PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for me to get a good grade?

sarahb1985
11-07-2013, 10:21 PM
I've been minding 1 child since February.
Mindee only comes part time and does not attend any other setting.
I therefore have no experience of working with other settings.
I only mind one child who is with me 2 days a week, I haven't done my level 3 yet, hope to start in September, I don't know any other childminders in my area and we haven't been to any children centres.
I don't have a garden.
Child sleeps either in a carrier on me or in buggy as she does at home so I don't have specific sleeping areas at my house because I haven't needed any.
I am still in the process of purchasing necessary resources although I do have a lot now.
I am just thinking it will be hard for me to get satisfactory let alone good :/
I am working soo hard getting paperwork ready, I think I have everything I need paperwork wise.
I am confident in my observations and we go on lots of trips and outings.
Child enjoys being at mine and is showing good development.
I have attended lots of courses on different subjects.
I have a home corner, a sand table, multiculture resources, lots of small world toys, resources for every learning area, age specific.
I have 2 children starting in September and am getting paperwork ready including working with other settings paperwork and policies.

My question is will OFSTED mark me down on all these things?

I feel I am following EYFS framework well.
I only work 2 days but I am doing paperwork, planning, researching, printing posters and pictures and doing online shopping every single night!!

starschildmind
12-07-2013, 06:00 AM
And breathe...... :)

I feel your worry i just had my inspection.
I printed off 'are you ready for your inspection' and the requiements of the early years register and child care register. Just to make sure i had everything that was asked.

I also didnt know that you could get the fact sheet of guidance that inspectors have to follow to grade your setting. May be worth while havig a look its on ofsted website somewhere.

Have you got eyfs posters visible? Also all your areas labbled - lots of visual aids. Make sure they have pictures with lables to. Self registration. I also have a parents notice board.
Also the day on my inspection i put pasta, carrots, rice and potatoes in my home corner - make sure you have plenty of 'natural resorces' i have real pots and pans, tea cups and mini tea pot etc.

Good.practice is everything you should be doing to progees the child. Have you gor your progress tracker for your mindie?

Hope that helps. Does sound like your doing a good job :) xx

sarah707
12-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Some inspectors will only give satisfactory grades at 1st inspection because they say childminders do not have embedded self evaluation - if you get one of those then sadly you'll be stuck.

However, you can only do your best so show off how much you have achieved and be positive about where you are going next with your business :D

starschildmind
14-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Some inspectors will only give satisfactory grades at 1st inspection because they say childminders do not have embedded self evaluation - if you get one of those then sadly you'll be stuck.

However, you can only do your best so show off how much you have achieved and be positive about where you are going next with your business :D

I quizzed my inspector about this. She said they come in exspecting a 'good' and go from there :) so dont panic x

munch149
15-07-2013, 12:43 PM
I quizzed my inspector about this. She said they come in exspecting a 'good' and go from there :) so dont panic x

Mine didn't he was well known for only ever giving satisfactory to newbies

Glitter
15-07-2013, 01:02 PM
For my first inspection I was looking after one child for 6 hours once a week. I still got a good grading.

I think the thing that helped was my improvements and evaluation book. This is a notebook in which I write in everything I need to improve (like need to buy new paints or need to fix gate). When I complete a task I date it and write how it has improved my service (the new paints allowed me to offer more art activities and the fixed gate allowed me to use my garden again).

The inspector really liked it as it showed how I reflected and improved my service.

Good luck with your inspection.

FizzWizz
15-07-2013, 02:06 PM
I only had one child part time during my first inspection and managed to get good. Whilst it can be down to inspector's views on people who have not been minding long, certain things definitely help like completing your SEF to show reflection and also knowing and meeting the needs of the one child you have in your care which it sounds like you are really focussed on :)

The main thing is to be yourself and try not to worry too much - show confidence in explaining why you do things and if the inspector asks about working in partnership with other settings then say what you would do if it was ever needed etc :clapping:

sarahb1985
15-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Thankyou all so much!
Starting to feel a bit more relaxed!
Lots of fabulous advice and tips, I definitely will sort an evaluation book. I keep meaning to start my SEF on OFSTED's site but I feel a notebook will be much easier for me for now.
I once again have paperwork all over the place because I keep reading on this site different ways to do things! I wish I knew exactly what OFSTED are looking for!
I know the child is happy and developing well it's just trying to show evidence and provide every little detail that's the hardest part!
Thankyou all again :)x