for free or at a charge?
How much are those watching over children while they sleep be paid?

Looks likely to me that cms will have less children to look after in future so I can earn money while sleeping...considering I have a wonderful bedroom for children, own bathroom, I can add bedtime story, homework, a good dinner, breakfast at 8am and take to school by 9am

That's me sorted and the rest of the day is mine!!

Rubybubbles
17-07-2013, 03:20 PM

Can I have a moan?

As a parent of 2 children that go to boarding school I resent the fact you say I can't be bothered to do it myself. Without knowing everyone's reasons you cannot put everyone under the same umbrella

I am not defending overnight schooling at all, having children to farm them off is def not for me to have "time off" I work 6:30-6:30 and don't sit down till 9pm most evenings

Please remember this is an open forum pretty much and I am fed up of childminders moaning all the time about parents. If it wasn't for the parents we would not have jobs.

oxfordshirecm
17-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Yep that's how I read it

Sounds more like a boarding school can't see how it would work

Also wouldn't it cost lots to set up- same sex dormitories staffing to look after the children etc - who would pay for that?

Koala
17-07-2013, 05:06 PM
As a parent of 2 children that go to boarding school I resent the fact you say I can't be bothered to do it myself. Without knowing everyone's reasons you cannot put everyone under the same umbrella

I am not defending overnight schooling at all, having children to farm them off is def not for me to have "time off" I work 6:30-6:30 and don't sit down till 9pm most evenings

Please remember this is an open forum pretty much and I am fed up of childminders moaning all the time about parents. If it wasn't for the parents we would not have jobs.

Not all parents, I know,

Simona
17-07-2013, 06:17 PM
The problem is that this govt does not think and considers what is already in place that could be explored and encouraged....their arrogance is beyond belief.
Cms already do 'overnight' care and who knows that many more would not register for it if the need was there?

Rather than say the schools will be asked to help parents by providing 'sleepover' to help them what would have been the reaction had the govt said 'we would look into cms extending overnight care and facilitate the registration process'?

there is a vast difference between a 'sleepover' and 'caring' for a child when a parent does a night shift and that care is by a registered cm...
which would the parents prefer?

adedwards68
17-07-2013, 06:25 PM
These 3 hours care are ok for before and after school, not that I agree, but what happens in school holidays

Emra81
17-07-2013, 07:23 PM
I've got it! MP's should roll their sleeves up and get down to their local schools to run these wonderful sleepovers! It would certainly help us swallow the bitter pill that is their 12% pay increase and might give them the slightest clue what it's like to actually to be at the sharp end of one of these ingenious proposals.

Truss and Gove could definitely do with a spot of work experience....

bunyip
18-07-2013, 07:22 AM
I've got it! MP's should roll their sleeves up and get down to their local schools to run these wonderful sleepovers! It would certainly help us swallow the bitter pill that is their 12% pay increase and might give them the slightest clue what it's like to actually to be at the sharp end of one of these ingenious proposals.

Truss and Gove could definitely do with a spot of work experience....

Love this^^^ :laughing:

The vision of children sleeping out on the floor of a school hall puts me in mind of the sort of 'emergency accommodation' the authorities set up in the wake of a disaster. :(

A more comfortable solution would be to let the children sleep in the local MP's empty constituency home, whilst said MP is living it up in their taxpayer-funded Kensington penthouse suite. They'd probably even have a spare au pair kicking about to provide the childcare. :rolleyes:

Simona
18-07-2013, 08:01 AM
How about thinking a positive strategy regarding this matter?
I hope cms have understood that More Affordable Childcare may see the end of a service cms have offered for over 30 years? and is the beginning of deregulation for some services?

Without the school children we will be left with just babies up to the age of 2 and then nothing...this in turn will mean we will have to raise our fees in order to sustain our businesses...many established cms may give up but this is probably what the govt wants...less of us and more agency cms to replace us?

Many schools will not have the facilities to offer sleepover let alone find 'suitable people' willing to work nights
many schools may not be willing to open during the half term/summer holidays as parents may not want to run these clubs so they may turn to cms...something very clear in MAC

Pacey have responded on this by stating that cms may be forced to change their status and pay...meaning we will become employees in a holiday/after school club?

Maybe the solution is to engage with schools and make then aware that cms can be registered for overnight care and do holiday cover?

Things are changing in September and we have very few weeks in which to act

Yes some parents will not choose a school for cover and continue using cms but the attraction of lower fees will be very appealing to them with little red tape and paperwork...

Food for thought!!

Ripeberry
18-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Pity you can't become a self employed nanny. I would do that in a flash!

LittleAcornsThatcham
18-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Ripeberry - you can?!

Bumble Beez
18-07-2013, 01:11 PM

I know a lady who is self employed as a nanny :)

Sarah x

rickysmiths
18-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Yep that's how I read it

Sounds more like a boarding school can't see how it would work

Also wouldn't it cost lots to set up- same sex dormitories staffing to look after the children etc - who would pay for that?

Well if they did it from 2 to 18 they wouldn't need to pay any free funded places, no tax credits for childcare, no childcare vouchers, no child benefit, no childminders, no Day Nurseries so that would pay for it. :rolleyes:

Mind you Unemployment would go up but some of those would get jobs in these new Boarding Schools. It would be cheaper for parents because state school is free they would have no food etc apart from the short school holidays, less money spent on clothes because the bulk of the time children would be in school uniform or night clothes, less washing and drying, less heating, less water also less toys etc needed. The government would make sure all parents could have the time off between them to cover the shorter holidays.

oxfordshirecm
18-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Wow when you put it like that being a parent sounds like a holiday- can have the best if both worlds- reality I don't think would match up tho

Simona
18-07-2013, 08:35 PM

There are many so called 'self employed nannies'...they are not registered and have little or no qualifications in childcare and taking cms business away!!

There is also a campaign to 'regulate' all childcare workers...rather strange as the DfE is at present busy 'deregulating' cms via agencies...don't you think???

This thread has lost the meaning of what the article is really about...read between the lines everyone!

Simona
18-07-2013, 10:06 PM

And here is the proof SERCO are circling around ...

Social services for vulnerable children in England to be privatised (http://m.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jul/18/social-services-children-privatised-labour)